Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Me and the almost-misses-if-she-acts-right are right here right now. I know exactly how much I can afford. In fact, im paying so much right now in RENT that if nothing else was involved I could be living in a 700k house easy. But the down payment to get the monthlies down to a manageable range would be well north of 40k. And its impossible to save 40k in the next few years paying 30k a year in rent alone. 

We did all the math. Im moving back in with my parents for a year and that will do it. But not everyone can do that. Im lucky. 

Yep.  I think that is very typical.  

When I got out of law school, we wanted to buy a house immediately to get out of the ****ty grad school apartment.  I was making for-real lawyer money and still had to live like a broke ass college student for an entire year (same apartment, same cars, etc) to save up enough to buy a $650k townhouse. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Me and the almost-misses-if-she-acts-right are right here right now. I know exactly how much I can afford. In fact, im paying so much right now in RENT that if nothing else was involved I could be living in a 700k house easy. But the down payment to get the monthlies down to a manageable range would be well north of 40k. And its impossible to save 40k in the next few years paying 30k a year in rent alone.

OTOH, if you don't require that 10% down payment, then every house with a 2% down payment is simply a 2% market hiccup away from being under water.  

45 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

If only there was a school of economics that said that you cut taxes and boost spending when the economy is bad, and you pay off the debt (or at least cut back on the borrowing) when the economy is good.  A school of economics which at least seems to have almost 100 years of history showing that it works pretty well.  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

OTOH, if you don't require that 10% down payment, then every house with a 2% down payment is simply a 2% market hiccup away from being under water.  

Otoh otoh it will see a lot of people walk away (default deliberately) from their loans when the housing market crashes again. If there isn't a punishment (like giving up the 20+% you already paid into it) then what keeps people in houses that go underwater. Affordability isn't always the issue when people walk away.

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

That is not a bad risk if the property is not overvalued, which was the main problem with the last crash.

Though it could lead to inflated values.

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The next recession will come next year before the election. That's my prediction.

You don't want the recession to start to soon.   It should start 2nd quarter of 2020 and last at least until the end of 2020. You want the worst of it to be occurring right when the election is about to happen.  If it happens earlier, it could be over by the time the election comes up. 

Recession- the instant your fired maker.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You don't want the recession to start to soon.   It should start 2nd quarter of 2020 and last at least until the end of 2020. You want the worst of it to be occurring right when the election is about to happen.  If it happens earlier, it could be over by the time the election comes up. 

Recession- the instant your fired maker.

Interestingly, the early 90s recession that contributed some to GHWB's defeat in 1992 lasted from summer 1990 to spring 1991.  I remember in spring 1991 after the Gulf War ended, I (then naïve in my early 20s) told my dad that Bush, whose approval rating was near 90 percent, would certainly be reelected. He told me to not be so sure, because of the economy. 

Like you, I still think Trump will be reelected, because, unlike 1992, there is no Bill Clinton in the Dem field, and I think the economy limps along positively enough prior to the next election. But the extent to which Trump is fairly despised means that a recession anytime before fall 2020 would royally screw him. 

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Like any investment you're only under water if you try to sell short.

That said home buying isn't the problem right now, we have buyers, what we don't have is affordable housing. In our area we have a massive hole in the range of $125-180k, basically 3/2 1700sqft houses on .25 acres. The biggest reason there's no inventory, building costs have increased so that it takes $150k to build a 1200sqft house, meaning that most entry level and secondary level buyers are left buying existing housing which haven't been built since 2007. 

So lower housing interest rates all you want, but it's only going to exacerbate the problem.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Yikes

Im not sure what he can say. If he says the protestors should keep protesting till they get what they want, people will die.  And, what happens if there is another teinamen square or worse? What are you going to do, place more sanctions on a China that pushes them further toward russia (which is basically where they are at now)?  

China has has some legitimacy in preserving law and order in Hong Kong. The protestors have some legitimacy in demanding more democratic rules and representation.  It’s a tough situation, to me, is very accurate.

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Im not sure what he can say. If he says the protestors should keep protesting till they get what they want, people will die.  And, what happens if there is another teinamen square or worse? What are you going to do, place more sanctions on a China that pushes them further toward russia (which is basically where they are at now)?  

China has has some legitimacy in preserving law and order in Hong Kong. The protestors have some legitimacy in demanding more democratic rules and representation.  It’s a tough situation, to me, is very accurate.

How about starting with leadership? Are you seriously suggesting that his hem-haw routine is the best we could expect from the leader of Western Civilization? Oh wait, he surrendered that position three years ago.

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

How about starting with leadership? Are you seriously suggesting that his hem-haw routine is the best we could expect from the leader of Western Civilization? Oh wait, he surrendered that position three years ago.

other than a generic maxim, what would you do?. presidents have typically urged “both sides to use restraint”...

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Trump isn't going to do anything.  When China gets tired of the protest, the tanks will roll in.  The protesters will be eliminated.   

How long do you think the United States would allow JFK airport to be shutdown by protestors?

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

other than a generic maxim, what would you do?. presidents have typically urged “both sides to use restraint”...

How long do you think the United States would allow JFK airport to be shutdown by protestors?

How about condemnation of the documented violence, resolution to respect Hong Kong's autonomous rule, and general not being a marble mouthed ****.

How long do I thing the US would allow JFK to be shutdown by protesters? Over an issue like this, it wouldn't have taken this long to get the government to listen. It's not like the protesters started at the airport. This isn't a ragtag handful of people, and this didn't just start.

18 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The downside to helping people "get into homes" is what happens once they are in there.  I know when we were initially looking to buy I had no idea how we got approved for such a large loan considering our salaries.  We could have gone and pulled the trigger on a nice fancy new home and ended up penny pinching every other aspect of our lives, but we settled on something we could afford "comfortably" so we could still live our lives relatively the same. 

I always tell my peers who are flirting with buying a home that "getting in" is not the hard part.  It is making sure once you are in, you can sustain the expenses and everything else that comes with ownership.

I do see both sides of the issue though because there are plenty of people that could afford the monthly costs, but they don't have the money up front to get in.

The way my wife and I did it was we made a budget accounting for only one of our paychecks.  The other paycheck was just extra money for saving or emergency.

14 hours ago, Hooper said:

Save your money, folks. Good times are very close to over, I fear.

I'm closing on my house in a week.  Just need the economy to hold out a little longer.

Archived