Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

11 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I'd have to think that Grubauer will be the primary target for the Vegas team.  Not 100% certain, but I don't think the Caps can protect him in the expansion draft. 

I would be stunned if they didn't take him. I think the only chance the Caps have to get value for him is if he is traded immediately after the season to a team that will protect him and sign him as a RFA. 

It really sucks cause the Caps would probably get a solid pick back for him at this point. 

Prolly wore white cause it looks better for the Ovie photo/ceremony award.. Home team can choose.

Can only protect 1 goalie in expansion draft, so yea, Grubs is probably gone to expansion.

Great to see a physical game from LA.. Need to stay sharp on all aspects and they stepped up big!!

Great weekend with 2 tough games.

As far as Gruby, I would look into a trade with the Blues for Shattenkirk.  He would be a great #1 D-man for the playoffs and like most have said here, the Caps most likely can't keep Gruby.  Send  him and a pick to the Blues and make that great run at the Cup.

1 hour ago, btfoom said:

Great weekend with 2 tough games.

As far as Gruby, I would look into a trade with the Blues for Shattenkirk.  He would be a great #1 D-man for the playoffs and like most have said here, the Caps most likely can't keep Gruby.  Send  him and a pick to the Blues and make that great run at the Cup.

Blues already got Copley from us for Oshie.  Don't know if they're looking for another goalie.  Plus, if we don't lose Grubauer to Vegas, we'll lose someone else like Orlov.

I won't shed too many tears if we lose Gruby to the expansion draft.  Sure, it'll be sad to lose such an excellent backup, guy has really grown into a great goalie, but simultaneously, if you told me we could get past the expansion draft without losing any of our forwards, defensemen, or our top goalie, I'd be pretty happy.

We find reasonably decent goalies sufficiently often that Grubby can probably be replaced.  Maybe even immediately, if Vanecek or Samsonov are deemed ready to come up.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I'll state it again, I'm against bringing in a rental who appears to be an upgrade but will only disrupt the insane chemistry that this team has going right now.

Getting Shatti from the Blues is a massive up-grade for the defense.

It moves Carlson to the second pair, but stay on the #1 PP option. Win- Win.  Plus the fact we won't keep Gruby and we get a #1 D-Man, just what the doctor ordered.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think that either Murray or MAF gets taken from Pittsburgh.  MAF has a no trade clause, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

If MAF has a no trade clause, the Pens are required to protect him from expansion draft. Murray would be exposed. Means the Pens will trade MAF before the deadline for a ham sammich. 

13 minutes ago, btfoom said:

Getting Shatti from the Blues is a massive up-grade for the defense.

It moves Carlson to the second pair, but stay on the #1 PP option. Win- Win.  Plus the fact we won't keep Gruby and we get a #1 D-Man, just what the doctor ordered.

If you listen to what the Caps brass keep saying, it takes half a season to feel comfortable. That indicates to me that no major move is coming. 

Just now, Popeman38 said:

If you listen to what the Caps brass keep saying, it takes half a season to feel comfortable. That indicates to me that no major move is coming. 

Was watching the game today with my dad (he isn't a Carlson fan at all) and we both agreed that there is a good argument to not making any moves.

I just think that Gruby is gone in the Draft (best available Goalie with a very low contract), so better to get something for him rather than nothing from Vegas.

The whole "trade Grubauer so we get something for him" argument is ignoring that if Vegas doesn't take him, they'll take someone else.  Do you want to trade away Grubauer if it means we also lose Orlov or Schmidt or whomever is left exposed on our defense?  Vegas is gonna get someone from us, perhaps losing our backup goaltender is a better proposition than trading him away for futures and losing another player who contributes on a nightly basis.

Caps have 2 options for expansion draft:

1. 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, 1 goal tender

2. 8 skaters, 1 goal tender

All players with no movement clauses who choose not to waive the NMC must be protected.

8-19-77

90-92-14

65-20-10

43-83-26

27-74

9-2

88/4-44

70/31

Forwards:

8 - protected

19 - protected

92 - protected

77 (assuming re-signed) - protected

65 - protected

90 - protected

20? 83? - protected

Defensemen:

27 (assuming re-signed) - protected

74 - protected

2 - protected

9,4,44,88 unprotected

Goal Tender:

70 - protected

31 unprotected

Now, the Las Vegas Golden Knights (horrendously long name) can only take one player from each team.  From the Caps POV, Grubi is who you are hoping they take. We have a young tender who is playing well in the KHL and intl tourneys in Samsonov. Also, all of the AHL guys are off limits as long as they haven't played the following NHL games: 40+ in the season prior or 70+ in the 2 years prior combined. So Vrana and Galiev will, in theory, be off limits.

Now to the games. The Caps could theoretically talk to the agents for Alzner and Oshie and tell them they will resign them after the expansion draft. In that case, the Caps can protect 2 additional players (this applies to all of the UFA).

This is going to be an entertaining offseason...

So, CSN just posted a statistic:  In the Caps last 8 home games, they are 8-0, Five Shutouts, and outscored the opposition 42 - 6.  That is ridiculous.

They just added that the Caps have scored 5 or more goals at home in 9 straight games, the first team in the league since Calgary did it...... in 1990.

Holtby 7 shutouts, Gruby 3 shutouts.

Simply amazing.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, Popeman38 said:

Now to the games. The Caps could theoretically talk to the agents for Alzner and Oshie and tell them they will resign them after the expansion draft. In that case, the Caps can protect 2 additional players (this applies to all of the UFA).

There is no reason for the Caps to sign UFAs before the expansion. I imagine this will be the case with nearly all NHL teams. That makes it fairly easy for the Caps to cover everyone needed: 8, 19, 92, 90, 83, 43, 65--------2, 74, 9----70.

I would hope that the Caps are already in talks with teams that won't make the playoffs about trading Grubauers rights the moment the season ends (after winning the stanley cup) for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft or for 2018.  

19 minutes ago, btfoom said:

So, CSN just posted a statistic:  In the Caps last 8 home games, they are 8-0, Five Shutouts, and outscored the opposition 42 - 6.  That is ridiculous.

They just added that the Caps have scored 5 or more goals at home in 9 straight games, the first team in the league since Calgary did it...... in 1990.

Holtby 7 shutouts, Gruby 3 shutouts.

Simply amazing.

Too bad the Caps don't have elite goalies. (I can't remember who used to claim that, I know it wasn't you.)

The Caps overpassed one time tonight that stuck out, and I think it highlights where the team has fixed at least on major problem.  Last year, overpassing was constant, we would pass up shots routinely for a chance at a slightly better look and it rarely worked out.

The flip side is just shooting as soon as we enter the zone for easy stops for the goalie.

We've seemingly found that perfect middle ground.  1 or 2 passes then take the shot.  We've clearly practiced our timing plays to death.

Archived