Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

Caps have generally owned the Boston Bruins since 2012. I am not scared of them at all.

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This has to be the year right?

Thanks to playoff format Columbus or Pittsburgh has a solid chance of eliminating the caps. The series against them could go either way. 

I wouldn't crown their ass just yet. 

Can we please get a thousand likes for GMBM. Comes in here and immediately shores up the defense, fleeces STL for Oshie, locks up Holby, gets Trotz and puts the finishing touches on a lineup that has now won the President's Trophy two times in a row. Just casually doing it the right way and finally giving us the 'win now' move this city has needed forever unlike that coward GMGM.

Please, for the love of GOD get this city a damn championship. We need a CHAMPIONSHIP PARADE.

21 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Can we please get a thousand likes for GMBM. Comes in here and immediately shores up the defense, fleeces STL for Oshie, locks up Holby, gets Trotz and puts the finishing touches on a lineup that has now won the President's Trophy two times in a row. Just casually doing it the right way and finally giving us the 'win now' move this city has needed forever unlike that coward GMGM.

Please, for the love of GOD get this city a damn championship. We need a CHAMPIONSHIP PARADE.

Only if we win a championship, otherwise it doesn't mean anything. No one remembers who wins the President's Trophy. 

GMGM, while flawed, has his finger prints all over this team. Let's move on from bashing him and be thankful he drafted Kuzy, Bura and some goalie named Holtby. We don't need to celebrate him but it's not like he made all these awful moves. He helped build the foundation of a team that has a chance to win it all. 

I will say the best move GMBM didn't isn't Oshie or Trotz, it was making Holtby the number 1 goalie by signing a guy that was purely a back up.

At this point, as it's been in a few different years over the past, it's on the players to get past the second round. 

GMGM should be remembered for his **** trade deadline moves.  Of course he did net us Federov, did net us Huet.  But he also had some really crappy moves too.

He was a decent draft mind.  Pretty much all of his first round picks worked out, which isn't as easy as it seems.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

GMGM should be remembered for his **** trade deadline moves.  Of course he did net us Federov, did net us Huet.  But he also had some really crappy moves too.

He was a decent draft mind.  Pretty much all of his first round picks worked out, which isn't as easy as it seems.

The only real loser of a move was Forsberg, and that's what happens when a GM knows his job is on the line.  In order to be in position for that move, though, he orchestrated the trade of Varlamov for a high first and second.

I didn't mean to turn this into a referendum on GMGM – he actually did a great job here and built a President's Trophy team of his own. Aside from the Forsberg trade, which was SOLELY to save his own job (unacceptable) my only quip was that he never had the guts to finally make a real win now move. Always brought on nobodies at the deadline instead impact players save for 2008 but we weren't real contenders then yet.

He also never addressed the defense period, but he did draft well for sure. Very well.

The Shattenkirk deal looks better and better...especially w/ the news of Letang being out for 4-6 months for Pittsburgh.  Remember, the Penguins were in the hunt. 

Anyways, good to wrap up the President's trophy.  Hope Trotz starts resting guys until the playoffs start.  Don't want to see Ovechkin, Kuz, Shattenkirk, Backstrom, Johansson, and Oshie on the ice until next week. 

What can be said, the Caps have looked great and are going into the playoffs strong. This has to be the year, there really are no excuses this time. Hell, the Caps top 6 are all at 20 goals except Kuzy at 19 I believe. I'm feeling really confident for the first time in forever. The Caps are the best team in the league, have strong depth and are playing well. I just hope they can make the proper adjustments when needed. It's all going to come down to round 2 again, we make it through I think we will win it all.

9 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

The Shattenkirk deal looks better and better...especially w/ the news of Letang being out for 4-6 months for Pittsburgh.  Remember, the Penguins were in the hunt. 

Anyways, good to wrap up the President's trophy.  Hope Trotz starts resting guys until the playoffs start.  Don't want to see Ovechkin, Kuz, Shattenkirk, Backstrom, Johansson, and Oshie on the ice until next week. 

I don't, this team struggles unbelievably when they have extended time off. Hell, I hope we open the first round on Wednesday so we only have Monday Tuesday off. The team is playing great let's keep the peddle to the metal.

I'm not as big a McPhee hater as others. He built up a lot of this current team. He made some big mistakes at the end of his tenure though, I agree with firing him, but if we do win a Cup with this team, he should get some credit. I think he'll do a good job with the expansion franchise.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not as big a McPhee hater as others. He built up a lot of this current team. He made some big mistakes at the end of his tenure though, I agree with firing him, but if we do win a Cup with this team, he should get some credit. I think he'll do a good job with the expansion franchise.

And he sucked at picking coaches so it all cancelled out.  Also, incredibly lucky to win the Ovechkin sweepstakes.  

Imagine how ridiculous this team would be if McPhee hadn't traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.   I know everyone especially in D.C. is going to be leery of an owner interfering in personnel moves, but Ted should have vetoed that trade. 

10 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

What can be said, the Caps have looked great and are going into the playoffs strong. This has to be the year, there really are no excuses this time. Hell, the Caps top 6 are all at 20 goals except Kuzy at 19 I believe. I'm feeling really confident for the first time in forever. The Caps are the best team in the league, have strong depth and are playing well. I just hope they can make the proper adjustments when needed. It's all going to come down to round 2 again, we make it through I think we will win it all.

I don't, this team struggles unbelievably when they have extended time off. Hell, I hope we open the first round on Wednesday so we only have Monday Tuesday off. The team is playing great let's keep the peddle to the metal.

This team knows what's at stake.  Playing them now does nothing.  They struggle when they get extended time off in the regular season.  Presidents trophy and the 1 seed is locked up.  Give them rest and have the guys as close to 100% as possible for next week. 

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

And he sucked at picking coaches so it all cancelled out.  Also, incredibly lucky to win the Ovechkin sweepstakes.  

Imagine how ridiculous this team would be if McPhee hadn't traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.   I know everyone especially in D.C. is going to be leery of an owner interfering in personnel moves, but Ted should have vetoed that trade. 

Not really sure how he sucked at picking coaches. He didn't always get it right but hiring BB was a big turning point in the franchise. Oates was a bust but that happens. It's not like Oates was someone without a coaching pedigree, just didn't work. 

I'm not sure there is a GM out there that didn't luck into some superstar that didn't make their team awesome. 

Archived