Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Hes not that President and he never will be. He wasnt even elected to be. All things come to an end. Take pride in the fact that you get to watch the end of the greatest nation in the history of man so far. Cause everything you are talking about is over. He will not be the last and he probably wont even be the worst. 

I'm not going to be that fatalistic, but I will agree with you that until they prove otherwise... Republicans and Conservatives do not believe in the American Dream or the American Promise. They reject the Constitution. Ironically, they reject it in the name of patriotism, but it's a false sort of patriotism if it is not embedded in the Constitution.

Okay, I guess I'll be a little fatalistic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Discussion now on MSNBC. 

edit, add:  I'm with LSF.  Either recite the Preamble, or get rid of the whole ****in' thing.  Seriously.  IT'S A GAME.  Not a swearing-in ceremony, or anything remotely like it.

Like I've said before, we always do "hand over heart", either sitting or standing.  If I happen to be upright, I remain that way...I never ran inside the ship to get out of saluting my colors, many of my shipmates would literally be running, and I've seen a dude trip over the hatchway and lose a couple teeth.   THAT was stupid. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 2

alright you guys...end the personal bickering

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

No boycott for me.  I'll be at the game Sunday and I'll be standing.

I struggle with knowing that it really bothers some (whose take is of a nuanced nature i can support) of those who object to the protests and the fact that I'd personally enjoy seeing many more players take knees or raise fists etc. I'd like to see a large number of players force the issue.

To me, in most discussion contexts, matters of symbolism, patriotism, and nationalism are all on very short leashes before they quickly become overtaken by low-thinking emoting and self-identity posturing/puffery.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The 'if you dont like it get out' thing almost never gets a good response from a minority. Especially one that knows its their right to not like it AND stay. 

And saying " **** this country " isn't usually going to get a positive response from some people either.

Of course, I agree 100%, and I haven't given up on the U.S. just yet.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

Just make the rule be that if you're on the field for the anthem, you have to stand.  If you dont wanna stand, stay in the tunnel.  Protest still works.  

If you force everybody out there, it's gonna be whack-a-mole as guys find ways to protest without kneeling.  Surely guys will be out there standing with their backs turned.  Or guys will just protest during the game, which nobody wants.  You can have group celebrations now, how long before you get 5 or 6 guys kneeling in the endzone.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

To me, in most discussion contexts, matters of symbolism, patriotism, and nationalism are all on very short leashes before they quickly become overtaken by low-thinking emoting and self-identity posturing/puffery.

Admittedly its hard not to do this. Im working on it though 

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

60mil plus voted for him

he'll probably get a similar number the next time

its the country

i can identify with the take (i tend to apply it to humans as a species), but in reality even if your number is accurate, the other x millions are part of the country, too, right?....and your argument would be that you/they are the better part...so you work with them to conquer the 60 mil bad part...and that's where i come in...shhhh.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

And saying " **** this country " isn't usually going to get a positive response from some people either.

Of course, I agree 100%, and I haven't given up on the U.S. just yet.

On this we agree. Point taken. 

I cant say I haven't given up yet. But honestly there is alot of negativity right now and things aint going in a positive direction.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i can identify with the take (i tend to apply it to humans as a species), but in reality even if your number is accurate, the other x millions are part of the country, too, right?....and your argument would be that you/they are the better part...so you work with them to conquer the 60 mil bad part...and that's where i come in...shhhh.....

silence is violence

I've always stood for the anthem.

I will always support the players right to express themselves on social issues.

and.........

I will always support the owners right to assert their ownership in regards to what they feel is best for their business.

Also, It's not really possible for me to summon greater disdain for Jones/Snyder/Goodell/various ilk/etc than I currently possess.  Soooo...today's events neither surprise nor enrage me.

#hail

#trumpsucks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

silence is violence

did you just bumper sticker me?

why i oughta......

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I cant say I haven't given up yet. But honestly there is alot of negativity right now and things aint going in a positive direction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oversimplifying it, I think America comes down to the Superman test.

Truth, Justice, and the American Way (which I interpret as dream). In this, we are currently failing America on at least two fronts.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Oversimplifying it, I think America comes down to the Superman test.

Truth, Justice, and the American Way (which I interpret is dream). In this, we are currently failing America on at least two fronts.

And whats sad is that people will argue that your expectations are too high. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

And whats sad is that people will argue that your expectations are too high. 

Maybe. I think more will just disagree saying... truth was always a casualty and think that justice is fine and the American Way is fine. I think the latter two at the very least are hurting. In part because of our leadership, but also because of deep systemic inequities that have recently come more to the forefront and some that have been long festering (like the prison pipeline and neglect abuse of our elderly)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinsfan999 said:

I wonder how all of this will be seen 100 years from now. I thought freedom of speech was in the first amendment, but apparently it doesn't matter anymore. We are headed down a dark path, every day I am more and more reminded of 1984 by George Orwell. 

We watched the movie not too long ago.  I got the shivers myself.

But the reality of his tweets, in real time...

Then again, I know I'm on camera at all times. 

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Show respect.  That's really what I believe in, and I'm glad the NFL is looking into making it mandatory. 

These two sentences are contradictory. Respect is earned, not forced or made mandatory. What you, and the NFL really want is compliance. 

Now it would be nice if the NFL was actually going to work towards addressing what the actual protest is about. And not just talk about it, but supporting players working in the communities and NPOs that are working for racial equality and against police brutality. But we all know they couldn’t care less. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

the most comical part of all this is that 45 really got people thinking he gives a flying **** about that flag

has not accomplished a single thing of note in office, but his base will drink the kool-aid because he told those negroes to know their place

Exactly. Didn’t he defend flag burning in a tweet some years back? Apparently burning a flag isn’t as bad as kneeling. 

18 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

These two sentences are contradictory. Respect is earned, not forced or made mandatory. What you, and the NFL really want is compliance. 

Now it would be nice if the NFL was actually going to work towards addressing what the actual protest is about. And not just talk about it, but supporting players working in the communities and NPOs that are working for racial equality and against police brutality. But we all know they couldn’t care less. 

Goodell couldn't even be bothered to actually list the reason they were protesting in his statement

says it all really

• Like 3