Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

The Devils, Flyers and Stars all used the 1-4 neutral zone trap to try to slow us down. The Stars got a HUGE gift from replay, and that is the difference.  Orlov and Backstrom committed bad turnovers, and they both ended up in the back of the net. The Caps DOMINATED the 2nd and 3rd period. 44 shots!  The Flyers are the Flyers. The Devils are the master of the trap, have been forever, and are THE worst team to watch in sports. BORING. 

There is no reason to think about panicking. Best tender in the game. stingiest defense in the game, and a DEEP forward lineup.

The only thing I'm really worried about is Ovechkin. He hasn't scored a goal in a month I heard. Are we seeing the start of his decline? He's too good of a player to not win a Cup, hopefully he's got enough in him to beast out for 2 months this playoffs, win a Cup, and cement himself as the D.C. GOAT(even though I think he already is).

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

If I remember correctly, last year, the metrics didn't favor the Caps as the season started to wind down.  There were some warning signs.  Not sure if this is the case now, but games like last night, where the team looks disinterested/flat, surely doesn't give me a good feeling.  I know they have pressure to win the cup this year, so if there is ever a time for the team to refocus, it's now. 

IIRC last year the caps weren't so good 5v5 scoring which they are tops in the league this year. I too said I have small alarm bells going off in the back of my mind at the start of the Dallas game last night but there is plenty of time to get back on track. It just really sucks we had the bye week scheduled right in the middle of one of the best stretches of hockey any team has had in recent memory. I also think it's not all on the caps, teams are now in that desperation mode to make the playoffs so I wasn't expecting to continue scoring 5+ goals at home down the stretch.

With that said, it's plainly obvious to everyone that has watched the team play all season they are not playing as well as they were before the bye. They are back to making too many extra passes at times instead of just getting shots on net and crashing the middle. I'm not sure how much I like #2 and #74 on the same powerplay unit either. It's not time to panic yet, but the warning signs are beginning to show. Let's hope they get back to where they were before the break sooner than later. I hope this bye experiment was a one and done. Only a handful of teams have won their first game back from the bye and what's the point of getting a week off just to have to play back to back afternoon games when the bye is over. Just seems like a poorly executed idea by the league in a season that already was slightly condensed. 

3 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Unfortunately, nope. Built a house too far out to justify the time and money commitment for 41+ games.  So I go to 1 or 2 reg season games and 1 or 2 post season games.

Hmm well I think I'd rather have the newly built house over season tickets personally. Congrats on the house :). You at least got to see some awesome regular season hockey for a good number of years.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The only thing I'm really worried about is Ovechkin. He hasn't scored a goal in a month I heard. Are we seeing the start of his decline? He's too good of a player to not win a Cup, hopefully he's got enough in him to beast out for 2 months this playoffs, win a Cup, and cement himself as the D.C. GOAT(even though I think he already is).

He certainly looks disinterested or seems like he is playing through injury. I've never seen him whiff on so many shots. He also looks a half step slower the last month. The good news is we are winning without him. Hopefully he is just making sure he is ready to go for the playoffs because I can't see the Capitals having a better shot to raise the cup than this year so I'd rather see him struggling now than in a month. One good thing about Ovie, he is making some great passes out there that will pay off huge when he gets back to his normal self. It will give him a little more space in the playoffs if defenders have to hesitate a half second wondering if he is going to pass and not just playing his shot. He has been looking to pass the puck more this year than I can ever remember him doing during previous seasons.

I think Ovechkin is fine, he's clearly saving up for the playoffs and we are dominating without his 50-goal production for the first time ever.

Hockey isn't like basketball - guys can be productive well into their 30s. St. Louis won the Art Ross at 37 and Joe Sakic won a Hart Trophy at 35. With his shot, he should floor out at 30 goals for years to come even once the wheels come off.

14 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I think Ovechkin is fine, he's clearly saving up for the playoffs and we are dominating without his 50-goal production for the first time ever.

Hockey isn't like basketball - guys can be productive well into their 30s. St. Louis won the Art Ross at 37 and Joe Sakic won a Hart Trophy at 35. With his shot, he should floor out at 30 goals for years to come even once the wheels come off.

