Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

8 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

With his first NHL goal, Zach Sanford notched the goal that let the Capitals tie the record for most consecutive 5-goal home games.

So happy for him to come in and help keep the streak alive.

Great to see the Caps have a little adversary and come back strong after the game tying goal.  They just turned it back on and put the Ducks down where the belong.

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Missed the game. Were the Ducks goals good goals? In other words, any soft goals given up?

Not really soft. One lucky snipe and some defensive breaks.. Caps took their foot off the gas after the 1st, surrendered a 4-1 lead in the 3rd then got back to playing the last half of the 3rd.. I just want to know why the refs saved Perry from getting his ass kicked by Winnik? Refs were determined to not let them fight..

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Missed the game. Were the Ducks goals good goals? In other words, any soft goals given up?

Not at all.

The one goal was a goalie night-mare.  Puck was rolling a bit when the shot got off and it was that perfect (from a shooter POV) knuckle that went in just under the pipe.  You could almost stand in front and not save it.

Hope you missed the game b/c you were playing. How's that going?  I heard rumors that the Caps may be scouting you after your great performance last week.  Any truth to that rumor????:headbang:

The Washington Capitals added some depth on defense, acquiring veteran Tom Gilbert from the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday.

Washington gave the Kings a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft in order to pick up Gilbert’s services. Los Angeles will retain 20 percent of Gilbert’s salary worth $1.12 million for this season. Gilbert had played 18 games, scoring one goal and adding four assists for the Kings while averaging 15:27 of ice-time per-contest.

Gilbert had been with the team’s AHL affiliate, the Ontario Reign, since Feb. 2 where he played five games and notched one assist. Los Angeles signed Gilbert to a one-year contract in the offseason. After the trade, the Capitals announced they had assigned Gilbert to the AHL’s Hershey Bears.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/capitals-acquire-tom-gilbert-from-la-kings-for-draft-pick-183259838.html

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Boo. This is just like the Gleason and Weber move. It isn't going to help, unless we have plans to move a defenseman at the deadline...

I'll admit, I was not thrilled about it at first. But its just a depth move, and Gilbert is not going to be expected to contribute like Gleason and Weber. Well hopefully. :) 

Plus Gilbert isn't going to be eating anyone's minutes.  Maybe he'll fight it out w/ Chorney for that 7D spot, but I can't see that happening.  IF this team was to have 2 long term injuries on the defensive end, I'd feel much better about having someone like Gilbert, who has a lot of experience, in the AHL ready for a call-up if need be. 

You tell me...if it came down to it, would you rather throw someone like Madison Bowey in the fire or let Gilbert do his thing?  Insurance policy...nothing more, nothing less. 

Calculated/smart move by GMBM

3 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Stupid "bye week" implemented this year..

Doesn't really make sense. Isn't the All-Star break essentially a bye week already?

I just hope this doesn't screw up our rhythm. I remember the blizzard last year and how mediocre we looked after it and it carried over into the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Doesn't really make sense. Isn't the All-Star break essentially a bye week already?

I just hope this doesn't screw up our rhythm. I remember the blizzard last year and how mediocre we looked after it and it carried over into the playoffs.

Not too worried with this team.  If anything, I think it came at a great time to let the fellas get their batteries re-charged.  Expect a sloppy game back, but will be fine after a game or 2.

It just sucks going so long w/o a Caps game.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Good to get a point. Had plenty of opportunities but their goalie was on point. Most team lose out of the break.

I had always chalked this game up to a loss (and even tomorrow).

Why would any decent league give a team 5 days off and then come back with two games that start less than 24 hours away, both on the road?? I thought the break was supposed to help each team rest and avoid injury.  This part of the schedule is just stupid.

Today's game just shows how much this team cares about winning and their team. The kept it up for 60+ minutes, away after a long lay-off (where most teams came back from that with a straight loss).  Don't care about losing in the shoot-out, won't be there in the playoffs.

Said it many times - and so have lots of others - this is just a different team.  Don't watch or get involved, well, you are missing out.

BTW, Hersh, how is your men's team doing?  Do you have more shutouts than Holtby?????

Archived