Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

31 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm no football genius, but why play with a nose if we don't have a nose?  To me it's like calling the fade to Jackson.  Uh, he's not a receiver you throw a fade to, so why call the play?

Why not run something else with four down linemen since we have a few guys who can play 3 tech and then have four linebackers, one who is similar to (or actually) Cravens?  

If I'm on offense and I see us with a nose, I'm just calling a run or making an audible to one.  Five yards per carry on first down last year, why not?

I wholeheartedly support that idea.  I've been wondering why we were trying to force square pegs into round holes all these years.  You cut them some slack the first couple years to get people in, but now, if they gotta bring in scrap heap guys like Phil Taylor, they're not really committed to this NT business.

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Like who?

Because that approach as worked SO well in the past. :rolleyes:

Well McGee and McClain aren't both going to be starting DEs as previously stated. Allen gets one starting DE berth now. 

Told ya already, McGee with be at the zero tech spot for the limited snaps we need one. We then shift Allen inside on our 4 man fronts and pull another DE in. Wouldn't mind Richardson in that rotation to be honest.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Well McGee and McClain aren't both going to be starting DEs as previously stated. Allen gets one starting DE berth now. 

Told ya already, McGee with be at the zero tech spot for the limited snaps we need one. We then shift Allen inside on our 4 man fronts and pull another DE in. Wouldn't mind Richardson in that rotation to be honest.

That will be fun to watch. If you root for the other team.

Edit: I also think it's funny that every time NT is brought up as a question, the amount of times McGee's name and my name are brought up are exactly the same. Zero.

And it should be noted that we were in talks with each the Jets about Richardson on day 2 of the draft AFTER we had picked Allen. 

Seem clear intention to add another impact player. Maybe we are waiting for the Jets/ Richardson saga to conclude before looking elsewhere, like the NT cut by the Raiders pre draft.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

That will be fun to watch. If you root for the other team.

Its good to see you are getting back to feeling your normal self again.:P

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

And it should be noted that we were in talks with each the Jets about Richardson on day 2 of the draft AFTER we had picked Allen. 

Seem clear intention to add another impact player. Maybe we are waiting for the Jets/ Richardson saga to conclude before looking elsewhere, like the NT cut by the Raiders pre draft.

Right now, we have 6 guys that can rotate DE in a 3-4 and DT and in a 4-3. I don't know why we would add a 8 million dollar, 1 year rental on a malcontent when we just picked up Jonathan Allen. To me, that just screams "counterproductive". And that is the nicest way I can say it.

Besides Lanier is supposed to be so damn good now according to Gruden. :P

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Its good to see you are getting back to feeling your normal self again.:P

Why, thank you! :D

I would like to bring Williams in too. I know it's defense, and Tomsula doesn't deserve anything but scraps to work with, but it would be nice.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

See, this is what pisses me off. "oh look, we have Tomsula, he can cobble together a NT out of a broken lamp, a rod and reel from 1958 and some belly button lint."

I don't see Callahan working with just meager offereings, but then, Callahan is on OFFENSE.

Meanwhile, our staring NT is either going to be a guy that could not actually make it to the active roster last year, or has legs like this guy.

now maybe it's me but I don't think our DL has been a great thing for years, even back when we were in the 4-3 it was only really adequate.  But one of our starting DL in recent years, Chris Baker the guy everyone was so upse to see leave, spent a year on our PS before he made the main roster

59 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Right now, we have 6 guys that can rotate DE in a 3-4 and DT and in a 4-3. I don't know why we would add a 8 million dollar, 1 year rental on a malcontent when we just picked up Jonathan Allen. To me, that just screams "counterproductive". And that is the nicest way I can say it.

Besides Lanier is supposed to be so damn good now according to Gruden. :P

I think the argument would be getting an elite player vs rotating around 5-6 middling players. Aim to be unstoppable. Picking up Allen doesn't necessarily fix the issue of the DL.  We have no really proven players on the DL.  But otherwise, I get most of the reasons against.

23 minutes ago, carex said:

now maybe it's me but I don't think our DL has been a great thing for years, even back when we were in the 4-3 it was only really adequate.  But one of our starting DL in recent years, Chris Baker the guy everyone was so upse to see leave, spent a year on our PS before he made the main roster

Well, our DL as a 4-3 was light years better than it has been as a 3-4, and it was that was for years and years. Decades even. Even so, Chris Baker did not come here as a saviour, and worked his way to where he ended up being, which was our best DLman for a few years. The difference, is that he wasn't needed to that guy day one . He was a depth guy that unseated guys in front of him. Which is great, it's what you hope for when you are developing players.

This situation is different. We literally don't have a qualified "starter" for someone to beat out. Quite literally, the nose tackles that Gruden talks about are 2 guys that could not make it off the practice squad, and Phil Taylor. Like that is something to be excited about. An apples to apples comparison is to say that the leading contenders for the starting X WR this year are Reggie Diggs, Matt Hazel and Malcolm Kelly. 2 guys that could not get off the practice squad and another guy that was a high draft choice, but physically is a disaster.

And I'm supposed to feel "ok" about that?

You also mention that we have not had a good DL for some time. I agree with you. And it's pretty obvious to me why. When you put absolutely zero resources towards something, you should not expect any kind of real improvement out of it.

So, obviously our lack of a NT has coincided with sucking it up vs the run.  And obviously we need a NT if we're going to be playing a 3-4.

Truly bummed that we didn't address the position in the draft (particularly the late rounds when we can afford to weigh in need more heavily).

On the flip side...

I'm still going to maintain that lack of talent and poor tackling made our run defense even worse.  

Putting Compton behind a 1 gap dline (not to mention Riley/Robinson from 2 years ago), and playing Whitner/Goldson/Johnson/Bruton, etc. cannot have helped the situation.  When Golston is getting significant snaps, Hood is at NT and so on... you're going to have issues.  

