Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Positive Thread

Bigmuss1

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You don't fire your OC after a great defensive plays well.

But when a terrible defense looks great? Yeah, that's when you fire someone.

We'll see.

Fair points, but i am not fully convinced our defense is terrible.  Can a terrible D consistently post great 2nd halves of games?  Maybe its a blind squirrel finding a nut but we should see OCs canned weekly after facing us. Barry seems to be learning how to best use his talent, right before our very eyes.  Starting with Norman in lockdown, the usage of Trent, and more recently, using Ziggy to his natural strengths. 

A blueprint may be showing for how he rolls. He gives enough early on  for an offense to think its going to be a cakewalk all day, no adjustments needed. Basically in read mode to start games. He is not pulling a Pettibon at halftime, more just dialing up the aggressiveness. OCs get frustrated, and try to force the issue. Get away from their game plan, but whatever it is, is not working. 

Barry is getting the last laugh of late. 

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I believe while they called it PI it was really face guarding. It seems they are just calling it all PI. You can knock the ball out of their hands without turning but you can't put your hand and arm up in front of their face without turning for the ball. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/01/04/lions-cowboys-referees-explanation-for-picking-up-flag-face-guarding-is-not-a-foul/

http://usafootball.com/blogs/fundamentals-and-performance/post/9751/ask-the-official:-face-guarding-in-itself-is-illegal-only-within-high-school-rules

?

51 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Then they must have changed the rules or I was just thinking of college. OH well, guess that was not right... :-)  It was still close in terms of contact. As a Redskins fan you don't want it called, but if that play were the other way on say Jackson or Garcon we would want it called. It was close. Either way, I give the refs the benefit of the doubt there.

19 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I'm having a hard time generating an opinion about our D after last week's stellar performance. Was it due to inept BAL O? Or are the guys finally executing Barry's system? I'm somewhere in the middle but hoping for the latter

The D did well in pass defense and generated a decent pass-rush, but they still could not stop the run and the Ravens inexplicably went away from it and that resulted in the firing of their OC. I think it truly was a combination of the two--decent defense played by the Redskins vs the pass but weak again vs the run and the Ravens game-plan was just dumb given what was working.

I am having one of those mornings...Excited. Want to win. NEED to win...but worried about our performance and which Redskins team shows up today. Hopefully all three units put it together today and we pull it out. 

I would love to see a convincing win against a NFCE rival at home. Hope DJax's talk to Cousins this week worked and the offense explodes, and our defense stands tall and rattles that rook!

The one MAJOR positive from this Season thus far is that The Redskins have shown the ability to Win!  While stating the obvious, it should be noted that in spite of our squad's flaws (weak Run Defense, Cousins' slow start to begin the year, scatterbrain commitment to Rushing the Football), they have been finding a path to Victory.

That's huge.

As it stands right now, we have a team that is figuring out how to Win ballgames consistently.  When someone needs to make a play on Defense, lately, someone steps up.  When the Offense needs to score to take (or re-take) the Lead, they do.  Although it may not be as pretty as we would like it to be at times, these Skins are getting the job done.  If this continues, it looks like this can become a team that knows how to Win.

And that makes all the difference.

2 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

The one MAJOR positive from this Season thus far is that The Redskins have shown the ability to Win!  While stating the obvious, it should be noted that in spite of our squad's flaws (weak Run Defense, Cousins' slow start to begin the year, scatterbrain commitment to Rushing the Football), they have been finding a path to Victory.

That's huge.

As it stands right now, we have a team that is figuring out how to Win ballgames consistently.  When someone needs to make a play on Defense, lately, someone steps up.  When the Offense needs to score to take (or re-take) the Lead, they do.  Although it may not be as pretty as we would like it to be at times, these Skins are getting the job done.  If this continues, it looks like this can become a team that knows how to Win.

And that makes all the difference.

Yep, they talked about this on the post-game show on CSN last week.

That the Redskins always found ways to lose games. Now they are finding ways to win them.

Hopefully, that will continue in today with a big win for the Redskins. :815:

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yep, they talked about this on the post-game show on CSN last week.

That the Redskins always found ways to lose games. Now they are finding ways to win them.

Hopefully, that will continue in today with a big win for the Redskins. :815:

And frankly, that's how we should judge this regime.  If the Washington Redskins are legitimate Contenders under this staff (Coaches, Front Office Personnel, Quarterback), then I say let it ride!

[Side Note: I liken this approach to how Baltimore functions.  Ozzie Newsome has been quite good for them, but I never felt Harbaugh was worth anything as a Head Coach.  He's no better than half the guys who get canned each year.  But he has shown the ability to not **** up what Ozzie gives him - and if that's the direction we head in, then I'll take it.]

