Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've had Golston for the last decade. Why are you complaining?  Lol

Seriously though, did he just retire?

I actually have always liked Golston, as the 4-3 DT that he is. Not a great player but he gave you everything he had, overcame a horrible car accident when he was 18 that almost killed him and he had to learn to walk again. I will never, ever speak badly if Golston. But he was never going to be a Nose in the NFL. From what I remember, he was not offered a contract this year. I only wish him the best, and I hope when it comes to it, he signs a one day contract and retires as a Redskin.

18 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Thats one way of looking at it. I think they're going to continue going young and either use one of the young guys (Ioannidis, McCain, McGee, Francis, Mbu) until somebody either wins the job or someone emerges. Then there are a number of veterans available who may or may not be able to play the position: Arthur Jones, Dan Williams, Jaye Howard, Vince Wilfork, Sen'Derrick Marks, Roy Miller, Paul Soliai, Jonathan Babineaux, Sean Lissemore, Corbin Bryant, Kedric GOlston, Tony McDaniel, Leger Douzable, etc. 

IMO, the young guys we have are not even JAGs. They are afterthoughts. I have zero faith that any of them have the ability to be anything more than a horrible NT. I would have drafted one in the 6th round, there were 2 I liked there that I thought would have be at least serviceable players. McClain and McGee are not NTs and to try and use them as such will result in the same outcome we've had over the last 7 years. Horrible results. McGee might be the better of the 2. But he also likes to get hurt. But then, so does McClain

I don't think there is any way Ioannidis can play NT this year. I don't know if he will be able to play it next year. He might be better off playing DE. Frances cant even get off the practice squad, and neither can Mbu. If the only 2 guys that have the physical traits to play NT on the entire team can't get off the practice squad, and you end up with a 300 pound 1 gap DE doing it instead, you'll have to forgive my lack of optimism on those 2. I'm not sure a UDFA is going to do much worse. The bar is set so low, it more of a limbo bar than a high jump bar.

There are a couple vets I would like to see brought in from your list, and yet............we have not made any moves.

You keep saying that we're giving Tomsula nothing but between Allen, Hood, McGee and McCain, he has some talent at DE. The question is just if he can find somebody to play the NT position while they rotate. The mere addition of Allen will immediately take pressure off the NT so its not like anything we've had here in the past 7 (or even 25) years. The whole reports behind all the guys on our DL (outside of Allen) is their ability to stop the run and suspect pass rush. I really do have faith that we have a lot more talent on the DL and the defense as a whole this year. 

I have been, and always have been referring to NT when it comes to lack of talent. Until the draft, we had, at best, not regressed. At worse, taken a step or 2 backwards. Baker was better than anyone we added in FA. Allen was a HUGE addition. But even he is not going to help that much with our NT issues.

Every interview from Gruden has been about how Tomsula will make a NT. I'm sorry, but that is the kind of thing that makes me want to punch Gruden in the face. Give him something to work with, so he can make a NT better.

And like I said in the draft thread, it got to the point where I doubt the players being considered were better than UDFAs or some of the guys we have on our roster. Sure I'd like to bring in some guys for competition but if we go forward with the guys on the roster before the draft it doesn't doom us to repeat the Giants game for 16 straight weeks. 

Allen is the only guy that makes the DL better than it was last year. But outside of that, we're basically done nothing. We gave up 5 yards a carry on first down each of the last 2 years, last in the NFL both years. The down that we usually have our NT on the field. And, if you do not do something to address the NT, we will be looking at exactly the same thing. It will doom is to be run all over like the Giants Cowboys, and any team with a good OL and running back have done.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

@Morneblade is your idea of a true NT based more upon size or upon skillset?

Both

You need a guy that can take double teams and anchor. In a 1 gap system like we run, you do not need a 350 pound guy, that's more of a 2 gap NT. But a a 310 pound guy usually is going to get moved off the ball big time unless he is he is freakishly strong, and they usually do not exist. In our system, a 320 pound guy that is very powerful, that has some initial quickness to penetrate, but sill have a anchor would be ideal. NTs have to deal with a double team most of the the time, and sometimes a triple team, via a FB chip or a pulling guard that chips before going after a LB on the 2nd level. It's a very hard job, which is why Chris Baker wanted no part of it while he was here.

So, it's mostly skill set. But size matters because you just can't find the skill set in people that are smaller. A silverback Gorilla would be a perfect NT. Low center of gravity so you are hard to cut, and people can't get under your pads, long arms, so you don't get controlled, a punch that could cave a man's chest in and the kind of strength that you could rip a mans arms off if you wanted.