Thats not to say those issues are totally behind us, but this squad seems to have much better talent overall.  Lastly, regarding nose tackle specifically, it dawned on me that there's a reasonable chance that Francis and Mbu are not any/much worse than a guy we could have drafted in the 5th or 6th round.  

So, we'll see I guess.  I'm hoping the gamble pays off, though the team could have weighted the odds a bit more in their favor.  

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I think the argument would be getting an elite player vs rotating around 5-6 middling players. Aim to be unstoppable. Picking up Allen doesn't necessarily fix the issue of the DL.  We have no really proven players on the DL.  But otherwise, I get most of the reasons against.

We have some decent guys, and rotating them keeps them fresh. That's big in the 4th quarter, when you're NOT getting worn down.

Just now, Morneblade said:

Well, our DL as a 4-3 was light years better than it has been as a 3-4, and it was that was for years and years. Decades even. Even so, Chris Baker did not come here as a saviour, and worked his way to where he ended up being, which was our best DLman for a few years. The difference, is that he wasn't needed to that guy day one . He was a depth guy that unseated guys in front of him. Which is great, it's what you hope for when you are developing players.

This situation is different. We literally don't have a qualified "starter" for someone to beat out. Quite literally, the nose tackles that Gruden talks about are 2 guys that could not make it off the practice squad, and Phil Taylor. Like that is something to be excited about. An apples to apples comparison is to say that the leading contenders for the starting X WR this year are Reggie Diggs, Matt Hazel and Malcolm Kelly. 2 guys that could not get off the practice squad and another guy that was a high draft choice, but physically is a disaster.

And I'm supposed to feel "ok" about that?

we don't need our NT to be our best player we just need him to be good enough.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

We have some decent guys, and rotating them keeps them fresh. That's big in the 4th quarter, when you're NOT getting worn down.

The counter is if they're just better talent wise, they won't get worn down because they will be able to get off the field earlier in the game, not get run on, help the offense, and play with a lead. 

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Lastly, regarding nose tackle specifically, it dawned on me that there's a reasonable chance that Francis and Mbu are not any/much worse than a guy we could have drafted in the 5th or 6th round.  

So, we'll see I guess.  I'm hoping the gamble pays off, though the team could have weighted the odds a bit more in their favor.  

That's being unrealistically optimistic IMO. They couldn't even make the roster on a team that started Ziggy Hood as NT. Which, to say, they did just as well as I could have, with 2 neck surgeries in the last 13 months, lower lumbar surgery 18 years ago, being 48 years old and playing WR when I did play.

And you don't even TRY to improve.

I'm not saying you throw ever draft pick you have at the position. But how many WR's did we go after in FA. How many WR's did we draft? And we still had guys like Crowder and Harris on the roster.

8 minutes ago, carex said:

we don't need our NT to be our best player we just need him to be good enough.

What's good enough? Allowing 5 yards a carry on first down?

We need a "solid" guy there, instead of a human turnstyle. Your approach does nothing to actually improve the situation.

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The counter is if they're just better talent wise, they won't get worn down because they will be able to get off the field earlier in the game, not get run on, help the offense, and play with a lead. 

That's great, but are you still going to skimp on a NT too? If so, the balance of your argument is bull****.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan WillIams wasn't that bad during his off year if PFF was on the mark.  I'd rather go after someone established like him versus a flier.

Age is s factor, but I would be calling him today. I would love to talk about something else rather than our completely lack of NT. I'd like to talk about how Allen and Anderson bring a new physical present to the whole team, or how Perine is going to make every team in he division cry when they have to play us.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Age is s factor, but I would be calling him today. I would love to talk about something else rather than our completely lack of NT. I'd like to talk about how Allen and Richardson bring a new physical present to the whole team, or how Perine is going to make every team in he division cry when they have to play us.

I am upbeat about off season improvements, but I've gotten actually more not less sweaty about adding one more impact lineman or preferably a nose.  The reason being IMO they are one impact lineman-nose from having an above average defense.  

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am upbeat about off season improvements, but I've gotten actually more not less sweaty about adding one more impact lineman or preferably a nose.  The reason being IMO they are one impact lineman-nose from having an above average defense.  

If we had a legit NT, I think we're a top 15 D with the other pieces we have added. What does that mean in terms of wins?  Maybe a division crown and a couple wins in the playoffs. Allen is going to be great McClain will be good. McGee will be a good rotational guy, along with Hood. I'm not counting on Lanier at all, but who knows. But we're solid up front outside of the NT. You get a solid one of those, with Brown and Anderson and Mason Foster and Kerrigan, the front 7 is a issue for any Offense. Secondary is better, and has more depth.

34 minutes ago, REDSKINS JR said:

Can someone put up some Phil Taylor tape...I can't find any

I looked. Nothing like being out of the league for years to make it hard to find tape. :(

33 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Age is s factor, but I would be calling him today. I would love to talk about something else rather than our completely lack of NT. I'd like to talk about how Allen and Richardson bring a new physical present to the whole team, or how Perine is going to make every team in he division cry when they have to play us.

Maybe Anderson's brother Richardson can play NT? How big is Richardson anyway? Anyone know? :)

Just now, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Maybe Anderson's brother Richardson can play NT? How big is Richardson anyway? Anyone know? :)

Sheesh, If I do that again, I'm going to take myself outside behind the woodshed and beat myself.  ;) This is like the 3rd or 4th time I have Done that.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sheesh, If I do that again, I'm going to take myself outside behind the woodshed and beat myself.  ;) This is like the 3rd or 4th time I have Done that.

You mean we didn't draft Richardson too? Damn it! :)

Archived