Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The GOP opposed all of Obama's appointees?  Huh.  Who knew.

He didn't say that and I'm not sure how you got that from his one sentence statement about the GOP.

Here it was.

6 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

GOP: our only goal is to make Obama a one-term President.

Where does it claim that the GOP opposed all of Obama's appointees?

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

He didn't say that and I'm not sure how you got that from his one sentence statement about the GOP.

Here it was.

Where does it claim that the GOP opposed all of Obama's appointees?

He referenced the Dem opposition to soe Trump appointees as the counter argument to the first claim.  He painted the GOP as complete obstructionists.  And then used an example to show why theDems are not.  Im pointing out that the SAME EXAMPLE onthe GOP side shows that they were NOT complete obstructionists.

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

He referenced the Dem opposition to soe Trump appointees as the counter argument to the first claim.  He painted the GOP as complete obstructionists.  And then used an example to show why theDems are not.  Im pointing out that the SAME EXAMPLE onthe GOP side shows that they were NOT complete obstructionists.

You're right. It was only 97.4% of the time. That makes it MUCH better. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

You're right. It was only 97.4% of the time. That makes it MUCH better. 

I'd actually really like to see a historical analysis on the GOP "obstructionism" compared to the last century.  Not that I dont think they were the strongest opposition party ever, just like to see how they compared.

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'd actually really like to see a historical analysis on the GOP "obstructionism" compared to the last century.  Not that I dont think they were the strongest opposition party ever, just like to see how they compared.

Are you talking about the Cabinet appointments, the work of Mitch McConell (He of the "single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president") or maybe the unprecedented non vote on a SCOTUS nominee?

GOP didn't fare too badly on confimations of major cabinet appointees (usually would either see a split GOP vote or near unanimous affirmation).

Of course, this absolutely ignores the quality of candidates being proposed too. Something that needs to be remembered when looking at Trumps travesty of nominations. 

34 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I think your point is fair. However -- I don't think an opposition party should reflexively oppose everything, the way McConnell suggested the GOP would operate under Obama.

Quick search shows that only nine cabinet nominations have ever been rejected, which suggests that Dem opposition to Trump's nominations is obstructionist. To me though it looks like they're showing some level of thought -- Mattis and Chao OK, Tillerson and Sessions no. 

In general the comments from prominent Democrats such as Sanders suggest that they're willing to work with Trump on goals like infrastructure. Not that they really have a choice anyway, but I think it's a plain contrast between that and McConnell's rhetoric. 

18 minutes ago, twa said:

Did you expect them to just ignore the Dems RULE on no lame duck SCOTUS appointments? :kickcan:

Next you will be expecting them not to use the nuclear option.

You are a card carrying member of the false equivalency club so we expect nothing less.  

6 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I think your point is fair. However -- I don't think an opposition party should reflexively oppose everything, the way McConnell suggested the GOP would operate under Obama.

Quick search shows that only nine cabinet nominations have ever been rejected, which suggests that Dem opposition to Trump's nominations is obstructionist. To me though it looks like they're showing some level of thought -- Mattis and Chao OK, Tillerson and Sessions no. 

In general the comments from prominent Democrats such as Sanders suggest that they're willing to work with Trump on goals like infrastructure. Not that they really have a choice anyway, but I think it's a plain contrast between that and McConnell's rhetoric. 

I suspect lost in that count are ones that are prevented from being voted on. Presidents have withdrawn nominations when its clear they are going to be shot down. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

Balderdash 

I haven't seen any evidence that anybody knows the contents of the calls, except for Flynn's own descriptions of the calls in the WashPo article that is in the tweet.

Previously, I've only seen that the calls were made, but even then I hadn't seen it contributed to the IC.  Was it actually discovered and then leaked by the IC or did other people in the US government know?  Maybe Flynn told people?  Maybe the Russian ambassador told people?  Were the calls secret or were they common knowledge in government circles?  Certainly, the way Flynn described them they don't seem like something that would have needed to kept secret.

Or are we just throwing unsubstantiated garbage against the wall and seeing what sticks?

Are we trying to now use fake news to undermine the IC?

(Realistically, I don't have any issues with the in coming administration having contact with Russia even over things like the expulsion of the diplomats and possible responses.  While they are technically, I guess, still just citizens, they are so close to being in power that to think that they should not be involved in things like this makes no sense to me.  Even assuming that Flynn did communicate Trump's view on the expulsions to the Russian ambassador and then talked to him about possible Russian responses and how Trump would view them, I would not support him being prosecuted.)

So it looks like the music lineup has been officially set for the inauguration.