It's the big reason I would prefer to move to a 4-3. Skilled NTs are so hard to find because it's so physically demanding and thankless, there are only a handful of people that can actually do it, much less want to.

@morneblade 

First welcome back!!!  How many plays do you think a true NT will play in our defense?  Or do you want a NT who will stay on the field when we're in dime?  Do you think Allen can be that guy?

3 minutes ago, dckey said:

@morneblade 

First welcome back!!!  How many plays do you think a true NT will play in our defense?  Or do you want a NT who will stay on the field when we're in dime?  Do you think Allen can be that guy?

Thanks!!

It depends on the guy really. If he ends up being a more "typical" 2 down NT, something like 20 plays. A 3 down NT, which is almost impossible to find would give you more. Most of the NTs in the draft or in FA are 2 down guys, so they would come off the field. But say, someone like Phil Taylor in his rookie year had 7 sacks, you could leave him on the field in passing situations. But most NTs can't do that. That is one reason why Taylor was a 1st round pick.

Allen is 283. I think he would get moved 5 yards off the LoS trying to play NT. I do think he would be good at DT in our nickle though.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Thanks!!

It depends on the guy really. If he ends up being a more "typical" 2 down NT, something like 20 plays. A 3 down NT, which is almost impossible to find would give you more. 

So wouldnt that be the position that you focused on the least because of usage?  Now if we were able to get a 3 down NT, he would be worth every penny.  Can any of our DE play NT for those 15-20 plays and be somewhat effecient?

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

... I don't think there is any way Ioannidis can play NT this year. I don't know if he will be able to play it next year. He might be better off playing DE. Frances cant even get off the practice squad, and neither can Mbu. If the only 2 guys that have the physical traits to play NT on the entire team can't get off the practice squad ...

You say the stuff above, but then think that the two 6th rounders you identified would be better?  Maybe, but most likely, those 6th rounders would need a year or 2 on the practice squad getting smarter and stronger.  Well Mbu and Ioannidis are now stronger and smarter than they were last year.  I would bet that they would both beat out your 6th rounders (at least this year.) 

1 hour ago, dckey said:

So wouldnt that be the position that you focused on the least because of usage?  Now if we were able to get a 3 down NT, he would be worth every penny.  Can any of our DE play NT for those 15-20 plays and be somewhat effecient?

No. The 3-4 Defense is based completely around the NT. If you are going to draft DE's, OLB's ILB's for this system, you have to have a nose. If you don't want to invest in nose, run a 4-3, and invest around a MLB.

Stacy McGee might be the only guy that has a possibility. He's supposed to be really stout and can anchor, but not much of a pass rusher. So he would still be a 2 down NT, and I have doubts he could hold up anyway. He has a injury history and has never really had a good NFL season.

But back to your original statement. Yes, maybe only getting 30% of your snaps is not  huge, but the problem is that basically, your entire front 7 is based off this one person. You don't have OLB in a 4-3.  DE's in a 4-3 rush the passer. 2 DT's literally do the job of one NT. Literally every other position is based off of a 3 down linemen set, and when you move to our nickle, which is a 4-3 in our scheme, every player is now in a position they are not really suited well for. Now, literally the entire front 7 is putting a square peg in a round hole to a certain extent, and they are not as effective.

Here is an example of a guy I would have drafted. 6th rounder, 3 down NT. D.J. Jones

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/d.j.-jones?id=2558265

"Analysis

Strengths

Has a big bubble and plays with a wide base. Outrageous weight room strength with monster numbers in clean, bench, and squat. Plays low and fires upward strikes to elevate the blocker's center of gravity. Has the play strength to rip through an edge once he gets to it. Has quick hands and is nice with the swim move. Has necessary play traits to be an effective rusher in the twist game. Rare reactive athleticism and short-area lateral quickness for an interior player. Extended tackle radius allows him to close out running lanes away from his gap. Keeps hounding runners down the field for the tackle. Instinctive and quickly sniffs out screen passes. Very rarely on ground.

Bottom Line

Jones has a freaky combination of power and athleticism that isn't seen all that often. While his playing style is reminiscent of Grady Jarrett's, keep in mind that he's a bigger player. Despite his impressive play attributes, Jones failed to generate the production that his flashes on tape would indicate he's capable of. If a coach can unlock more consistency, Jones has a chance to flourish as a one-gapping nose with three-down ability."

Keep this in mind. This was a 6th round pick. This is not a 1st or 2nd round pick. This is a 6th round pick, a pick that at best is a developmental pick that might plays some special teams in his first year. Not a guy that is a likely starter and is basically the piece the entire defense is based around. Is that really asking too much?

