Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How bout props to the Trent Williams-less O-line today!!

Playaction2Sanders

7 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I came here to ask the question: Should Nsekhe be starting? Perhaps at right tackle? 

Perhaps this is crazy talk.

I thought the same thing, but right now he is more valuable I think as a backup swing tackle.  The fact that he has much less ware and tear on his body is a huge plus.

11 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

RFA after this year correct?? Might get his shot to start somewhere else especially with a man like Scot McCloughan talking him up.

The second we get some OL depth, you want to tag and trade it? Even with our franchise LT having drug and nagging injury red flags, and our RT also having some injury issues? Crazy. If we want to actually win games consistently, he's worth more to us as a backup than he is as a trade piece.

I almost would like to flirt with the idea of starting Nsekhe at LT and moving Trent to guard or a game or two, maybe at first against a "lesser" caliber D-line to experiment with the idea?

Trent's athleticism tends to make me think he would make a really good guard on run plays.  At the snap of the ball he could run right around the corner and bulldoze looming  linebackers like they are gnats.  

However before anything like that,  what caliber pass rush was Nsekhe facing today? 

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The second we get some OL depth, you want to tag and trade it? Even with our franchise LT having drug and nagging injury red flags, and our RT also having some injury issues? Crazy. If we want to actually win games consistently, he's worth more to us as a backup than he is as a trade piece.

I think the point is, if the two tackles have all those issues that may impact their availability, then maybe they should get one that doesn't.

5 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If he holds up like he did today, it would be the smart thing to explore that.

That's what the Patriots would do.  

If you're paying elite LT money to a guy, but at this stage of his career, there's another guy who can play almost as well as him for a fraction of the price, certainly something to think about.  The cap space or the trade value is intriguing.

30 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Do you think Ty could play guard?

Too tall. 

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That's what the Patriots would do.  

If you're paying elite LT money to a guy, but at this stage of his career, there's another guy who can play almost as well as him for a fraction of the price, certainly something to think about.  The cap space or the trade value is intriguing.

As much as I loved his play yesterday, I believe it's quite early to crown him LT already.Let at least wait until he plays the 4 games at LT to see if it's really worth it.

We're crowning him today, but if he ****s the bed against the helpless Green Bay D, we'll jettison him as quick as he went up.

Guy still have 3 games to play, see how he goes, then make a decision at this point. Also, don't forget that he's what? 30? 31?

Yes, let's move or trade our All-Pro LT. The one that Joe freaking Thomas said was the best tackle in the league. 

Little know fact, Nsekhe is 3-4 years older than Trent. 

I was never that concerned with nsekhe playing. He's shown himself to be a damn good player in spot duty. We played to his strengths running the ball as much as we did and then play action away from his side. He played very well. 

The scary one is Moses. Moses has been outstanding at RT. Painter performed admirably for the few plays he was forced into action but I don't think he is of the same caliber. We need Moses to stay healthy at least until Trent is back. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Too tall. 

As much as I loved his play yesterday, I believe it's quite early to crown him LT already.Let at least wait until he plays the 4 games at LT to see if it's really worth it.

We're crowning him today, but if he ****s the bed against the helpless Green Bay D, we'll jettison him as quick as he went up.

Guy still have 3 games to play, see how he goes, then make a decision at this point. Also, don't forget that he's what? 30? 31?

I dont disagree, it's all a huge "if".  Nobody's trying to trade either guy today.  It's less crowning him than thinking of the possibilities.  Like, if the rest of the season plays out like this.  Obviously if he turns into a turnstile, it's off the table.

11 minutes ago, moondog said:

Yes, let's move or trade our All-Pro LT. The one that Joe freaking Thomas said was the best tackle in the league. 

Joe Thomas can say that all he wants, but it's not true.

Having Trent there gives the offense more flexibility - Trent is one of the best OLT in the game  - I think with TY - he is an awesome safety blanket - If he is an RFA next season even more awesome because we do not have to pay him a chunk of money but he is a journeyman - He actually gets onto the field quite a lot as we do the three tackle stuff .

I think the OP was right to give props to the OL - but I knew this discussion would quickly degenerate into how can we get rid of Trent Williams .

In 2011 I think there was a guy - really cannot remember his name - but was an UDFA and stepped in and was not terrible - and we had that discussion then - When ever Chris Samuels went down there was this discussion about his replacement . Chris Samuels was easily amongst the top 3 OLT of his generation which included Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace .

I am not going to take anything away from Ty BUT I would be far happier with Williams out there 9 sundays out of 10. Trent is that good.

The issue is  great OLT is a building block - A guy that you can put out there and regardless of the scheme or the game plan he will do everything you ask of him - The problem is there are not a lot of guys like that and an awesome OLT on his own is not going to win you games - But without one the rest of the offense just doesn't work. But put in a good OLT in and scheme around him, give him extra help every now and then change some assignments, alter the balance of the game a little and people wont notice, so you always get these questions . "Why are we paying superstar weed head over there millions of $$ when Joe Schmoe over there can do the same job just as well" and the reason is they are not doing the same job, they don't offer the same things - it just looks like they are ..  

Archived