Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Tbf, the anthem issue is highly politicized. So will you be avoiding this thread too? :D

:ols: 

Seriously though, sure it's highly politicized since the president got involved and called out the NFL owners/players, etc.  I just don't think there needs to be discussion and debates, bickering, etc. about political issues that don't relate directly to the thread topic. 

It's gotten into a debate about the ACA, Clinton Foundation, etc. with dav87sc's continued off-topic posts and agenda.  We got plenty of political threads for all that stuff.  Just sayin.

• Like 1

Seems like a nice enough guy.

1030-colin-kaepernick-cop-costume-twitte

The Chief of the University of Nevada, Reno Police Dept. -- where Colin Kaepernick went to school -- is apologizing for an officer who mocked the QB at a Halloween party.

The officer in hot water is Antonio Gutierrez -- who wore a Kaepernick jersey with a "Will stand for food" sign ... while sporting an afro wig and a fake nose in an effort to make fun of the QB.

But the UNR PD ain't laughing ... Chief Adam Garcia issued a statement condemning Gutierrez saying, "For those who have seen the Halloween costume of one of our officers apparently mocking a citizen who has chosen to take advantage of his constitutional right to protest, I offer my sincere apologies."

"Members of our profession are held to a higher standard and denigrating another -- on or off duty -- is insensitive for its lack of respect and lack of understanding on how others may negatively view their actions and may be impacted."

Unclear if the officer has been disciplined. We've made called to the UNR PD, so far no word back. 

FYI, Kaepernick was a standout QB at UNR from 2007 to 2010 -- before being drafted by the 49ers.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/30/colin-kaepernick-reno-police-officer-halloween-costume/

• Like 1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21250448/nfl-sponsor-papa-john-not-happy-anthem-protests

Papa John's says anthem protests are hurting deal with NFL

Executives from Papa John's, the official pizza company of the NFL, expressed disappointment on a conference call Wednesday about the league's ongoing player protests during the national anthem.

"The NFL has hurt us," company founder and CEO John Schnatter said. "We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this."

Executives said the company has pulled much of its NFL television advertising and that the NFL has responded by giving the company additional future spots.

"Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership," Schnatter said, noting he thought the issue had been "nipped in the bud" a year and a half ago.

In revising sales estimates for the next quarter, Papa John's president and chief operating officer Steve Ritchie said on the call that the NFL deal was the primary suspect behind the decline and that "we expect it to persist unless a solution is put in place."

Ritchie said that research has found that Papa John's has been the most recognized sponsor associated with the NFL for two years running, which he said means the company's performance can track with that of the league.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:30 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Holy crap.  While not in the best taste, it was a freaking joke.  Get over it.  I think this is the type of stuff the Right is complaining about when you hear "political correctness" and the complaints about it.  At least the sane people on the Right (both of us).  

Employers have the right to tell their employees not to represent them with bad jokes. Just like they have the right to tell them to stand or not to stand. 

I feel you. Just a joke. But his employer felt otherwise. 

Just now, tshile said:

You sure it was his employer who felt otherwise?

It was his chief that issued the statement right? 

Don't take me too seriously though I'm just playing devils advocate and have no attachment to this opinion. I just find the Karma Justice in this case and the reaction to it pretty amusing lol

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It was his chief that issued the statement right? 

Don't take me too seriously though I'm just playing devils advocate and have no attachment to this opinion. I just find the Karma Justice in this case and the reaction to it pretty amusing lol

People issue statements all the time not because they actually feel that way, but because of negative PR causing them to pretend they feel that way.

I don't know how the chief actually feels, but that reads like a standard release after backlash.

I'm just super cynical of releases like that. I think it's laughable how many people eat them up. It's funny the firings, the statements, etc never come until weeks after an incident when the public finds out (not in this case, just speaking generally)

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Employers have the right to tell their employees not to represent them with bad jokes. Just like they have the right to tell them to stand or not to stand. 

I feel you. Just a joke. But his employer felt otherwise. 

True.  But I believe he was on his off time.  Though Im told "on the clock" is a stupid point. ?

Whateber.  Im in the military.  I know plenty about not being able to do or say things no matter where I am.