Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

38 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

four games or seven games--just win, and hopefully stay healthy.

No.  This series should not go past 5 games.  Granted, I've followed the Caps for 30 years and I know anything can happen, and I thought they would steamroll the Habs in 2010 and the Bolts in 2011, but this is even more of a mismatch in favor of the Caps than those series were.  There is no reason why they shouldn't get out of this series with plenty of rest and confidence before their likely 2nd round matchup with the Pens. 

Something else I'd like to see but as long as they win I guess doesn't matter. This team needs to score goals this post season. Holtby is the best goalie in Playoff History with a .937 save percentage and some other ridiculously low gaa but hasn't ever been beyond the 2nd round. We lose 1-0, 2-1 etc etc. this team needs to take advantage of this first round matchup and find the back of the net and put this thing away in no more than 5 games. Yeah yeah the team can take it one game at a time but us as fans can look big picture, they need to get the train rolling early this year and keep it going. They started to last year and then had the door slammed on them by Neurith. There as still ways to score even if running into the hot goalie. This isn't singling out Toronto either. They needed to take advantage of whomever they drew first round, there is a reason they finished best team in the league and their opponent is the #8 seed. If they can get this thing going, scoring goals winning games handily in route to a 5 game series, they will be ready to put the hurt on the Penguins which is so long overdue it's beyond the feelings of disappointment and rage.

A win is a win, but this team needs confidence that they can finally get over the hump and I don't think 1-0, 2-1 score wins barely scraping by the #8 is going to do it. Other teams have no problem winning their series easily. Those first two games at Verizon center should hopefully be statement games instead of giving Toronto hope that they can hang in there. I guess a good thing is that Toronto is horrible in games decided by 1 goal and lost almost all of them during the regular season but this team winning 55+ games back to back seasons has only been done by Habs in the 70s. This Capitals team is one of the better teams to ever take the ice and they finished the season strong, they need to remember that and play like it.

15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Well, I can already tell who's gonna be in here freaking out if we split at home, or lose the first game, or lose the first game in Toronto...

We need to be able to score 5 on 5.  That is all. Score goals at even strength please.

While I just posted what I think and splitting at home would be disaster in my mind, all they need to do is win the series at the end of the day. So I won't be in here dooming and glooming UNLESS they get spanked and go down 2-0. We were the best 5v5 scoring team this year I think weren't we? You are def right, they need to score 5v5 at a better rate than playoffs past.

Anyone filling out the NHL bracket challenge? I actually crushed the NCAA brackets this year finishing 19k 99.9% which was good enough to be entered into the prize drawings. Haven't heard anything though so hopefully they just haven't drawn rather than I lost because that's a once in a lifetime finish most likely. Was my 12th bracket out of 15 so it was def major luck. I was pretty much perfect other than the top left bracket where I had Villanova, Duke and UVA all going deep and they all went out 2nd round. No one other than the very top had South Carolina to the final 4 though.

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/

I LOVE the sport, but it's troubling to me that there is only one 100-point scorer this season.  I don't think the league needs to mess w/ the nets or goalie equipment, but maybe do something to free up players in the neutral zone, etc.? 

Basketball has become all about pace and space.  To me, we're seeing the NBA's best product and it's HIGHLY entertaining.  I'm just trying to think what hockey can do to open things up a bit.  We don't need to go back to the era of Bernie Nichols scoring 160 points, or whatever it was...but just do something...anything...to get more scoring chances for the players. 

I will be losing my mind on Saturday night.  Was hoping for the late afternoon start, but 7:00 it is.  Might head down early and do lunch/walk on the mall for a bit.  Taking a 6 year old cuts down on the pre-gaming a bit, but I can still get a few in!

24 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I LOVE the sport, but it's troubling to me that there is only one 100-point scorer this season.  I don't think the league needs to mess w/ the nets or goalie equipment, but maybe do something to free up players in the neutral zone, etc.? 

Basketball has become all about pace and space.  To me, we're seeing the NBA's best product and it's HIGHLY entertaining.  I'm just trying to think what hockey can do to open things up a bit.  We don't need to go back to the era of Bernie Nichols scoring 160 points, or whatever it was...but just do something...anything...to get more scoring chances for the players. 

i see your point, but definitely disagree. the lack of defense in the NBA is what makes it unwatchable these days (aside from the worst refereeing in all of sports). Defenders just moving out of the way to let scorers through. its embarrassing to watch

2 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

While I just posted what I think and splitting at home would be disaster in my mind, all they need to do is win the series at the end of the day. So I won't be in here dooming and glooming UNLESS they get spanked and go down 2-0. We were the best 5v5 scoring team this year I think weren't we? You are def right, they need to score 5v5 at a better rate than playoffs past.

Anyone filling out the NHL bracket challenge? I actually crushed the NCAA brackets this year finishing 19k 99.9% which was good enough to be entered into the prize drawings. Haven't heard anything though so hopefully they just haven't drawn rather than I lost because that's a once in a lifetime finish most likely. Was my 12th bracket out of 15 so it was def major luck. I was pretty much perfect other than the top left bracket where I had Villanova, Duke and UVA all going deep and they all went out 2nd round. No one other than the very top had South Carolina to the final 4 though.

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/

Bracket challenge?  Hell no, then they win.  I hate this playoff format; no way I'll validate it by doing a bracket.

2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

i see your point, but definitely disagree. the lack of defense in the NBA is what makes it unwatchable these days (aside from the worst refereeing in all of sports). Defenders just moving out of the way to let scorers through. its embarrassing to watch

That's the regular season, normally they buckle down for the playoffs. The Wizards def mailed it in on defense giving up what seemed like 100 points every single game the last month or so but I'm really looking forward to their playoffs too. I think TNTs coverage of the playoffs is my favorite post season coverage. That panel is just an all time classic, hilarious especially the gone fishing pictures.

Damn, the playoffs haven't even started and there is a lot of doom and gloom already. Any chance we can hold off on all the freaking out and blasting the team until they are actually out of the playoffs if they don't win it all?

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think they should just switch to the Olympic/international size rinks. That would allow for more spacing without messing with the goal sizes or goalie pads right away. However I do think there will come a time when, given the size of these goalies and their padding, that the goal gets a couple inches bigger. 

Young teams make up for their lack of experience with energy.  And in the first round, they're just go HAM because they don't expect to go farther.  We gotta bring our A-game and close.  None of this 2016 Flyers, up 3-0 win 4-2 nonsense.  In 5 or better.

Archived