22 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

You say the stuff above, but then think that the two 6th rounders you identified would be better?  Maybe, but most likely, those 6th rounders would need a year or 2 on the practice squad getting smarter and stronger.  Well Mbu and Ioannidis are now stronger and smarter than they were last year.  I would bet that they would both beat out your 6th rounders (at least this year.) 

Doubtful. I don't think either have what it takes to be NTs I think Ioannidis can be a pretty decent DE for us. He's still small though, he only managed to put 10 pounds on and that was underwhelming for me. When I saw him play, he got moved around an awful lot, so I don't know if he can anchor at an NFL level. He might grow into it, but he has a long way to go.

Many of you think you can just get a guy big enough and he can play NT. That is not the case. It's the most physically demanding position in football and requires a skill set most do not have. It's much harder that eating a lot of cheeseburgers.

That being said, I never played NT, at any level. I played WR and FS through HS and for a short time played WR in college (you can read about that disaster in another thread) so I am no expert, and I'm wrong more than I am right. I am not a coach, nor am I a talent scout.

But I've been around the game, played at a high enough level to make a high level D1 school that played some pretty nasty defense. And over the years has put out some interior defensive lineman that were very, very good, and saw up close what is required.

I won't talk about the WR's. We were known as "Wide Receiver U" for quite some time. And if I told you who one of the guys I was trying to beat out, you'd freak out. ;)

I actually have always liked Golston, as the 4-3 DT that he is. Not a great player but he gave you everything he had, overcame a horrible car accident when he was 18 that almost killed him and he had to learn to walk again. I will never, ever speak badly if Golston. But he was never going to be a Nose in the NFL. From what I remember, he was not offered a contract this year. I only wish him the best, and I hope when it comes to it, he signs a one day contract and retires as a Redskin.

IMO, the young guys we have are not even JAGs. They are afterthoughts. I have zero faith that any of them have the ability to be anything more than a horrible NT. I would have drafted one in the 6th round, there were 2 I liked there that I thought would have be at least serviceable players. McClain and McGee are not NTs and to try and use them as such will result in the same outcome we've had over the last 7 years. Horrible results. McGee might be the better of the 2. But he also likes to get hurt. But then, so does McClain

I don't think there is any way Ioannidis can play NT this year. I don't know if he will be able to play it next year. He might be better off playing DE. Frances cant even get off the practice squad, and neither can Mbu. If the only 2 guys that have the physical traits to play NT on the entire team can't get off the practice squad, and you end up with a 300 pound 1 gap DE doing it instead, you'll have to forgive my lack of optimism on those 2. I'm not sure a UDFA is going to do much worse. The bar is set so low, it more of a limbo bar than a high jump bar.

There are a couple vets I would like to see brought in from your list, and yet............we have not made any moves.

I have been, and always have been referring to NT when it comes to lack of talent. Until the draft, we had, at best, not regressed. At worse, taken a step or 2 backwards. Baker was better than anyone we added in FA. Allen was a HUGE addition. But even he is not going to help that much with our NT issues.

Every interview from Gruden has been about how Tomsula will make a NT. I'm sorry, but that is the kind of thing that makes me want to punch Gruden in the face. Give him something to work with, so he can make a NT better.

Allen is the only guy that makes the DL better than it was last year. But outside of that, we're basically done nothing. We gave up 5 yards a carry on first down each of the last 2 years, last in the NFL both years. The down that we usually have our NT on the field. And, if you do not do something to address the NT, we will be looking at exactly the same thing. It will doom is to be run all over like the Giants Cowboys, and any team with a good OL and running back have done.

I will agree the Dallas ran all over the Redskins, don't think that was the case in regard to the  Giants.Dallas ran over a lot of people last year. I would like to have seen the Skins add another big man inside myself. No question there is room for improvement on the defensive line,however I do believe that some of the additions such as Anderson and Cunningham to the lb corp should help bolster the run defense.The secondary also has the potential to help tighten up things with some of the manuvers in that area,such as the addition of Swearinger. Hopefully Tomsula will help also. Granted defensive line play is important and there is plenty of room for improvement but I expect them to be somewhat better this year.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Keep this in mind. This was a 6th round pick. This is not a 1st or 2nd round pick. This is a 6th round pick, a pick that at best is a developmental pick that might plays some special teams in his first year. Not a guy that is a likely starter and is basically the piece the entire defense is based around. Is that really asking too much?

considering that above that you're doing nothing but talking about us needing a starter and a piece to base the D around it seems kind of strange, we have project NTs on the roster

2 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I will agree the Dallas ran all over the Redskins, don't think that was the case in regard to the  Giants.Dallas ran over a lot of people last year. I would like to have seen the Skins add another big man inside myself. No question there is room for improvement on the defensive line,however I do believe that some of the additions such as Anderson and Cunningham to the lb corp should help bolster the run defense.The secondary also has the potential to help tighten up things with some of the manuvers in that area,such as the addition of Swearinger. Hopefully Tomsula will help also. Granted defensive line play is important and there is plenty of room for improvement but I expect them to be somewhat better this year.

