Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that we're playing meaningful games late in the season will be good for us. Last season we coasted late and it hurt us going in. Honestly if Neuvy starts the entire Flyer series we might have been bounced round 1.

just a tad bit of hyperbole there. Neuvy has never been good enough to steal anything. They are lucky they weren't swept. 

Also,

#freenate

...ugh

there is no earthly reason why this team shouldn't at the very very least make the SCF. None. No excuses 

They are dominant at every relevant metric in terms of playoff success. 

5v5 possession numbers? Top 5 (top 3 among playoff teams)

Excellent ST

Elite goaltending 

3 scoring lines

Center depth 

Defensive depth (their 7th D is better than half the guys above him)

HEALTH. *pounds on wood*

The only team with comparable talent is PIT and half their team is on the brink of death. 

No ****ing excuses 

I say all of this to say that I'll probably die if/when they lose 2nd round again. 

They literally would be cursed 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

...ugh

there is no earthly reason why this team shouldn't at the very very least make the SCF. None. No excuses 

They are dominant at every relevant metric in terms of playoff success.

Unfortuantely Hockey is the one sport where literally none of that matters in the playoffs. One bad bounce of the puck, one or two hot opposing Goalie games, and you're on the brink of elimination.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Unfortuantely Hockey is the one sport where literally none of that matters in the playoffs. One bad bounce of the puck, one or two hot opposing Goalie games, and you're on the brink of elimination.

Right 

but even in hockey, those are rare. Especially in the last 10 years. Teams with these type of numbers and depth go deep and win. 

Hot goalies dragging a poor team over a better one are basically a myth nowadays. Caps have gotten beaten by one in the Ovechkin era basically once. That was MTL (and I guess Holtby did the same to the bruins in 2012). Every other loss was too an equal or better team with the exception really being TB in 2011. But then again, the Caps really have been average possession wise until this season so their underlying numbers made sense with their on ice results for the most part. I think NYR had worse 5v5 numbers in those seasons they beat us but their GF% numbers were significantly better. 

Caps have no excuses this time tho. 

Archived