Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

@dav87scI thought it was common knowledge that Representative Wilson 1) was a family friend, 2) was a mentor to him, and 3) that she was riding in the car with the family.  

With (part of) the blame aimed at her, I'm guessing right wing media probably didn't really mention #1 and #2.  I would say they need to be better informed with their deflections, but many seem to gobble it up.  (I would say something about how they did it to Clinton on a vast scale... but I don't think you'd be the right audience).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

nah he ain't sorry, he said what he meant

message was clear, "stay in your place"

He's sorry because as one of the guys who was worried about his own pocket book, is going to hurt his own pocket book. 

Hopkins skipped practice today and players are angry about  the quote. There will be something happening Sunday that is non football related that we will be talking about Sunday night and Monday. 

• Like 1

Apparently Troy Vincent called him out on that comment in the meeting and during a break, he sought Vincent out and made amends with him. The article said Vincent let it go, but considering things that Jones and Snyder all said I don’t know how that guy does his job. 

I know he has publicly stated he wishes all players would stand, but he can’t be cool with some of the BS those owners were spouting. Snyder actually said some nonsense statistic about 96% of the country wanting the players to stop kneeling, and even the audience he said it to, older white men, were scoffing at that nonsense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Now that I'm seeing more about it, I'm kind of pissed that the players are getting so upset.  Hopkins skipping practice for it should get a fine.  I really don't get the uproar.

I'm sure you don't.

Bottom line, it was an extremely offensive comment. There is no two ways about it.

• Like 2

Just now, spjunkies said:

I'm sure you don't.

Bottom line, it was an extremely offensive comment. There is no two ways about it.

Care to explain?  I really don't get it.  The 3 articles I've read don't explain it other than one said it was racist (not sure how).  And don't even get me started on the FB comments.  I'm honestly not being obtuse, I don't get the issue.  Is it because the players don't like that they are employees?  Because they are.  They don't sign their own paychecks.

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Care to explain?  I really don't get it.  The 3 articles I've read don't explain it other than one said it was racist (not sure how).  And don't even get me started on the FB comments.  I'm honestly not being obtuse, I don't get the issue.  Is it because the players don't like that they are employees?  Because they are.  They don't sign their own paychecks.

Because he came within an inch of saying "we can't let the slaves run the plantation". I know code talk when I see it and refuse to turn my head when it happens. All he did was save his butt by balking before he went way too far and ended up like Donald Sterling.

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Because he came within an inch of saying "we can't let the slaves run the plantation". I know code talk when I see it and refuse to turn my head when it happens. All he did was save his butt by balking before he went way too far and ended up like Donald Sterling.

How so?  He used a common phrase used in every day life.  I respect your opinion but this, to me, seems like looking for racism where there is no reason to assume it exists.  One, it is a common phrase.  Two, there are inmates of every color.  Three, I'm not aware of this owner having any type of history that should make us assume racism.  If it was George Preston Marshall, I would say you may have a point.  But you are going to need to back up your assertion a little more to convince me.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How so?  He used a common phrase used in every day life.  I respect your opinion but this, to me, seems like looking for racism where there is no reason to assume it exists.  One, it is a common phrase.  Two, there are inmates of every color.  Three, I'm not aware of this owner having any type of history that should make us assume racism.  If it was George Preston Marshall, I would say you may have a point.  But you are going to need to back up your assertion a little more to convince me.

Mr. Hopkins has a different point of view than you, Buzz.  And that's to be expected.  Might wanna show a little leeway on this one.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honestly, I'm too tired to think too much about this tonight. Go read Richard Sherman's comments about the issue and you'll see how I feel about it. Ultimately you're entitled to your opinion so I'll leave it alone for now.

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

context matters. and from my point of view, convincing you (not you in particular, just more of a general saying), is not very high on the list of priorities.  People who look like me are tired of having to explain our pain to gain the slightest form of empathy from those who refuse to see whats before their eyes.

the sitting president, who McNair has supported and donated to as much or more than other owner, reduced the players to sons of ****es

now, McNair follows up with inmates.  its coded language that those of us who look a certain way know when we hear it, and its barely coded at that. he didn't get where he is being stupid, he knew what he said and what it would mean, he just sorry it went public because it distracts from their narrative

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Mr. Hopkins has a different point of view than you, Buzz.  And that's to be expected.  Might wanna show a little leeway on this one.

He does.  So does the Texans owner.  I just fail to see how this can be assumed to be racist.  Unless the owner has a history of other things which I found no record of.  I read Shermans comments also.  I still feel that this is a case of looking for racism.  Like a guilty until proven innocent sort of thing.  I've used that phrase before.  And I don't believe I'm a racist.  I'm all for calling out racism where it exists.  But we should not be assuming something is racist.  

