Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

10 hours ago, btfoom said:

Got enough to worry about with the Caps.

"Worry"?  This team is stacked and hitting on all cylinders.  Their top level-talent, depth, and resiliency exceeds any other Caps team over the past 40 years - more than last year, more than 2010, and way more than the '98 Cup Finals overachiever team and those '80's teams that were always "one good goal scorer away" from making a run.

None of this means they'll win the Cup this year; the best team in hockey often doesn't.  But I'm loving every minute of this, and to those fair-weather half-assed fans out there who are still saying "wake me up when the playoffs start", you're missing one hell of a ride (not talking about anyone here)

7 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

"Worry"?  This team is stacked and hitting on all cylinders.  Their top level-talent, depth, and resiliency exceeds any other Caps team over the past 40 years - more than last year, more than 2010, and way more than the '98 Cup Finals overachiever team and those '80's teams that were always "one good goal scorer away" from making a run.

None of this means they'll win the Cup this year; the best team in hockey often doesn't.  But I'm loving every minute of this, and to those fair-weather half-assed fans out there who are still saying "wake me up when the playoffs start", you're missing one hell of a ride (not talking about anyone here)

Much more rhetorical than anything. 

I actually feel exactly the same way you do. Enjoy the ride and we'll see what happens in playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I will take consistent seasons like this and no cup vs losing seasons every year and one lucky cup run.

True but the Cup is the ultimate goal. If the Redskins had a SB contending team year after year and never got close you'd see lots of frustration. It would be like the Pats losing every super bowl despite always having winning seasons or well the Bills at the SB.

Barry Trotz said something interesting that isn't really getting any run. He said that the coaches just focus the guys on the gameplan and tweaks to their game every once in a while. The motivation, the competition, the resiliency, those are all coming from inside the room. No one from the coaching staff has to say anything to the team. The players will be the ones to get in each others ass when they take a period off. He said he hasn't had to say anything between periods all season, the room has taken care of that.

And the players have echoed that. In post game interviews, when asked what Trotz said between periods to get the Caps to respond multiple players have said he hasn't had to say anything. It's always something like, "He didn't have to say anything. We've got a good room with plenty of leadership, and they do a good job of making sure we are doing what we need to do."

I'm telling you, there's something different about this team.

On a side note, two Saturdays from now in Detroit should be fun:

For those with bad eyes like me:

"They're really skilled and when they can roll in transition or turnovers that they did today they're a good team. Columbus, the last game we played I thought was a tougher team to play against. They're a lot harder and they play different. Don't get me wrong, this is a really, really good team, but it's a different team than let's say Columbus."

Think that won't be on the cork board? And Zetterberg better have his head up when he's trying to dance through center ice because I have a feeling an 8 train and 43 would like to demonstrate that when needed, the Caps can play the rugged, physical game.  

That's what makes this team so special. Wanna play a finesse, speed game? OK, we got skaters and skill on every line. Wanna play the dump and chase, forecheck, rugged game? OK, we have a BIG lineup that can play that style and put 5 in the basket. Ask Columbus. Or Philly. Or Jersey. Or Boston.Wanna play a hybrid, looking to create odd man rushes from your defensemen? OK, we can gap up on you and frustrate you. Ask the Pens. Or the Rags. Or the Isles. This team can adapt to whatever style you want to play.

What's laughable about the Zetterberg quote is that the toughest teams in the league (the way he seems to be suggesting) don't win the Stanley Cup. Pens=highly skilled, Chicago=highly skilled, Kings=highly skilled. Sure, all teams are physical at times, but overall his statement is meaningless.

My guess is he thinks that because it certainly wasn't the Caps best game defensively. 

I remember last year watching at least 70 games with my wife.  The Caps won the vast majority of them.  That was great fun.

Yes, I am a long suffering Caps fan (since the first game - yes, I was there as a little kid).  I've learned to separate the regular season from the playoffs.  I understand those who see it as all or nothing as well.   

In the end, we all want the same thing - to see Ovie lift the cup and stuff it up Crosby's ............

The Stanley Cup Playoffs are literally the most random thing ever. The #1 seed has been beaten more than in any other sport. The Kings won it as an 8 seed. There have only been 7 #1 seed champs since 1994. Think about that. It's the championship that requires the most external breaks to work for you. The NBA doesn't have 8 seeds in the final! MLB is the next hardest. 

10 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

The Stanley Cup Playoffs are literally the most random thing ever. The #1 seed has been beaten more than in any other sport. The Kings won it as an 8 seed. There have only been 7 #1 seed champs since 1994. Think about that. It's the championship that requires the most external breaks to work for you. The NBA doesn't have 8 seeds in the final! MLB is the next hardest. 

You are so right with this post.

The best time the Caps had in the post-season was when they went to the finals they finished 3rd in their division (Atlantic at the time).  The higher seeds lost in the first round and the Caps had an open road as they were the highest seed left after the first round.

This is why as much as I crave a Cup win, I also understand that the playoffs are a completely different animal.

It's nice that we're good.  The whole inviting of Timothy up to the box, and letting the kid have like 10 minutes up there talking with the announcers, I feel like it's not something we could appreciate how adorable it is if we were down or not a good team.  When your team is struggling or fighting hard, most people watching are probably like "WHO CARES!  THE GAME!" but tonight, up 3-0 and in the lead for Pres cup atm, we can enjoy a little kid getting a few minutes to shine up in the box with JoeB and Locker.

Archived