Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Definitely worth a read.  This is from the same guy who originally talked Kaep into kneeling instead of sitting.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21003968/nfl-2017-ex-green-beret-nate-boyer-writes-open-letter-president-donald-trump-colin-kaepernick-nfl-united-states-america

He really is a good dude from everything I read about him. And it is a good read. But I fear no one will read it and the two "leaders" he is calling to fix this thing are anything but. Shame we dont have more men like him in places where they can actually cause change. 

He may be a little naive too. No way Trump and Kap sit down and anything meaningful comes from it. 

Pretty interesting collusion case. Lots of legal jargon I don't understand. I guess it comes down to if there is evidence that Colin is being prevented from playing regardless of his talent. Hard to prove that teams are holding off signing him purely because of a vendetta (as opposed to him simply not being a good fit). 

Regardless I think he has a good case simply from a talent standpoint. He is better than a lot of backups imo. 

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Pretty interesting collusion case. Lots of legal jargon I don't understand. I guess it comes down to if there is evidence that Colin is being prevented from playing regardless of his talent. Hard to prove that teams are holding off signing him purely because of a vendetta (as opposed to him simply not being a good fit). 

Regardless I think he has a good case simply from a talent standpoint. He is better than a lot of backups imo. 

I dont think he has a case, personally. I guess it depends on if he has to prove all 32 teams colluded or if just a few did. 

Didnt he turn down a contract from the 49ers? That would seem to indicate that not all teams did and to me that should ruin his argument. But like all of you i dont really know. 

I do think the Redskins, Dolphins and Cowboys telling players 'You bet not' helps his case a little though. Who knows. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I dont think he has a case, personally. I guess it depends on if he has to prove all 32 teams colluded or if just a few did. 

Didnt he turn down a contract from the 49ers? That would seem to indicate that not all teams did and to me that should ruin his argument. But like all of you i dont really know. 

I do think the Redskins, Dolphins and Cowboys telling players 'You bet not' helps his case a little though. Who knows. 

i'm with you.

my impression is that individual teams don't want the PR headache or distraction, especially for a backup. and, i think owners are worried about their bottom line (of course, they are billionaires anyway, but). they think they'll suffer financially if they sign him, which may be true, i dunno. and i still stand by my argument that he's essentially RG3 in terms of his effective style, so unless youre committed to that style, theres no reason to have him as your backup. 

the niners thing as far as him having a contract offer is interesting, and if the ravens were really serious about him and his gf did what she did, that doesnt help him. even if they were undecided, her tweet was not helping, so that hurts. 

but i dont think theres collusion between teams to keep him out of the league, as far as i can tell. 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Reports were out after the Packers/Cowboys game that Jones said any player kneeling for the anthem would not play. It was later followed up that players in DC and Miami have been told similar 

Yes, I've heard about the Cowboys. I don't think that's the case with the Redskins.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thats what was reported. Did anyone kneel Sunday? I haven’t heard anything about it since 

Article in the Post on the 9th Oct. says they have not received a mandate to stand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/10/09/redskins-players-have-not-received-a-mandate-to-stand-during-the-national-anthem/?utm_term=.25eda40b3b6f

Thompson and other Redskins on Monday denied a weekend report that owner Daniel Snyder told players to stand during the national anthem moving forward.

From Washington Times

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

I think the Redskins released a statement that indicated they had NOT directed players to stand after it was spread on social media that they had.

Actually, it looks like they skirted saying anything about what they expect of the players.
DKh45qDW0AAwsn-.jpg

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2017 at 9:16 PM, abdcskins said:

The teams have more than the talent (or lack of) card to play their stronger card is that they could say that Kaepenick would be detrimental to their bottom-line. I'm pretty sure that should be easy to show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nonniey said:

The teams have more than the talent (or lack of) card to play their stronger card is that they could say that Kaepenick would be detrimental to their bottom-line. I'm pretty sure that should be easy to show.

I bet it's not easy to show. Tickets are already sold. TV Contracts for billions are already signed. Profit sharing for things like jerseys and hats and t-shirts is already a thing. So, we're basically talking about concessions? Is a big time stadium sponsor like Bud Light going to pull out over a guy who's signed to a prorated Vet min deal for the rest of the season?

An interesting nugget in the CBA...If collusion of any kind against players occurs and 14 or more teams are involved, the CBA is immediately terminated. 

Sure it's not likely to happen,  but just found it interesting. Pretty sure that came to be after the collusion situation in baseball during the 80s. 

37 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

collusion is hard to prove because you have to prove a league wide effort.

But knowing what Kaepernick and his lawyers are trying to do, its more about the discovery process and a lot of information becoming public.

That may actually force the NFL to settle, but we will see.

Didnt even consider that. I doubt they would be able to get that kind of information, but that is a good point. 

33 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

An interesting nugget in the CBA...If collusion of any kind against players occurs and 14 or more teams are involved, the CBA is immediately terminated. 

Sure it's not likely to happen,  but just found it interesting. Pretty sure that came to be after the collusion situation in baseball during the 80s. 

That added to the point above actually makes this very interesting now. 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

collusion is hard to prove because you have to prove a league wide effort.

But knowing what Kaepernick and his lawyers are trying to do, its more about the discovery process and a lot of information becoming public.

That may actually force the NFL to settle, but we will see.

No idea where this is going. Feels like the NFLPA who wants the CBA to end sooner so they can get back to the table, might be jumping in on this. Then again, Smith and the NFLPA got in bed with Mara when he dinged Washington/Dallas for the uncapped stuff. So, who knows?

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Didnt even consider that. I doubt they would be able to get that kind of information, but that is a good point. 

That added to the point above actually makes this very interesting now. 

Interesting, but not likely at all. Remember, in the uncapped year the NFL all but admitted they colluded against the players when they punished Jones and Snyder, and how did that turn out? It may be they avoided repercussions because they got the NFLPA to agree to not sue for collusion for that year...which should've been a big red flag to Demaurice Smith. But I'm fairly confident the NFL isn't scared of this collusion suit at all. Like before, they've made sure there is no paper trail for their marching orders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

Interesting, but not likely at all. Remember, in the uncapped year the NFL all but admitted they colluded against the players when they punished Jones and Snyder, and how did that turn out? It may be they avoided repercussions because they got the NFLPA to agree to not sue for collusion for that year...which should've been a big red flag to Demaurice Smith. But I'm fairly confident the NFL isn't scared of this collusion suit at all. Like before, they've made sure there is no paper trail for their marching orders. 

True. But I do think in that instance they were colluding against the organizations and not the players themselves. I would be surprised if they would allow for a rule that would stop them from colluding against other organizations or owners. The players may have more protection in that case. 

But I do agree its not likely either way.