Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

why are ppl upset about Sanford? Dude's ceiling is 3rd liner lol 

Yeah, his ceiling isn't so high that it's worth getting up in arms about it.  I think people are still salty about you-know-who, so any forward gets people concerned.

But glad we kept Vrana and Bowey.  We will need young guys, both for when all our guys want 11ty bajillion dollars as FAs and we have to let some go, but also once old age gets to some people.

Obviously hindsight will be 20/20 but how is this not a great trade?

Sanford is nothing much and Caps have a 2 or 3 other really good prospects in Hershey so they can go a year without a first round pick.  Caps are all in which is awesome. 

I was so surprised to see this deal earlier tonight. Shattenkirk will be a FA, but this is a big win now move, and the price was not  terribly high, which surprised me. I like Sanford, but like others have said, I don't think he has a terribly high ceiling, and we have other quality prospects waiting in the wings. I wish him well in St. Louis, but on the surface, this trade is a win for the good guys. 

Oh ****, I just now read that the Caps traded for Shattenkirk.  I mean, I knew the rumors were out there, wow, pulled that trigger.  An already loaded defense just stacked some more.  Considering we ran into serious trouble last year after losing Alzner in the playoffs, this move helps us up top and gives us depth on D to handle losing someone.  It's a win-now move, though, so we'd better, you know, win now.

edit: I see Copely was also returned to us in the trade, so that should solve the goaltending depth problem we were to presumably face with Grubauer likely being drafted by Vegas.

When the trade broke last night I was certain that something else was included that wasn't being reported (Vrana, another 1st rounder, whatever).  When you consider how late the two picks are going to be, and Sanford's average upside, I think the Caps gave up very little relative to Shattenkirk's potential impact over the next 4 months.  They definitely gave up less than the going price for other top-end d-men in previous deadline deals (Bouwmeester, Yandle. Jack Johnson).

I don't see any downside to this deal.

1 minute ago, DogofWar1 said:

On the whole I like the trade.  Only piece that kinda hurts is the first round pick, but if we view it as trading a first round pick for a high chance of a Cup, I'm fine with that.  I'll trade a late 1st for a Cup every season.

Meh...it's no biggie considering it would be a late 1st round pick and how Ovechkin/Backstrom/etc. aren't getting any younger.  By the time that pick is possibly ready to contribute, think of how small the window would be for this team to compete for a cup due to having aging superstars on the roster. 

Even if this turns out to be a rental, the Blues' haul isn't great.  Just browse the St. Louis page on HF Boards and you'll see the vitriol directed towards their GM for this deal.  If giving grades, it's an A-/B+ for the Caps, and probably a C-/D+ for the Blues. 

St Louis is retaining 39% of his remaining salary.  

Copley is back to be the #3 tender, so when Grubi gets drafted by the Golden Knights heis an NHL-ready-ish.  Vrana back for 65 until he is 100%. 

Orpik might be out for longer than expected. He couldn't practice fully yesterday, wonder if he re-aggravated last years injury (as much as you can a broken femur)?  I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from the Philly game, but he missed back to back games, and likely misses tonight.

There is nothing about this trade that isn't a win for the Caps. The conditions tied to the conditions pick are CRAZY...

In thinking about it, with all the Caps' that have UFA status and with the impending expansion draft, maybe it's not a foregone conclusion that Shattenkirk won't be here past this season. 

Two big names...Oshie and Alzner come to mind.  I think we may be priced out of the Oshie sweepstakes, and I wouldn't be surprised if GMGM nabs Alzner for the Vegas franchise. 

Might open the door to retain Shattenkirk while easing in a young guy like Bowey in the top-6 next season. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

In thinking about it, with all the Caps' that have UFA status and with the impending expansion draft, maybe it's not a foregone conclusion that Shattenkirk will be here past this season. 

Two big names...Oshie and Alzner come to mind.  I think we may be priced out of the Oshie sweepstakes, and I wouldn't be surprised if GMGM nabs Alzner for the Vegas franchise. 

Might open the door to retain Shattenkirk while easing in a young guy like Bowey in the top-6 next season. 

I would be STUNNED if GMGM didn't take Grubi. NHL ready tender.

Archived