Oh, I agree, I think we're helped ourselves defensively. I LOVE the Allen pick (duh) and I really like the Anderson pick. Getting Brown in FA was a huge get too. I like moving Cravens to SS and Swearinger to FS. I hope Mason Foster beats our Compton for MLB.

DL was kinda a mixed bag for me though. I like the McClain pickup, but it's a scheme switch and we'll have to see how that works. I also don't think either Mc is better than Baker. McGee is kinda a JAG for me at this point. I hope he proves me wrong.

Overall, I think we're better and with Brown, faster. I'd still like to see NT addressed, but even if we run with Phil Taylor there, he's still an upgrade. If he's truely healthy and can play at 75% of what he once was, DL will be much better.

I have a lot of faith in Tomsula, I think he's a great DL coach. He will make everyone better.

Oh, and the Giants ran for 120 and 161 yards on us last year. :(

From my point of view just about every DT/NT/DE in the draft was JAG outside of some of the top guys. I was trying to talk myself into liking some of the potential first rounders because they had the upside (not necessarily to play NT, but just to play well), but they all came with such stark negatives that I was hesitant on most of them. But you act like JAGs can't develop into serviceable players? What was Moses before he was a starter? Or Long? Or Baker? Or RJF? Truth is there's a long list of players who spent time on practice squads before becoming something. There's an even longer list of players who were low rounded backups (ala couldn't get any playing time) before making their mark. Heck, there's even a pretty long list of players who've had injury plagued starts to their career before changing their workout regime or trainer or something else and became better. Am I counting on this? not really, but its not an impossible stretch. Point being, neither you nor I nor anyone else here at ES knows whats going on at Redskins park and how well these guys are playing. Last year we added Jenkins late and brought in Taylor for workouts but didn't sign him. I suspect that this position is one we're looking at but don't think the guys you think so highly of (particularly the ones in the 6th round and lower) were that much better than what we have.

Give it time. We were all calling for the Brown signing too and it just took time. We were all saying how bad the DL was and how it was either equal or worse before the draft, now nobody (or very few people) is saying that. So many things have yet to happen like I mentioned above. Plus, we don't know who's going to get hurt in our camps and in other camps that forces teams to make roster moves. You've just got to have patience. 

It'd be different if he hadn't done it before. It'd be different if Taylor hadn't shown he could do it before. It'd be different if there weren't 3-4 systems without dominant NTs that were good defenses and good at stopping the run.

But you can't ignore Allen when talking about our DL. He's not like Orakpo who played DL in college but came here to be a LB (other than his rookie year). Allen will be on our DL and will make the jobs of other players on our DL easier. Last year we didn't have any player that demanded a double team. This year (God willing) that will be Allen. So it becomes a question of (1) can our other players beat one on ones or (2) when Allen is in a 1 on 1 in a running play, can he and the other pieces we've added see the play, and make the right move. 

On a side note (and I apologize cause I haven't done this in a few years, at least since Haslett was here), but that 5.0 number on first down sounds like fools gold. I really wonder what the distribution of those runs were. How many were left, right, middle, sweeps, off tackle, etc. How many were because Kerrigan/Smith/Murphy ran past the RB trying to get a sack? How many were because Compton/Baker/RJF hit the guy in the backfield but didn't wrap him up? I remember doing this during the 2012 season (I think it was that season) and saying that I wasn't mad at Haslett as much as I was mad at the players because players would be in position but miss the tackles way too often. 

On a final note, I'll say that I know you and a few others have been quoting PFF metrics, but those are just numbers to me. Occasionally SIP will quote a Cooley video review and talk about missed assignments, and those are of a little higher value but not much. I know I'm not a scout (although I wanted to be one as a kid), but I trust my own eyes so I don't care how much PFF wants to tell me that Chester / Compton are good players, I know what I saw with my own eyes. Same goes for Cooley and Kory L. And I saw something inspiring from Matt Ioannidis towards the end of last year, and some nice plays from Lanier before he got hurt. 

