Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Venting thread

RichmondRedskin88

Its just one stupid mistake after another, fades are not bad calls but forcing fades to a rookie when the game is on the line is stupid, and furthermore I wouldn't run the fade when my QB is struggling with accuracy.  

How do we look so flat and undisciplined?

Why did we go into the season with scrubs on the D line?

I think the most interesting/damning thing is the Jackson and Norman parallel to the the DC coaching hire.

If you remember, neither Jackson or Norman were obtained in traditional ways. Rather, one was a surprise cut and the other was a surprise franchise tag release. Both were not expected to hit the market. They weren't really a part of anyone's free agency strategy. Yet when they were released, the Redskins swooped and both have become really productive and good assets so far.

Likewise, when we were going to pick our DC we had a range of early options. Bruce and Jay apparently liked Barry when there was a surprise cut. The entire staff of the Superbowl Broncos were cut. The entire staff of the recent Super Bowl caliber 49ers were cut. Both teams were predicated on great defenses! What happened? The Redskins stuck with the plan. Instead, of swooping like they did with Jackson and Norman, they showed a failure in nimbleness or an inability to change directions. 

Barry was a pretty risky hire. He had a horrible, horrible pedigree. I reserve the right to believe that top coordinators were wary of this gig. After all, Gruden was already on the hot seat and the savior QB's star had fallen pretty far. So maybe these guys said "no" believing it was going to be at max a one year gig. Maybe they asked for too much, but reports said that the attempts the Redskins made were pretty half hearted or non existent. They basically made their mind up, got some guff and so faked a little interest elsewhere and went back to plan.

That only flies if you turn out to be right. 

They could still be right, but last year's results were mixed and this year's results look really bad so far. What makes it worse is that grade A talent fell into our lap and we ignored the opportunity when we may have been the only suitor or if not had a serious market advantage. We didn't do what we did with Josh Norman or Desean Jackson, instead we stayed put.

It's looking like an opportunity lost.

I think it's time to do something substantive with the personnel. I'd like to see something different at safety and center. I also wouldn't be opposed to bring in or promoting a more prototypical NT, even if he's raw. We just need better results at those positions and it can't really hurt to tinker with the starters. 

Also, assuming we lose in NY, I would start to look at current vets who aren't in the future plans and try to stockpile draft picks or improve weak positions. You could probably get some sort of return a guy like Garcon (Hell, they seem to want Doctson in there anyway). I wouldn't expect anything great back for him, but a team who needs a solid WR would give up something. The more swings we give McCloughan in future drafts, the better. 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

. The more swings we give McCloughan in future drafts, the better. 

is it too early to judge McC's drafts? judge is the wrong word- (it is too early) I should say, is it too early to be concerned?

nobody was a bigger fan of his hiring than me, and nobody was more critical of shanahan than me after he was fired, but at the moment, its looking like our only 'good' players are shanahan holdovers and 2 guys in Norman and Jackson that fell into our laps.

in all likelihood, next year, we'll see something from the past 2 draft classes. at least I hope so.

7 minutes ago, grego said:

is it too early to judge McC's drafts? judge is the wrong word- (it is too early) I should say, is it too early to be concerned?

nobody was a bigger fan of his hiring than me, and nobody was more critical of shanahan than me after he was fired, but at the moment, its looking like our only 'good' players are shanahan holdovers and 2 guys in Norman and Jackson that fell into our laps.

in all likelihood, next year, we'll see something from the past 2 draft classes. at least I hope so.

I think it's too early. My point also isn't related to who's drafting necessarily. In general, we have plenty of holes, so I'd look for ways to add as many resources as possible to address/plug those holes. McCloughan has a track record, so history shows us that he's going to draft or acquire some good players. If someone like Garcon is essentially a lame duck and won't be back this year (and this year looks like a lost cause) I'd try to get value for players like that. 

After these last 2 games, I have never been any more supportive of moving completely out of maryland and dc, locate deeper in Virginia. The crowd is really disgusting me and makes going to fedex or watching at home an unpleasant experience. Sounds nothing like a home game and how can players get the crowd fired up when they see a blend of fans like it's some damn London game. Our team is coming off a good season and we already have these fans in dominating the stands?

That game seemed like 2 coaches and their teams trying to out stupid each other with our fades and both coaches' pass-happiness...unforced penalties.