And for the record, I'm assuming the reason it is considered racist is because "inmates" is supposed to be a code for black people?  Maybe there is another angle I'm oblivious to?  If so, I will totally admit I missed it.

11 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

context matters. and from my point of view, convincing you (not you in particular, just more of a general saying), is not very high on the list of priorities.  People who look like me are tired of having to explain our pain to gain the slightest form of empathy from those who refuse to see whats before their eyes.

the sitting president, who McNair has supported and donated to as much or more than other owner, reduced the players to sons of ****es

now, McNair follows up with inmates.  its coded language that those of us who look a certain way know when we hear it, and its barely coded at that. he didn't get where he is being stupid, he knew what he said and what it would mean, he just sorry it went public because it distracts from their narrative

I get what you are saying but maybe it is possible there was no code there?

Reminds me of something that happened at work one day.  I was BS'ing with a few guys at work, one of which happened to be black (and a good friend) named Will.  I don't even remember exactly the conversation but we were talking something about people jumping fences getting into our area.  I said something to the effect of "people going to just start hopping the fence like a bunch of crazy ninja's?"  Will looked at me and said "what the hell did you just say Buzz?"  I'm sure I had a confused on my face and said it again.  He said "what do you mean ninja's?"  I said the Japanese fighting guys in black with ninja stars.  He then explained to me that apparently Ninja is code for another N word.  I had NO clue.  Anyways, he laughed.  I laughed.  He said I was dumb because I didn't know that.  I said that was a dumb code word.  We moved on.

Point being, racism isn't always there.  And when you suspect it, get clarification before becoming upset.  

As for Trump, I got no defense.  But McNair could have just donated to him not because he wanted to support a racist but because he knew who would be a friend to another millionaire.  

EDIT:  And you don't have to "convince" me.  But helping people like me understand while also understanding where we are coming from should be important.  Just like the opposite is true for me to you.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

The players are not "inmates".  Theyre highly accomplished and dedicated professionals and should be treated as such.  The comments were extremely disrespectful at a minimum.  It doesn't require some huge leap of logic to interpret them as racially demeaning.  

You get it Buzz.  But you'd rather not cop to it.  Takes you down a narrative you're uncomfortable with.  No huge leap of logic required there either.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The players are not "inmates".  Theyre highly accomplished and dedicated professionals and should be treated as such.  The comments were extremely disrespectful at a minimum.  It doesn't require some huge leap of logic to interpret them as racially demeaning.  

You get it Buzz.  But you'd rather not cop to it.  Takes you down a narrative you're uncomfortable with.  No huge leap of logic required there either.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.  Not much makes me uncomfortable.  And I don't believe I have anything to "cop" to.  

You are right.  The players are not inmates.  Neither are the Sailors who I've used that phrase with.  And probably not any other time it's been used.  I'm sorry but so far from what I hear here and read online, I'm becoming more convinced that this is guilty until proven innocent regarding racism.

I have never heard the phrase “inmates running the asylum” used it in any context with a workforce that is predominantly white, or predominantly of people with a high amount of academic success or wealth. I’ve never heard administrators at an Ivy League school call students who didn’t agree with a new rule or guideline “inmates”. I’ve never heard of a tech firm consider their highly skilled workforce as “inmates” either. 

In the case of sports, I heard it used in relation to NFL and NBA players. But not MLB or NHL players. Now why is that?  Are my personal experiences with that phrase simply that, my personal experience, or is there a larger, hidden meaning at play? 

Just now I decided to look up what the terms origins come from and wow, I don’t think many people who’ve ever used the term know about the 1920s movie it’s origin is traced back to. 

On 10/24/2017 at 7:23 PM, dav87sc said:

You seem to completely ignore the entire Clinton Foundation money laundering scheme involving players from many other countries trying to buy influence from her when she was SOS and with hope for her becoming POTUS.  It is completely amazing how all of the money going into the Foundation just stopped dead when she lost.  Not pay to play?  You can't possible believe that was on the up and up.  That, by definition, is what is labelled as a being open to blackmail.  Not a position that the POTUS should be in.

It IS completely amazing how all of the money going into the Foundation just stopped dead when she lost.. It's also completely bull****. Clinton Foundation brought in less in 2016, WHEN SHE WAS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, than in any other year.... on purpose... so that there wouldn't be any questions about pay to play. Which, in retrospect, was dumb since you and the others who are so easily misled are going to accuse them of it anyway.

• Like 3