Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

5 minutes ago, DM72 said:

If you ever needed a reason to boycott the NFL.

If they pass this potential rule that it would now become a requirement for players to stand during the National Anthem, that would do it.

Yeah, if they pass this BS I'm out.  I will still post here, but I can't support this league in good conscience.

• Like 2

The whole POINT of the protest about 2 weeks ago was to defy Trump and now the owners show they true colors. These are the same people who stood hand and hand with they players in SUPPORT. Now they want to reverse all that good will and say " YOU BETTER STAND OR ELSE" 

This is LITERALLY what Trump was ASKING FOR

Did they really cave in to him

Smh

The sad thing is what are you going to do as a fan? Are you going to give up football because the players are "required to stand". Good luck with that. Yeah the Redskins are so engrained in my consciousness that there is no ****ing WAY i could eradicate them from my system. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

Unreal. The POTUS is officially using his influence to manipulate an organization around a largely first amendment issue. And the NFL is caving.

They were always going to have. Money talks and Trump has all the power. This is America now

I've been pretty ambivalent about this whole thing.  If people want to protest then fine, the freedom of speech is one of the many rights that are granted to Americans.  It's what makes this such a great country (among other things).  However, I also strongly believe that if you don't like the country you are living in then you should strongly consider moving somewhere else.  That is another right afforded to Americans and human beings everywhere, the freedom of movement. 

That has been branded as a simplistic and knee jerk retort to those who are protesting, but it is a legit answer.  I don't think Americans are grateful or appreciative enough of this country.  Racism is a horrible thing no doubt about it.  But can we focus on the positives for once?  There are so many worse places to live on this planet.  Standing during the national anthem and respecting the flag is something I believe Americans should be doing.  Particularly NFL players who are making millions and millions of dollars to play a game.

Love your country and fellow citizens.  Show respect.  That's really what I believe in, and I'm glad the NFL is looking into making it mandatory. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Boycotting is hard, but looks like Trump wins this. Which to his supporters means he is getting things done.

I say try not to support them financially as much as possible. The tv deal is set.  Even if viewership reaches zero, they still receive money for a few more years.

18 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

But can we focus on the positives for once?  There are so many worse places to live on this planet. 

Real easy to ****ing say when you arnt the one burying your father. But sure. That ****s great. Consider your message and audience. I dont think you are coming from and bad place but that comes off ways different. 

Also, I think we all need to pay attention to the NFLs statement, specifically that they will be giving players a way to make their voices heard on these issues. That is something. This effectively puts the ball into the players courts and I hope they take full advantage of it. I am disappointed, however, that they are taking a stand against kneeling but never once said the words racial injustice. That is a huge deal to me as it wont be noticed by most and it furthers the notion that this was about the flag, and it never was. 

**** Donald Trump and **** these 'Americans' that are so patriotic that they are more upset over a symbol of freedom and not the people whos freedoms are being walked on. Thats not what this country is supposed to be about and im so disappointed in all of you who are falling for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I've been pretty ambivalent about this whole thing.  If people want to protest then fine, the freedom of speech is one of the many rights that are granted to Americans.  It's what makes this such a great country (among other things).  However, I also strongly believe that if you don't like the country you are living in then you should strongly consider moving somewhere else.  That is another right afforded to Americans and human beings everywhere, the freedom of movement. 

That has been branded as a simplistic and knee jerk retort to those who are protesting, but it is a legit answer.  I don't think Americans are grateful or appreciative enough of this country.  Racism is a horrible thing no doubt about it.  But can we focus on the positives for once?  There are so many worse places to live on this planet.  Standing during the national anthem and respecting the flag is something I believe Americans should be doing.  Particularly NFL players who are making millions and millions of dollars to play a game.

Love your country and fellow citizens.  Show respect.  That's really what I believe in, and I'm glad the NFL is looking into making it mandatory. 

We should respect the flag by respecting what it stands for, for example the right to not stand up. 

I don't think Americans are appreciative enough of rights like this that some other countries don't have and many have died for and are still dying for.

It's shameful and embarrassing that we would seek to emulate such authoritarianism and spit on this country's principles and those who died for them....

Edited by visionary
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, TMK9973 said:

The big question is what if the player doesnt stand? Then what?

What if they stand but walk around?

What if they stand but turn their back to the flag?

Solution is so simple - National anthem prior to the players coming out.  

Depends on the wording in the rulebook, probably. I f they were smart, they'd cover all bases, but if not, then yeah, stand and turn your back

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

We should respect the flag by respecting what it stands for, for example the right to not stand up. 

I don't think Americans are appreciative enough of rights like this that some other countries don't have and many have died for and are still dying for.

It's shameful and embarrassing that we would seek to emulate such authoritarianism and spit on this country's principles and those who died for them....

I'm familiar with abdc, posting in the rtt for many years. I recall him saying that he is the son of a politician/ambassador or something of the like.

That statement did not shock me at  all, needless to say. It is the privilege of living that kind of life, where the world presented to you is not the same world as the one I, several other posters in this thread, and many more minorities see, from the moment of consistent memory.

I probably shouldn't blame him for that pov, and his ignorance as a result

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1