Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Thursday the biggest Skins-Cowboys "heavyweight" bout since Gibbs I?

hail2skins

So here we are........the 6-3-1 Skins going to the 9-1 Cowboys! When was the last time the Redskins had less than four losses after 10 games??

I was thinking that this game might be the most mammoth Skins-Cowboys late season game since the Gibbs 1 era.  Now, I know in 2012 we had the season-ending game at FedEx with the division on the line, and we were coming in red hot with RG3, and of course AlMo was the star that night with 200 on the ground. But even though it was the first division crown for the Skins since 1999 and it was over the Cowboys, somehow by that time we were used to seeing the Cowboys get into those division-deciding games with just about a .500 record.  And of course after that season, things fell apart for the Skins.

Then you go back to 2005, when we met the Cowboys at FedEx in the 14th game for each team. Gibbs vs Parcells, just like the old days.  We were 7-6, and I think they were 8-5, so an important game for both squads (Giants wound up winning the division at 11-5). We destroyed Dallas that day, as Captain Chaos had a monster first half and the Skins D-line overwhelmed the Cowboys O-line. A huge win in the midst of a five-game streak that got us into the playoffs while Dallas missed out. But again, 2006 happened, as the Skins fell apart, while a young QB named Romo couldn't handle a FG snap in Seattle, and Parcells retired.....with Gibbs to follow after 2007.

Prior to that?  Probably go back all the way to 1992, where a clearly ascendant Cowboy team came into RFK and played an Skins team that was somewhat underperforming (lots due to injuries) after winning the SB the prior year.  But the Skins prevailed on a bizarre play where Jason Buck stripped Troy Aikman in his own end zone and Emmitt Smith tried to get the handle on it, but couldn't, and the Skins recovered. Legendary story of how Jimmy Johnson pounded Heinekens on the flight back to Dallas, furious.Of course Dallas would win three of the next four SBs, while the Skins dynasty would end with a playoff loss at San Fran, and no need to recount the route through the wilderness since.

Of course this game is earlier in the season than the others mentioned, and you never know what fate will hold for either team in the upcoming seasons. And Dallas does have a significant lead in the division right now, and I would still bet on them winning it this season. But the two teams just seem to be on a good trajectory, and something about this contest just screams MONSTER!

What do you think?

I think the RGIII Turkey Game was bigger. We had to win out to make the playoffs. Dallas was pretty much in the same boat. With everything on the line, RGIII looks to have had the best game of his career and sent Cowboys to defeat.

This game is one where both teams are playing well, but the game won't seal the fate of either team (I don't think). Still, really big game.

Just now, Tsailand said:

I think it's be a great game, but what keeps it out of the "monster" status for me is that the cowboys are running away with the division even if they lose, and we'll still have great wild card chances even if we lose.  Also, it's only November.

We'd be a game and half back assuming we win, I wouldn't call that running away.

Yeah, this game will be a good one. I will be a nervous wreck, however at 9-1, the Cowboys can sustain a loss and still run away with the division.  Takes a bit of the luster off the game, but it is still a rivalry game, and can be a statement game for the 'Skins because if they get a Wild Card berth there is a chance these two teams meet in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the RGIII Turkey Game was bigger. We had to win out to make the playoffs. Dallas was pretty much in the same boat. With everything on the line, RGIII looks to have had the best game of his career and sent Cowboys to defeat.

This game is one where both teams are playing well, but the game won't seal the fate of either team (I don't think). Still, really big game.

Burg, I thought about that game too, but going into the Skins were only 4-6 (Cowboys were 5-5) and even though RG3 had dazzled us already in the early part of 2012 (and did in a big way that Thanksgiving), heading into the contest our playoff chances still seemed very pipe-dreamish.

I agree that this game isn't going to break either teams, and the Skins certainly have put themselves in better position with the two big wins at home after the bye. However, I do see it still as very signficant for us, as we're about to embark on a three-game road trip, with the other two games against teams that will most likely still be in the playoff hunt when we play them (of course, who isn't in the hunt in the NFC, besides the Bears, Rams, and 49ers?).

In 1983, we came into the Dallas game as a 3 point dog.  We were 12-2 and so was Dallas who had a half game advantage on us since they'd won the opener.  We had not dominated a quality regular season opponent so people still wondered if 1982 was a bit of a fluke.  I'd say that was the biggest Gibbs 1 game versus Dallas because that was the game that made everyone realize that the Redskins were actually good.

This is the best both teams have collectively bean since Gibbs I. The 2005 game where we destroyed them was similar but the Cowboys are way better now then that year's team and I think we're better too(at least by a little bit, we don't defend like that team but are waaaay more dynamic offensively).

You could argue that the two of the three best teams in the NFC will be playing against each other(I don't think we're as good as Seattle).

9 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

In 1983, we came into the Dallas game as a 3 point dog.  We were 12-2 and so was Dallas who had a half game advantage on us since they'd won the opener.  We had not dominated a quality regular season opponent so people still wondered if 1982 was a bit of a fluke.  I'd say that was the biggest Gibbs 1 game versus Dallas because that was the game that made everyone realize that the Redskins were actually good.