20 minutes ago, carex said:

considering that above that you're doing nothing but talking about us needing a starter and a piece to base the D around it seems kind of strange, we have project NTs on the roster

Really?

Who started at NT last year?

Where any of those guys on the active roster last year?

You feel good about Practice squads projects, that couldn't even make it to the active roster when we didn't have a NT last year, having to step up and be a starter because we don't have one?

Ok, then....

34 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Really?

Who started at NT last year?

Where any of those guys on the active roster last year?

You feel good about Practice squads projects, that couldn't even make it to the active roster when we didn't have a NT last year, having to step up and be a starter because we don't have one?

Ok, then....

AJ Francis was on the active roster, then cut THEN brought back to the practice squad.  So they  liked him enough to be willing to play him if needed and to not just chuck him in the garbage can.

The Redskins were not willing to manage the roster the way you wanted last year and the fact it didn't meet your satisfaction doesn't mean anything in the long run.  As I said before, Chris Baker cn play NT.  If the coaches were as desperate as you think they were, they could have just flipped Hood and Baker's positions on the line

12 minutes ago, carex said:

AJ Francis was on the active roster, then cut THEN brought back to the practice squad.  So they  liked him enough to be willing to play him if needed and to not just chuck him in the garbage can.

The Redskins were not willing to manage the roster the way you wanted last year and the fact it didn't meet your satisfaction doesn't mean anything in the long run.  As I said before, Chris Baker cn play NT.  If the coaches were as desperate as you think they were, they could have just flipped Hood and Baker's positions on the line

Baker didn't want to play NT, and he didn't. That was a point of contention starting from training camp

As for AJ Francis being on the active roster and then being cut? I would say

590935bb6f433_CitationNeeded.thumb.png.675e504b243a404e66fe31efd0bbeea6.png

And it's not like he actually played. So it's not like they liked him that much. Or, you know, he might have started at NT instead of Ziggy Hood.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Baker didn't want to play NT, and he didn't. That was a point of contention starting from training camp

As for AJ Francis being on the active roster and then being cut? I would say

590935bb6f433_CitationNeeded.thumb.png.675e504b243a404e66fe31efd0bbeea6.png

And it's not like he actually played. So it's not like they liked him that much. Or, you know, he might have started at NT instead of Ziggy Hood.

yes well they could have made him.  If they didn't like him they wouldn't have re-signed him

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/wsh/year/2016

there's your citation all transactions the Skins made last year.  The Skins must not have been looking for a different starter last yer

12 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

NT would really play on 1st and 3rd and shorts.  i think we have assembled enough Interior DLs guys to play a 4-2-5 in most situations

frankly we have no business being in a 3-4 on 3rd and shorts

FWIW, I found a really great article on Joey Mbu. Was viewed as a potential draft steal and projected to be a 6th round pick back in 2015. Also had the longest arms out of any DL at the combine that year. Local kid to boot. Just became my favorite at NT behind Phil Taylor bouncing back from his injuries.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/3/19/8184503/bbs-next-hidden-gem-1-joey-mbu-nt-dt-houston

"Prototypical nose tackle. I like him in a 3-4 or 4-3. Big bubble butt, big trunk. He's a 2-down run stuffer." - Mike Mayock on Joey Mbu

Maybe there is some truth to the coaching staff liking the chances of someone emerging out of the crop that we have at NT, especially with Tomsula coaching them up.

A projected 6th rounder back in 2015 with two years of NFL coaching and weight training might just be better than any of the late round prospects that we were so upset over not drafting this year.

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Oh, I agree, I think we're helped ourselves defensively. I LOVE the Allen pick (duh) and I really like the Anderson pick. Getting Brown in FA was a huge get too. I like moving Cravens to SS and Swearinger to FS. I hope Mason Foster beats our Compton for MLB.

DL was kinda a mixed bag for me though. I like the McClain pickup, but it's a scheme switch and we'll have to see how that works. I also don't think either Mc is better than Baker. McGee is kinda a JAG for me at this point. I hope he proves me wrong.

Overall, I think we're better and with Brown, faster. I'd still like to see NT addressed, but even if we run with Phil Taylor there, he's still an upgrade. If he's truely healthy and can play at 75% of what he once was, DL will be much better.

I have a lot of faith in Tomsula, I think he's a great DL coach. He will make everyone better.

Oh, and the Giants ran for 120 and 161 yards on us last year. :(

I stand corrected on the Giants rushing,just didn't seem like that to me.Should have done my homework.

Archived