I just added up the offensive plays on the Cowboys 1st drive, they only ran 3 times out 12 plays on offense.  With a rookie QB, and that O'line, and our D'line.  I don't get football, sometimes it doesn't seem to be about winning, it seems to be about running plays for the sake of running them.

McVay and Gruden need to look in the mirror on this one as much as Kirk.  Kirk was off, what do you do now?  Keep throwing it.

Jones was running hard, it was a close game...hammer those ****ers.  Nope, we've worked on this fade route for 3 years, we've got to hit 1 of them.

This time last year the team was weak on the interior of the o-line, unimpressive on the d-line, soft at ILB and rubbish at safety. Fast forward a year and a fit lauvao has improved the inside slightly, the d-line is worse, the ILB's and Safeties are as bad as they were. Mixed with poor offensive play-calling and abysmal defensive play calling and you have the recipe for the pig-swill we've been served thus far this season.

We have to go blitz heavy, if the other team is just going to march down the field on us anyway it doesn't matter if they move the ball in big chunks. They are doing that anyway, at least with the blitz occasionally getting home we improve our chance of getting the 3-4 turnovers we're going to need to win a game here and there.

Pretty miserable monday

Hire that little kid rugby player from Australia and start him over Matt Jones. Focus on running him up the gut for 4 yards per carry. Watch him turn on the afterburners if he breaches a hole:

Rugby Kid Video

My biggest gripe is our overall coaching philosophy:

1. Make a plan
  2. Practice the plan
  3. Sit back and wait for results no matter what happens
  4. Stick with the plan

Someone should tell these morons that nothing ever goes according to plan.

Lanier and Ioannidis need to start getting some time in on the d-line. It would be hard to get much worse on the dline than they already have been. They need to put Long at center, or someone that can remember the snap count and not continually have false starts at home. Also someone that wont get pushed straight back when the ball is snapped. They need to put Ihenacho in there because Bruton is nothing more than a special teamer. Has been nothing short of invisible aside from missed tackles.

And we need a real coordinator and not some loser that can't adjust, let alone come up with a half decent gameplan.

Offense needs to run the damn ball more. 75% of our plays have been passing. That is absurd even if we had Aaron Rodgers,Tom Brady, etc.. Run the damn ball at least 20 times.

Cousins needs to prove he is worth even half of the contract he got this season because right now, I wouldn't give him a bag of peanuts.

51 minutes ago, grego said:

From all accounts Scherff played very very well yesterday.  I am sorry we needed to shore up that OL, the only knock on Brandon is/was he wasn't a Tackle, but in a way that saved our butts with Moses being already here.  Williams also would have been a great pick but honestly look can you tell me he is not benefiting from two great all pro players playing next to him?  No. 

32 minutes ago, mike42 said:

After these last 2 games, I have never been any more supportive of moving completely out of maryland and dc, locate deeper in Virginia. The crowd is really disgusting me and makes going to fedex or watching at home an unpleasant experience. Sounds nothing like a home game and how can players get the crowd fired up when they see a blend of fans like it's some damn London game. Our team is coming off a good season and we already have these fans in dominating the stands?

It's called stubhub. Once the team starts winning, there seems to magically be less of them available on ticket sites. Nothing to do with Maryland or DC. 

Well i just ate lunch so I should be 'venting' a little pretty soon. Hope its not like the last time; both women in my office couldn't bring themselves to say something to me, they just both got up and went somewhere. 

Speaking of ****, is Barry now officially on the hot seat? He should be; get rid of his sorry ass now, promote from within, and do not under ANY circumstances, allow Bruce to be involved with any decision-making regarding a replacement, if its needed.

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

You know it can be worse.  We can be like Seattle's offense scoring only 3 against the Rams.  :)

Yes but they have won a game. They also have had a ton of success over the last few years, winning a SB and almost winning another. Plus getting to the playoffs for four straight years. They have way more of a rope than we do. 

Imagining what Kerrigan and P. Smith would look like in a Wade Phillips D. We could've had him. He wanted to be here. But Joe "I don't feel pressure, I bring it" Barry can't seem to scheme or adjust effectively enough to do anything of consequence.Barry isn't Haslett, but so far this season, I am not at all impressed (or confident in what he can deliver as a coordinator). I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, and will wait another few weeks before becoming less forgiving.

Archived