Lee Greenwood is the headliner with Toby Keith, Cowboy Troy, Big & Rich, Jackie Evancho, Jennifer Holiday, and "southern rock band" 3 Doors Down. Who knew 3 Doors Down played southern rock?

Also..they couldn't dig up Vern Gosdin or Conway Twitty?

https://www.yahoo.com/music/god-bless-the-u-s-a-singer-lee-greenwood-set-to-play-trump-inauguration-174359912.html

'God Bless the U.S.A' Singer Lee Greenwood Set to Play Trump Inauguration Concert

3 Doors Down: great band, or greatest band? Ahh, the memories of being lucky enough to see them at Celebrate Fairfax. There were hundreds of us.

Sure, maybe it was boring while the crowd quietly waited for them to get through their non-Kryptonite songs. They even pulled the old "you have to demand an encore to get us to play Kryptonite" trick. But we persevered and got that Y2K nostalgia. If only Staind had been there too....

John Lewis: ‘I Don’t See Trump as a Legitimate President’

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/john-lewis-trump-won-t-be-legitimate-president-n706676

All due respect for the history that Rep Lewis has been part of. But saying this is just as bad as McConnell's comments about Obama. Beyond a poor choice of words. He means it and as much as I don't want Trump as President. He is. Even with whatever Russia did with hacking. It's legit unless actually machines were hacked. So....anything he says now will be met with this quote back in his face.

Along those lines...Trumps 'murica I guess.

Arizona legislator: no more teaching about 'social justice'

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2017/01/13/roberts-arizona-legislator-no-more-teaching-social-justice/96512134/

Rep. Bob Thorpe has proposed legislation that would bar Arizona’s publicly funded schools, community colleges and universities from teaching about or discussing anything that promotes "social justice toward a race, gender, religion, political affiliation, social class or other class of people.” Thorpe, R-Flagstaff, didn’t return a call to explain his concern, nor did House Bill 2120's sole co-sponsor, Rep. Mark Finchem, R-Oro Valley.

In an interview with the Daily Caller, a conservative news website, Thorpe said taxpayers shouldn’t have to subsidize courses that, in his view, promote discrimination or racial isolation.

“It seems like racially insensitive agendas are occurring in higher education,” he told the website. “The trend is very troubling.”

He pointed to an Arizona State University course last year that sent Fox News commentators and white nationalists over the edge: U.S. Race Theory and the Problem of Whiteness. According to ASU, the upper-division course "uses literature and rhetoric to look at how stories shape people's understandings and experiences of race."

16 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

John Lewis: ‘I Don’t See Trump as a Legitimate President’

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/john-lewis-trump-won-t-be-legitimate-president-n706676

All due respect for the history that Rep Lewis has been part of. But saying this is just as bad as McConnell's comments about Obama. Beyond a poor choice of words. He means it and as much as I don't want Trump as President. He is. Even with whatever Russia did with hacking. It's legit unless actually machines were hacked. So....anything he says now will be met with this quote back in his face.

Awesome job Rep Lewis.  You just became the very person you claimed Trump and others were when they claimed Obama wasn't legitimate.  

At least he isn't hiding his hypocrisy. 

Does this make him racist?

22 hours ago, twa said:

The GOP has allowed more moderates than the Dems....probably not by design though :kiss-smileys: 

ROTFLMAO

You know it was you guys who purged the Moderates from your ranks 6 years ago right?! It was you guys who created the term RINO. It was you guys who forced the GOP chairman to bow down and kiss Limbaugh's ring. It was you guys who vaulted Paul Ryan (an Ayn Rand Objectivist) into Boehner's seat. It's you guys who have made Lindsey Graham a moderate voice. It was you guys who gave us Bevin and Brownback. You guys have made the GOP the party of corpratists, fundamentalists, and gunophiles. And you have the balls to say that the GOP lets in more Moderates, all while the Moderate GOP heads are still rotting on the spikes on the castle walls?! You ripped down Reagan's tent and have replaced it with narrow beam that must be walked.

Laughable.....truly laughable especially for someone who doesn't know if he's in the GOP or not. 

[sorry for the heads rotting thing, I just finished season 6 of Game of Thrones)

22 hours ago, twa said:

certainly more relevant than the climate line....but then hot,wet,cold,dry impacts his job as well.

Not when the Pentagon sees climate change as a national security threat. Seems to be part of the job description then...oh but I know you uncontrollably vomit every time you are forced to deal with the reality of climate change and how your party (or not depending on the day I suppose) has done nothing but obstruct work to stem climate change.

Archived