Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Positive Thread

Bigmuss1

I have to agree with SIP.

My take on where we stand in terms of being a contender......we MUST solve the problem of 3rd Down and 1 yard to go for a 1st. Until this team can consistently convert this situation for a 1st down RUNNING THE DAMN FOOTBALL we will continue to flounder as an 8-8 type team. IMO this has been Gruden's single biggest situational football downfall (that and clock management at the end of 2nd & 4th quarters). 

After taking a few days to think things over I have a few things to say:

1.  This team is talented, there is no doubt we have players both young and veteran at different positions that can play.  This is different from some of the past regimes.  

2.  Every team deals with injuries:  Lets look at how the Giants have done since OBJ's injury.  Some teams give up and some teams keep playing.  I will say that we played some of the best teams in the league in the last 3 weeks and we beat one of the and almost had the Saints.  Lets recap: We were missing our starting Stafey, 2 ILBs 2-3 Dlineman, 2 OL, TE, a WR and our starting RB and we lost our best offensive playmaker Thompson.  All that being said; we played competitive and other players elevated their games like Doctson and Perrine, even Grant.  I like the fight we are showing, we can continue to build off this.

3. This is WAYYYYYY better then we are used to.  Love it or hate it guys this team is MUCH better then any Shannahan, Zorn Spurrier team that we are used to. We are hyper competitive in every game.  Someday they might figure it out. 

In conclusion, I wanted to give up on Sunday after watching that and I dont blame anyone that does.  But after thinking about it..... Im really ok with where this team is.... Go ahead flame away.  

59 minutes ago, Fight for ole DC said:

I have to agree with SIP.

My take on where we stand in terms of being a contender......we MUST solve the problem of 3rd Down and 1 yard to go for a 1st. Until this team can consistently convert this situation for a 1st down RUNNING THE DAMN FOOTBALL we will continue to flounder as an 8-8 type team. IMO this has been Gruden's single biggest situational football downfall (that and clock management at the end of 2nd & 4th quarters). 

If there's anything that starts with "third down" that is a critical issue, it's third down defense. If we could get off the field more often than we do after forcing third down, our offense would have a much greater margin for error. 

Archived