Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

30 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Nobody knows what the protest is about, much less cares.  NFL players had 2 years to follow Kaep and pretty much didn't.  Now they kneel to try to get back at Trump.  So he antagonizes them.  Then, today idiot Jamele Hill tells people not to use NFL sponsors products.  Which is almost exactly what Trump wanted people to do in the first place.  All of which hurts the NFL and the players.  They don't realize that they are doing this to themselves.

"Nobody knows"

uh,, i am pretty sure people do know what the protest is about, but they don't want to discuss the problem black America is having trusting the police, to put it mildly.

People that don't care are people that WON'T care, and won't listen.

You'd have to live under a rock to not know what it's about,, or the narratives brought forth meant specifically to muddy and cloud the water are having their desired effect.

~Bang

• Like 6
17 hours ago, visionary said:

True, but timing hasn't really made much difference to the response.

Looking at what Jones said, it's interestingly vague and repetitive. 

https://www.apnews.com/9adb272073514fe9843e501007f1708c?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Although he does say team unity isn't as important, so it does seem like he's referring to anything done for that effect that could be interpreted as disrespecting the flag, though he doesn't call out any specific action as doing that.

he does not and has never cared about any of these issues that affect black people.

He called Trump right after he kneeled, so he is clearly not anti-Trump either. He was mucking for the cameras too. 

These owners do not care about anything. They just want to help their money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Nobody knows what the protest is about, much less cares.  NFL players had 2 years to follow Kaep and pretty much didn't.  Now they kneel to try to get back at Trump.  So he antagonizes them.  Then, today idiot Jamele Hill tells people not to use NFL sponsors products.  Which is almost exactly what Trump wanted people to do in the first place.  All of which hurts the NFL and the players.  They don't realize that they are doing this to themselves.

Everyone does know what the protest is about...I guess I mean "everyone except you".  Get off Jamele.  She's far from being my favorite "opinion person" on sports, but as a beat reporter, she did a fine job...and that's what was brought up on the radio here today.  Her show is an OPINION show, not your traditional SportsCenter.  However, she had been warned to not opine, even on her own twit account, and she did it again, so she was reprimanded.  And her views may actually help sponsors...I damn sure wanna see if State Farm can save me some money now thanks to Aaron Rodgers' performance yesterday.  "Clutch a savings win"...now THAT'S a slogan! 

And I wish to heaven that the players would let a couple bucks go (as was referenced in earlier posts)...but WINNING is all they want to do.  It's been their goal since they were kids, and ain't nothin' gonna change that. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tshile said:

So the owners are working to stop it eh? I guess I have to take back that it wasn't having an effect. They wouldn't care otherwise.

Guess the kneeling drives away more viewers than it attracts.

Right 

20 hours ago, grego said:

Trying to sort thru this, kind of thinking out loud.

I support anyone's right to kneel whole heartedly.

By that same logic, I support a team owners mandate that players he's paying must stand, and if a player chooses to not play by the rules of said owner, he is (or will be) free to play for another team who's owner has different rules (even if I can disagree with both stances, practically and logically, but not in terms of absolute 'rights'). 

Been a long day, so please let me know if and where I'm screwing this up. 

This is correct.

This is freedom at work, folks.  Kaepernick has the right to protest.  Some Americans have the right to not watch.  Other players have the right to join him, or not.  Owners have the right to tell their players `not at work, or else`.  We all have the right to watch it all unfole (or not watch)

A few things I think, though

1.  When the president weighs in and starts bullying owners or the leagues or players, that is an assault on our freedom and no American should be okay with it

2.  Players who choose not to protest should ALWAYS be free of scorn or accusations.  I do not like at all what Im reading on this front.

3.  This entire thing goes to show why pro sports is basically a collection of idiots, from the owners on down.  Tell your kids to look for other institutions for role models.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right 

I think the other issue, and probably the bigger one, is that the NFL players are failing at messaging. The Administration succeeded in painting this as an act of disrespect of our military and nation. That narrative is one that the protesters can't win. I don't think that's what the kneeling is about or what it represents, but the lack of clarity from the spokespeople of this protest (probably because there really are no spokespeople) leaves a vacuum which those who oppose the protest are happy to fill.

Step one of a protest is to gain attention. The kneeling gained attention. Step two is to explain why you are protesting and try to get people on your side. Step three is to present solutions. Step four is to mainstream the solutions and work with the powers that be to craft a compromise that changes the normal in a (hopefully) better direction.

The NFL players are stuck on step one. It's a half-hearted kind of protest because they want to make a gesture, but I think most don't want to really invest in it or put themselves at any risk for it.

Edited by Burgold

I guess it would be too much for conservatives to remember they are against governmental overreach and for a free market.

How that jives with cheering the head of the executive branch attacking a private business that hasn't broken any laws just illustrates that these people have no principles, largely because they no longer know what they are... if indeed they ever did.

Their principles are whatever they are told they are.
Oh, and look! Now they ask you for money so they can continue to attempt to suppress a profitable completely 100% American organization that employs thousands of people on their own, and tens of thousands of people on their shoulders. 

****ing pathetic. Dangerous, stupid sheep.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Pence Political Stunt at NFL Game Cost Taxpayers Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars

It seems like we’ll never know exactly how much it cost taxpayers to have Vice President Mike Pence abruptly leave a football game Sunday between the Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers. But conservative estimates say it was at least $200,000—and that’s for the air travel alone. CNN did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and figured the flight from Las Vegas (where Pence attended a memorial service for the victims of the mass shooting) to Indianapolis and then to Los Angeles for a previously scheduled political event cost at least $242,500.

Calculating flight cost alone though is incredibly simplistic and the real cost of the stunt was actually much higher. For one, the vice president travels with a huge staff and they all receive room and board, plus associated expenses like rental cars when they accompany the president. And that’s without counting the increased expenses to boost security at the stadium because of the vice president’s presence nor the additional expenses to have Pence and his team travel back and forth to the stadium.

• Like 1

He'll be dead soon anyway. I'll just let him be. Brain is probably mush literally before you even get to figurative.

As some of you know, I've moved to Damascus, which is as "that part of town" a place as I've been since my early SoMD days in Waldorf, pre white flight.

Been hearing a lot of.... interesting **** just within earshot, and one right in front of me. All 75+ white people.

Last one was Saturday at Safeway, walking in the produce section, and there was an old white lady (probably mid 80s), talking about the protests, and I know thats what it was about because the part i caught was "You can't blame those players, they just weren't raised right. They don't know anything about respecting our freedoms. They just don't know any better."

And the guy she was talking about changed the subject as i got closer. I just smiled though

That generation is dying off

23 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That generation is dying off

And being replaced by internet Nazi's who are finally getting the balls to say what they have been saying for years on message boards in public when they are gathered in large groups. 

• Like 3