Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Venting thread

RichmondRedskin88

2 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

That game still brings back nightmares.  Ruined my Thanksgiving.

Speaking of, that's another thing to vent about, the fact that we play on SNF and then on Thursday Thanksgiving. The schedule makers did everything they could to **** us over this year. 

It's bad enough that we suck, it really does feel like the league likes to stick it to our team (owner?) more often than not. 

2 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Speaking of, that's another thing to vent about, the fact that we play on SNF and then on Thursday Thanksgiving. The schedule makers did everything they could to **** us over this year. 

It's bad enough that we suck, it really does feel like the league likes to stick it to our team (owner?) more often than not. 

I saw that and couldn't believe it.  That's in addition to a London game this year.  Totally ridiculous.  The NFL talks about player safety and then they schedule a sunday nighter followed by a Thursday game?  Such hypocrites.  

You know, I really do love this team. I have since I was a boy - but I think my love is vested in everything besides the actual football being played and the decisions made to facilitate it. I love the Redskins like I love my country - but I feel nothing for these particular Redskins, nor most of the teams I've seen throughout my lifetime.

The Redskins are, in my view, a quasi-public institution for the Greater Washington, D.C. Area - like the NSO or the Smithsonian (something that says "this is Washington") though they are a private business and, more or less, subject to the whims of a small group of people. They're a common rallying point for an incredibly diverse place (as the D.C. area is). They have a rich - albeit checkered - history that is fun to look back on.

But then you always have to come back to the present. You have to come back to Earth from Hog Heaven and you remember that most of those things happened before you were born and the last glimpse of glory this team has enjoyed happened when you were in your crib, fast asleep - your father doing his best to keep his enthusiasm muted so as not to wake you.

You realize this team is perpetually mediocre to terrible and there's little to show they'll be anything else.

So, they stop being a Sunday priority. You can afford to miss the Redskins game. You can do other things. If you're in the car, you'll listen to it - but you're probably on your way to doing something else or going home to take a nap. And as you read the score, whether they won or lost, you realize your time was better spent doing whatever it was that you were doing than watching this team play with your emotions and drain your time, knowing that, at best, the best you can expect is bowing out during the 1st round of the playoffs. This, even in a time of unprecedented parity. 

I love this team and what it stands for (at least what it's supposed to stand for) - but it won't drain me anymore.

1 minute ago, thebluefood said:

But then you always have to come back to the present. You have to come back to Earth from Hog Heaven and you remember that most of those things happened before you were born and the last glimpse of glory this team has enjoyed happened when you were in your crib, fast asleep - your father doing his best to keep his enthusiasm muted so as not to wake you.

So, they stop being a Sunday priority. You can afford to miss the Redskins game. You can do other things. If you're in the car, you'll listen to it - but you're probably on your way to doing something else or going home to take a nap. And as you read the score, whether they won or lost, you realize your time was better spent doing whatever it was that you were doing than watching this team play with your emotions and drain your time, knowing that, at best, the best you can expect is bowing out during the 1st round of the playoffs. This, even in a time of unprecedented parity. 

I love this team and what it stands for (at least what it's supposed to stand for) - but it won't drain me anymore.

Wow, what a great post.  Very well put.  Although, you are making feel incredibly old with the whole last glimpse of glory in your crib thing.  My best memories of this team are the 1991 season--it was completely magical, and I really don't know what kind of fan I would be if I didn't have that to fall back on.  Unfortunately, for me, and this is me in my mid-30s with two young children, no matter what I'm doing when the Redskins are playing, I feel a strong, almost gravitational pull to watch the game or at least follow it on the internet.  And even though I tell myself I won't be fooled again, and I won't become emotionally drained by our standard lackluster or completely awful performance, I have no real self control when it comes to the team.  I wish I did, but for me at least, part of being a fan is embracing the irrational.  I've certainly toned it down over the years, but I always maintain a sliver of hope (fading faster and faster) that this team will be on top once again. What I can tell you with absolutely certainty, is that it won't get there with this Keystone Cop coaching staff.

When the merger went down in 1970, and the NFC East had Us, Dallass, Philly, NY and the Cards, the Cardinals were the dregs of the division most of the time.  They were the team that finished in last place the most times.  They were the team that you looked at on your schedule for 2 easy wins.  They were the team you can count on to finish last and have to play fhe last place schedule up until the mid 90s.

That is when we took over.  I believe that we finished last in the division the most from about 1995 until realignment of the current divisional setup.  I know we have finished last in the 4 team NFC East more than the others.  We probably have the worst divisional record of the 4 teams over that span. 

We are now the "Cardinals" of the NFC East.

Sigh. :(

That sinking feeling when you realize that you may never see a Superbowl from your team in your lifetime. :( (28 Years Old)

Although I was born in 88, and technically experienced 91', I don't remember it. I want to be an adult and experience great Skins years, but it's been nothing but misery, mediocrity and disappointment.