NFC East remains quite entertaining

During the last two years, the Cowboys and Redskins flip-flopped from the top and bottom of the division while the Eagles and Giants hung in the middle. This year, all four teams are .500 or better, with Dallas and Washington leading the way.

Bulling their way through Eagles' run D

In Sunday's win, the Redskins had an NFL season-high 115 rushing yards after contact, per ESPN Stats & Info. Before Sunday, the Eagles' D had allowed 91 such yards all season long.

NFL Offensive Line of the Week: Redskins power balanced attack

By Shaun O'Hara

• Published: Oct. 18, 2016

Washington Redskins

Week 6 saw a breakout of 100-yard rushers, including the first 200-yard performance this season, making film a lot of fun to watch for this former center. Washington takes the award when you factor in the team's performance against an Eagles defense that ranked second in scoring defense and averaged 3.5 sacks per game prior to Sunday's divisional bout. Washington didn't allow a sack in the game, and while it was without star tight end Jordan Reed, the offense was able to put up almost 500 yards as part of its most balanced performance this season (33 rushing plays and 34 passing plays).

Kirk Cousins threw for 263 yards and two touchdowns in the Redskins' fourth straight win, but most of the damage was done by Matt Jones. He finished with 16 carries for 135 yards (8.4 yards per carry) and one score. On his nine runs running behind the left side of the offensive line -- LT Trent Williams and LG Shawn Lauvao -- Jones averaged 10.2 yards per carry. Williams did a great job at the point of attack and was very crafty when on the back side of some big runs.

One of the toughest things to do as a center is reaching the wide defensive tackles, and Spencer Long, who has filled in for Kory Lichtensteiger after he went down with an injury in Week 3, did that especially well for Washington on Sunday. Right guard Brandon Scherff had one of his best games since the Redskins drafted him fifth overall in 2015, as he more than held his own against Fletcher Cox. Kudos to the Redskins' line this week, as nobody expected them to win the battle at the line of scrimmage. And then, of course, there was the way Washington iced the game -- there is no better feeling than salting away a win with a 57-yard run in your four-minute offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000723490/article/nfl-offensive-line-of-the-week-redskins-power-balanced-attack

IKE'S ISLAND

Week 7 cornerback rankings: My top 10

1) Josh Norman, Washington Redskins (Last week's ranking: 3)

Next up: at Detroit Lions, 1 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Step aside Richard Sherman. There's a new No. 1 cornerback -- the same one who's been claiming that he is the best cornerback all offseason. Josh Norman has proven why he is the NFL's highest paid cornerback during his short time with the Redskins, leaving the struggling Panthers scratching their heads. He brings another dimension to this defense and has taken on big challenges each week.

I am more and more impressed by Norman as the season progresses. He's moved up to the top spot this week because of his stats. Through Week 6, Norman has allowed 17 receptions on 33 targets (51 percent completion rate) for 209 yards (12.3 yards per catch) and has a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 1:1. He has racked up eight passes defensed and 26 tackles. His numbers nearly equal or better than those of Richard Sherman (the former No. 1 CB on my list) and Patrick Peterson (the resident No. 2 here).

He faces a hot Matthew Stafford -- who has completed 68.9 percent of his passes this season -- on the road this week, and I see him taking care of business against Marvin Jones, Golden Tate and veteran Anquan Boldin.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724135/article/josh-norman-tops-new-cb-rankings-malcolm-butlers-steadiness

Remember last year and the beginning of this year one of the knocks on the Skins was their inability to beat teams with winning records?

Let's look at how that has changed:

Team's record at time of Skins game:

PIT 0-0

DAL 0-1

NYG 2-0

CLE 0-3

BAL 3-1

PHI 3-1

Of the 4 wins by the Skins, 3 were against winning teams. The combined records of our opponents at the time we played them is 8-6, and the combined records of the teams we beat at the time we played them is 8-5.

Let's also look at current records of those same teams

PIT 4-2

DAL 5-1

NYG 3-3

CLE 0-6

BAL 3-3

PHI 3-2

So, their combined record is 18-17.

I think we've turned the corner. We can beat winning teams!

3 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Let's also look at current records of those same teams

PIT 4-2

DAL 5-1

NYG 3-3

CLE 0-6

BAL 3-3

PHI 3-2

niiiice...and if you take away the losses we gave them its

18-13 = 58% - course maybe you should take away the 2 wins too...16-13 = 55%

5 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Remember last year and the beginning of this year one of the knocks on the Skins was their inability to beat teams with winning records?

Let's look at how that has changed:

Team's record at time of Skins game:

Edit

You were doing well on the first half of the argument. However, the second half doesn't look very good. The teams we beat are a collective 9-14 where the teams we lost to are 9-3.

I actually agree we are playing better. I feel we can be competitive with any team we play. The good news is that we are beating the teams we should beat.  

Archived