Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Positive Thread

Bigmuss1

15 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Lynch said Compton should have turned his head around... what? Lynch making up the rules as they go along, lol.

Edit: Not Lynch, I meant Johnston

I think Johnston simply meant that had Compton looked back for the ball, he wouldn't have been flagged for a penalty.

According to the rules, the defender has as much right to the ball as the receiver. If he was playing the ball, the contact would've simply be seen as two players going for the ball. Since Compton was paying no attention to the ball, his contact was seen as interfering with the receiver trying to catch the pass.

Compton needs to keep his head on a swivel next time. :) 

37 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think Johnston simply meant that had Compton looked back for the ball, he wouldn't have been flagged for a penalty.

According to the rules, the defender has as much right to the ball as the receiver. If he was playing the ball, the contact would've simply be seen as two players going for the ball. Since Compton was paying no attention to the ball, his contact was seen as interfering with the receiver trying to catch the pass.

Compton needs to keep his head on a swivel next time. :) 

All true but Compton didn't really initiate contact until the ball got there.  I mean he was in his face but he is not touching him until he reaches in there when the ball arrives.  To me that is a HUGE penalty to give against the D when it was a picture perfect defense.  one of the worse PIs I have ever seen for any team.

15 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

All true but Compton didn't really initiate contact until the ball got there.  I mean he was in his face but he is not touching him until he reaches in there when the ball arrives.  To me that is a HUGE penalty to give against the D when it was a picture perfect defense.  one of the worse PIs I have ever seen for any team.

Well that just comes down to a judgment situation. The officials apparently felt that Compton was touching/grabbing on the receiver before the ball got there, Hence, the penalty.

I haven't seen it since the game Sunday, so I really don't know. Fortunately, it didn't affect the positive outcome of the game. :) 

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Since Compton was paying no attention to the ball, his contact was seen as interfering with the receiver trying to catch the pass.

Might have had some contact before the ball got there, but it seems to me a player can knock the ball away without having to turn his head or try catching it.

Screenshot_13.png

9 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Might have had some contact before the ball got there, but it seems to me a player can knock the ball away without having to turn his head or try catching it.

<edited pic>

No, if you bump the receiver in any way, the only way you will get away with it, is if you are looking at the ball and are making a play for it.

As I said, I was just explaining why Johnston said that Compton should've been looking back at the ball. That doesn't mean it definitely was DPI. I don't know if he was pulling on the receiver or not.

So, popped on today and Cravens has career ending eye injury, Reed is retiring, Kirk still isn't impressive and Doctson is the contemporary reincarnate of the Greek Achilles...

Opps, wrong thread, thought this was the negative thread

3 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

So, popped on today and Cravens has career ending eye injury, Reed is retiring, Kirk still isn't impressive and Doctson is the contemporary reincarnate of the Greek Achilles...

You forgot that Gruden can't manage the clock and we are stuck sharing the division with two rookie QBs who are being fitted for gold jackets.

Was thinking about this thread last night.  A positive is that our kicker misses and extra point and a field goal in the same game, but we win the game and us fans don't panic or call for the kicker to be cut.  Love our special teams this year.

As for the missed extra point.  The snap was slightly low, causing a split second extra to pass before the ball was teed up.  Normally not an issue.  However, if you watch the play again, it seems that the kicker also then delays a split second and possibly kicks a little softer than normal because of the delay.  If this is the case, the soft kick was pushed more by the swirling wind.  With a perfect snap/hold, I think the kicker drives the ball more and the EP is good.  Take a look and see if you notice the kicker slowing down at the beginning.

On 10/11/2016 at 2:55 PM, BleedBNG said:

Screenshot_13.png

Exactly BleedBNG...seems the rules change weekly now but the way I understand it a player can definitely knock a ball away without having to turn his head as long as there isn't any contact..I missed this play live...from this picture, to me, it's impossible to tell 100%...as I'm sure you know, getting an accurate frame of reference when using a 2 dimensional image to represent an object(s) in 3 dimensional space can sometimes be problematic , especially in live sports and video camera screenshots..,lenses, distances, angles, etc. etc....I'd like to know your opinion...Was there contact?

21 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

oh, it's quite alright, a common mistake. The negative thread is down the hall to the right. : )

33 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I saw the play noted above live, and in slow mo. It was perfect coverage. Compton didn't interfere. He didn't look back, but stuck  his arm in at the last second and deflected the pass. Even the announcers noted it was great coverage.

That's something you teach to the younger kids playing D.

If you don't see the ball, put your hands between the receivers' hands and he'll never catch it.

Except in the NFL where it's PI.

On 10/11/2016 at 2:55 PM, BleedBNG said:

I wonder if Compton would have been flagged if he was a defensive back, instead of being a MLB.

On 10/12/2016 at 11:21 AM, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The biggest positive might be that they are 3-2 and haven't really played that well.

This is a very good point. One week, it's the offense carrying the team, last week it was the defense. The one constant throughout the first 5 weeks has been...the special teams. It seems to me that if this team can just put it all together consistently, they can become a scary force. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, BleedBNG said:

Edit Pic

I believe while they called it PI it was really face guarding. It seems they are just calling it all PI. You can knock the ball out of their hands without turning but you can't put your hand and arm up in front of their face without turning for the ball. 

It was close but probably the right call. He will learn from it. Still a good effort to just in that good a position. He had a really great game.

1 hour ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I wonder if Compton would have been flagged if he was a defensive back, instead of being a MLB.

Wyndorf25,

You might want to edit that pic out of your post (no quoting pics or videos). :) 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, ILikeBilly said:

Was thinking about this thread last night.  A positive is that our kicker misses and extra point and a field goal in the same game, but we win the game and us fans don't panic or call for the kicker to be cut.  Love our special teams this year.

As for the missed extra point.  The snap was slightly low, causing a split second extra to pass before the ball was teed up.  Normally not an issue.  However, if you watch the play again, it seems that the kicker also then delays a split second and possibly kicks a little softer than normal because of the delay.  If this is the case, the soft kick was pushed more by the swirling wind.  With a perfect snap/hold, I think the kicker drives the ball more and the EP is good.  Take a look and see if you notice the kicker slowing down at the beginning.

Well, with the wind the way it was in that game, no one was going to hold the kicker responsible for missed kicks.

Especially, a 56-yard one that is difficult even without the wind. :) 

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Certainly Baltimore gives our D no credit, canning their OC after our game.  Maybe the firing was overdue, but still. 

You don't fire your OC after a great defensive plays well.

But when a terrible defense looks great? Yeah, that's when you fire someone.

We'll see.

Archived