2 hours ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

That sinking feeling when you realize that you may never see a Superbowl from your team in your lifetime. :( (28 Years Old)

Although I was born in 88, and technically experienced 91', I don't remember it. I want to be an adult and experience great Skins years, but it's been nothing but misery, mediocrity and disappointment.

Sane age and I expect I'll never see a DC championship or I'll be so out of it in my old age I won't register it. The second one would be cruel irony.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Watching this Pats vs Texans game. I could see Kirk excelling in an offense like the Pats are running. So creative and with their 3rd string QB. Gruden and co have to get more creative. 

the system is so successful because the franchise is so stable from top to bottom.  1 man in charge and everyone has the same goal.  We can't say that just yet with this team.  We are already leaning on Kirk to get us 27 pts and 300 yds passing every game.  You dont win in the NFL like that unless you have a top 3 QB.

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

the system is so successful because the franchise is so stable from top to bottom.  1 man in charge and everyone has the same goal.  We can't say that just yet with this team.  We are already leaning on Kirk to get us 27 pts and 300 yds passing every game.  You dont win in the NFL like that unless you have a top 3 QB.

Good points. I guess a part of me is a little jealous because I feel we have decent talent just not the best leaders. But very good points by you. 

Just now, skinsfan212689 said:

Good points. I guess a part of me is a little jealous because I feel we have decent talent just not the best leaders. But very good points by you. 

i'm sick and tired of people giving Gruden and Cousins crap.  You can't really analyze the results of Gruden with this roster 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

i'm sick and tired of people giving Gruden and Cousins crap.  You can't really analyze the results of Gruden with this roster 

Ok I disagree. Gruden or McVay whomever is calling plays panic way too fast. Panic as in giving up on the run especially in the Dallas game. They get too pass happy and then when they do decide to run its telegraphed most of the times. 

I get its a passing league but Gruden/McVay need more patience with the run. But that isn't a new thing with this team. 

No creativity. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Ok I disagree. Gruden or McVay whomever is calling plays panic way too fast. Panic as in giving up on the run especially in the Dallas game. They get too pass happy and then when they do decide to run its telegraphed most of the times. 

I get its a passing league but Gruden/McVay need more patience with the run. But that isn't a new thing with this team. 

No creativity. 

the play calling is fine if certain throws are made.  we have no idea what the calls on the goaline were prior to Cousins switching them to fades 

Patriots 3rd string QB looking like a hall of fame candidate.

Meanwhile Redskins players are more concerned with sending passive aggressive messages to former teammates and pointing fingers at each other like 13 year old girls.

Play 60 minutes of mistake free football and everything else becomes irrelevant.  It's not that hard people.

Remind me what I'm supposed to be rooting for again?  Because it damn sure doesn't look like football.  It looks like the same soap opera Bull**** I swore we left in the rear view mirror last year

49 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Watching this Pats vs Texans game. I could see Kirk excelling in an offense like the Pats are running. So creative and with their 3rd string QB. Gruden and co have to get more creative. 

Until the Redskins can get a defense that can hold a team under 21 points they will loose...You cannot put that type of pressure on Cousins and expect to win..The defensive coordinator needs to be fired for the crap that he has put on the field..

32 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

No creativity. 

I understand your angle, really I do; its what a lot of people are thinking.

IMO, this is a chess match; trying to stay 3 steps ahead of your opponent. So lets look at it from this angle;

1. Cousins is passing too much

2. Not running the ball enough

3. Our running game is nothing near what it was, personnel-wise, or success-wise from last year

4. Here's where the rubber meets the road; We can't run the ball effectively, mostly because of lack of talent/power.  Gruden is passing more, hoping to push the defense back in hopes of a running game opening. Defenses figured out we still can't run the ball consistently, so they're dropping back into pass protection more, thus making it more difficult, especially for a QB who is not hitting on all cylinders.

Cousins will work himself out of this problem, and hopefully Gruden/McVay can design some mass blocking run schemes to help take the pressure off. It sucks, I just knew we'd be lighting up the NFL, just not in this manner, but soon it will hit Cousins like a lightning bolt, and then the thunder begins.

15 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Until the Redskins can get a defense that can hold a team under 21 points they will loose...You cannot put that type of pressure on Cousins and expect to win..The defensive coordinator needs to be fired for the crap that he has put on the field..

I hear that but cousins is trying to get paid top 10 QB money he has to/need to he able to handle pressure. There's many QBs who's defense gives up more than 21 points and still lead and handle pressure. And 21 point is easy to get in today's NFL. 

I could see if he took a team friendly deal and allowed GMSM to gather more talent. But he's asking for so much money a year so talent will be limited which means KC8 has to lead. Get paid like a leader you have to lead like a leader. 

Hail. 

The team needs to be more disciplined. How many times do the Redskins startor end an important drive with a penalty? How often do the Redskins have questionable uses of their timeouts or come out flat following halftime? Little things like that I have heard since I started watching football were signs of a team that isn't be coached up. Well coached teams always play disciplined and mistake free football. When have you described a Redskins team like that? 

So I disagree with people defending the coaching staff. It's year 3 and at the very least they shouldn't be shooting themselves in the foot.

Archived