Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I feel like Sessions skated through.  That wasn't nearly the intense grilling that was warranted.

And I didn't care for the GOP senators using the AG confirmation hearing as an opportunity to take shots at the Obama administration.  That's not what you're there for.

I agree the GOP was wrong but let's not act like they were the only ones.  I watched a good bit of the hearings and the left was doing the same thing with Trump.  Both sides need to grow up.  It's sad really.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I agree the GOP was wrong but let's not act like they were the only ones.  I watched a good bit of the hearings and the left was doing the same thing with Trump.  Both sides need to grow up.  It's sad really.

Yeah, Leahy's question about genital grabbing was a not so subtle attack.  

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

These things are all about grandstanding. And woth the incoming administration due to start screwing things up in about 10 days, they there won't be much real opposition unless something truly damning comes to light. The opposition will simply use their time to give the nominee a tongue lashing and coice their objection to Trump. Anyone hoping for fireworks here is fooling themselves.

Letter from Coretta Scott King in 1986 that was against Jeff Sessions being appointed a US Federal Judge

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988-Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.html#document/p1

Mr. Sessions has used-the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens in the district he now seeks to serve as a federal judge.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The Tillerson hearing is a train wreck. Rubio completely undressed him and now the other Senators are just piling on. Would be remarkable if his nomination holds.

A more independent Rubio would be a good thing for the country. Maybe he realized he was better as a person and not an empty suit when he was working to get things done instead of bending over backwards for the right in order to try and win the GOP nomination. 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

A more independent Rubio would be a good thing for the country. Maybe he realized he was better as a person and not an empty suit when he was working to get things done instead of bending over backwards for the right in order to try and win the GOP nomination. 

I have some serious doubts. Rubio had the opportunity to not chicken out after Trump treated him like a little kid. Instead he caved in. I think he is an empty suit and nothing more. 

He's going to act tough in the confirmation hearing and then vote in favor of Tillerson.

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I have some serious doubts. Rubio had the opportunity to not chicken out after Trump treated him like a little kid. Instead he caved in. I think he is an empty suit and nothing more. 

He's going to act tough in the confirmation hearing and then vote in favor of Tillerson.

I tend to agree that he is an empty suit. I will laugh at him if he caves again and votes for Tillerson. 

Rubio grilled Tillerson again, this time on Philipines (Duterte) and Saudi Arabia about human rights violations. Tillerson said he couldn't definitively say that Duterte and Saudi Arabia commit human rights violations.

Duterte is on record saying that he would drive around looking to kill suspected drug dealers, and killed many himself. He got hammered on this point.

Tillerson has looked like a doofus in these hearings. He also supposedly has never discussed Russian sanctions with Trump, and he got a lot of crap for this too.

There's so much going on today that Tillerson's god awful hearing will likely go unnoticed. But he should be a good barometer on how much the Senate is willing to stand up to Trump because by no means does he sound qualified for SoS.

38 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Rubio grilled Tillerson again, this time on Philipines (Duterte) and Saudi Arabia about human rights violations. Tillerson said he couldn't definitively say that Duterte and Saudi Arabia commit human rights violations.

Duterte is on record saying that he would drive around looking to kill suspected drug dealers, and killed many himself. He got hammered on this point.

Tillerson has looked like a doofus in these hearings. He also supposedly has never discussed Russian sanctions with Trump, and he got a lot of crap for this too.

There's so much going on today that Tillerson's god awful hearing will likely go unnoticed. But he should be a good barometer on how much the Senate is willing to stand up to Trump because by no means does he sound qualified for SoS.

I'm much more interested in this story today. I think you are right that it will be buried when it should be the lead story today along with testifying against Sessions.

26 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Disagree with you, Tillerson sounds very sharp and quick on his feet compared to most politicians.

....well, up until about 10 seconds ago. 

Finally asked a real question about Exxon doing business with Iran in 2006 and not properly disclosing it and his response: "I don't recall. You'd have to ask Exxon Mobile."

Rubio's about to grill him again. 

30 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Disagree with you, Tillerson sounds very sharp and quick on his feet compared to most politicians.

....well, up until about 10 seconds ago. 

Finally asked a real question about Exxon doing business with Iran in 2006 and not properly disclosing it and his response: "I don't recall. You'd have to ask Exxon Mobile."

Rubio's about to grill him again. 

He had some funny Exxon bits. He first pretended that he was not aware of Exxon's lobbying efforts in relation to sanctions against Russia for annexing Crimea.

I'm assuming at some point he acknowledged that they were indeed lobbying, but then he couldn't tell if Exxons lobbying efforts on the Russian sanctions (Ukraine) were done so in favor of or against the sanctions.

This was after saying that he thinks sanctions are bad for US businesses.

I wonder if he thought he would be lobbed a bunch of soft balls and came totally unprepared. He sounds like an empty suit without any concrete foreign policy doctrine.

KAINE: We talked about this in my office. There's been great deal of coverage and ExxonMobil history with the issue of climate change, a recent two-part article prepared by members of the Rockefeller family foundation and investigated by an independent team by the school of journalism. There was a three-part series in The Los Angeles Times and Inside Climate News produced a nine-part series that was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. One ExxonMobil concluded as early as the 1970s that pollution from CO2 from burning fossil fuels was—in destructive ways and took public positions against the scientific position regarding science climate, three, funded outside groups that publicly obscured, and continues to provide funding at a lower level to outside groups that deny, downplay this scientific consensus, are these of promoting and funding climate status denial despite awareness if it's true or false?

TILLERSON: Senator, since I'm no longer with ExxonMobil I'm in no position to speak on their behalf.

KAINE: I'm not asking you to speak on ExxonMobil's behalf. You were with the company for 42 years…I'm not asking you on behalf of ExxonMobil. You have resigned from ExxonMobil. I'm asking you whether those allegations about ExxonMobil and decision to fund and promote of you contrary to its awareness of its science whether the allegations are true or false.

TILLERSON: That question would have to be put to ExxonMobil.

KAINE: Do you lack the knowledge to answer my question, or are you refusing to answer my question?

TILLERSON: A little of both.

The Trump administration, everyone. Amazing that some people still think this whole ****show is no big deal. 

If Rubio ultimately votes for Tillerson without anything else changing, he politically is probably done.  I mean, if he caves, someone is gonna call him out in a primary, whether for Pres or in Florida, about how he slammed Tillerson, then sold everyone out by voting for him.

Archived