No question the "No Danny No" game was most likely the most mammoth regular season game played between the two squads in the Gibbs 1 era. I don't think it was a case of us not dominating anyone.....remember, the 1983 Redskins set a then-record for most points scored in a season and had a ridiculous turnover differential on the year (I think +43). Only weakness on that team was the pass defense. I think it was more of a "can we beat Dallas" thing......yes, we had gotten them in the NFCCG the prior year, but the Cowboys had beaten us at RFK in the '82 regular season and then again on opening night in '83, when we blew a 23-3 halftime lead.  Plus going to Dallas with the memories of Clint Longley '74 and Staubach '79 were still fresh. And we got off to a big lead, but Dallas was coming back and then we showed our dominance. IIRC, Dave Butz lived in the Cowboy backfield that game.

This is what I would consider the BEST redskins/cowboys matchup of my 30 year old lifetime, even if it's not technically the most important in terms of playoff ramifications.  We are close to having this being played with house money, and they are a team with a rookie QB and RB so feels winnable no matter their record.  But the records are what they are, so yea, this feels like the best overall combination of teams I've ever seen them both have combined.

36 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I think it's be a great game, but what keeps it out of the "monster" status for me is that the cowboys are running away with the division even if they lose, and we'll still have great wild card chances even if we lose.  Also, it's only November.

If anything, that makes it more important because Giants are 7-3 with the other wildcard.  We have to to keep winning conference and division games especially to hold on to our spot.  It terms of how well these two teams are playing at same time, this is bigger matchup them RGIII turkey bowl game.  I think we needed that more, but its been a minute since both teams were this good and playing meaningful football this late in the season. Both teams are better then that 2012 winner take all game.

What is interesting about this rivalry is while Dallas has a commanding lead in the W/L column, it was actually pretty even until the mid-late 90's when both teams were awful, but the Cowboys always seemed to win.

The 'Skins have won most of the high stakes games in this rivalry 

My feeling is that this is a huge ballgame.  Not only because it's The Rival, but also because it has the potential to be our watershed moment.  We beat them down there & we're a Super Bowl Contender.  

Yes, I said it.  And it isn't hyperbole.

I'm not saying we end up in The Big Game this year, but it serves notice to even the fiercest Skins hater that we can compete with anyone.  Hands down, we would be a legitimate Contender from that point going forward.

And for the foreseeable future.

I think this is a fun game, but not necessarily a "big" one. It doesn't mean a ton to Dallas-- by going 9-1 they've given themselves a cushion and plenty of wiggle room. 

For us, by beating the Vikings AND Packers, we've given ourselves some breathing room-- now if your focus is still winning the division, yeah it's huge-- a must win. But if you are like me and have switched focus to the wild card, this game doesn't loom all that large. I wanted 2 wins out of Min/GB/Dallas/Ari and we already got them-- one more win in the next two weeks and we are in great shape for the last quarter of the season. 

Now I do think this game is very fun. It hasn't happened much at all since the early 80s where both teams were legitimately good at the same time. This year they both fit the bill. You can even make the argument that it's the two best offenses in the NFL-- our at least outside of Tom Brady. 

I am thrilled with this win tonight because now we go into Dallas with a ton of confidence and little burden. If we lose, it's hardly a killer. If we win, it's gravy, and cracks the door at least slightly again for the East. 

In the big picture, it's actually not that big a game....Dallas will most likely win the division even if we beat them....and if we lose; we're still in good shape for the wildcard.     The biggest Skins/Boys game since Gibbs was 2012 at Fed Ex.

Having said that, I hate those A-Holes and every game  is a must win against them.

8 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

In the big picture, it's actually not that big a game....Dallas will most likely win the division even if we beat them....and if we lose; we're still in good shape for the wildcard.

I keep seeing this train of thought in regards to the wildcard, but I have to disagree.  I would think we need to get to 10 wins to get the wildcard (9 is certainly in play, but 10 seems solid).  That means we need to win 4 of 6 coming down the stretch.

If we lose on Thursday, we have to win 4 of 5 to finish out with 10 wins.  While doable, I think that's a very steep task.  I know the Panthers and Cardinals are not the same teams they were last year, but they're not the Browns either.  

Am I missing something here?  Am I wrong to think that getting to 10 wins is still an extremely difficult task?  Are we over confident because of our recent, late season runs to make the paloffs?  

In short, I think this game is huge.  Much bigger than most here think, outside of it being a rivalry game.  I see it as another opportunity to push this team forward.  Another opportunity for KC to cement himself as our franchise QB.  Another opportunity for Jay to cement himself as our long term HC.  

We haven't made the paloffs in back to back seasons in 25 years.  A win Thursday would put us in the driver's seat for a taste of sustained success, no matter how moderate that success might be.  

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

This! The RGIII game kept it rolling for this team. I don't think it's life or death this Thursday but this team knows it left a W on the field early in the season. Time to try and take it back and end Dak and start the Romo rumors.

All NFC games are important now. It was a good win but other teams won as well. (Min, TB, NYG). That tie still looms a bit. Lets finish strong and if were the 6 seed and Detroit is the 3 I love a rematch. 

18 minutes ago, Alexa said:

our D is going to struggle. we need to draft some athletes on the front 7. just don't see them standing up to the Cowboys o-line. we're going to have to score a lot of points.

The defense is what it is. Only thing you can hope for is that a couple guys in the secondary make less mistakes. Guys can play better if they tune out the BS.

Archived