I can't speak for other posters but I wasn't trying to say that Ovie is starting to decline, I was just saying he is in the middle of a not so great stretch compared to the level he is normally at for reasons unknown. Hopefully he is just making sure the gas tank is full for the playoffs and he is focusing on the other parts of his game right now like passing. His passing and assists have been as good or better than any other point in his career. There have been so many times where he would just skate into the zone and fire off a shot with two guys on him not even looking to pass. This year however has been different and he has more consistently made some beautiful cross ice passes to wide open players because the defense collapses around him expecting him to fire off that deadly shot.

That style of play from him is really going to benefit the team come playoffs because in seasons past that really wasn't something defenders had to worry about all that much. It's def something he has improved upon this year. He still needs to take his fair share of shots (I think he went 3 games in February without registering a shot on goal which is just unheard of for Ovie), but the passing and assists have been great. 

9 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Doom and gloom comes from watching the games down the stretch.. It's similar to last year where they continued to win, even when playing poorly. I don't know where the crisp passing and winning board battles has gone, but they need to get it back here soon.  As was stated last year, there is no magic switch to be flipped when the playoffs start. I just hope this is (still) bye week hangover and adding Vrana and Shattenkirk to the lineup..

BTW, when Burt comes back, Vrana and Paul Carey (who) are the forward "depth", (let that sink in) the other guys are the starters.

what do you mean depth??

Guys that are healthy scratches?? What team has good players as scratches? Forward depth in hockey is your 3rd and 4th line and right now, they have one of the best bottom sixes in the league. In fact, our 3rd line is playing better than the vaunted HBK line the Pens murdered us with last season.

Look at the Pens' scratches. Not to mention they have about 3-4 defensemen that are even healthy enough to play right now

The Rangers.

Bruins.

Anyways, The underlying numbers are generally the same as pre break. In fact, Pens were no.1 in CF last year. Right now, the Caps are better than they are in that metric.

As far as last year goes, they got beat by the only team better than them last year. Tough to admit but it's the true and the signs were always there. 

Until they are getting beat every night and getting roundly outshot, there is no reason to worry.

There will be plenty of time to freak out in May lol

9 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Forward depth in hockey is your 3rd and 4th line and right now, they have one of the best bottom sixes in the league.

Look at the Pens' scratches.

The Rangers.

Bruins.

Sorry, but I've just never heard of "depth" referred to as the quality of your starters. Look at it this way, would you consider us deep in goal, if we didn't have Gruby as the backup? Chorney is our depth on D. (And he's good/experienced depth) Vrana/Carey are liabilities if they're needed in the post season. Doubly so if they're needed to fill a shutdown role. Something we should of addressed before the deadline, imo. (But it is hockey, so a fingers crossed approach is probably best, regardless of situation) :P

Of the teams you mention, I'd fear the Canadians more. Columbus, even Fl if they get in..

By starters, you mean the four lines? 

Yes, that is forward depth. In the past, Caps fans have pined for depth in the 3rd and 4th lines.

the Pens won it all with their depth, specifically their 3rd line. Crosby and Malkin weren't really scoring in our series. Hagelin, Kessel, and Bonino provided depth.

Ive never heard anyone judge depth on your extra guys because no team has good players sitting in the press box. That is unrealistic lol. Every team's extra players are AHL cast offs that will only play on the 4th line in the event of injury. 

Also, Vrana is a pretty damn good guy to have. Like I said, he's an excellent possession player

4 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Sorry, but I've just never heard of "depth" referred to as the quality of your starters. Look at it this way, would you consider us deep in goal, if we didn't have Gruby as the backup? Chorney is our depth on D. (And he's good/experienced depth) Vrana/Carey are liabilities if they're needed in the post season. Doubly so if they're needed to fill a shutdown role. Something we should of addressed before the deadline, imo. (But it is hockey, so a fingers crossed approach is probably best, regardless of situation) :P

Of the teams you mention, I'd fear the Canadians more. Columbus, even Fl if they get in..

Depth in hockey is all about the players that aren't on the 1st or even 2nd lines. Think about it like this, if the first line and the top D pair are the "starters" then all the other lines cycle in as the depth. This is particularly true when people talk about how deep the team is when it comes to scoring goals. Don't think about it as a Redskins depth chart. 

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ive never heard anyone judge depth on your extra guys because no team has good players sitting in the press box. That is unrealistic lol. Every team's extra players are AHL cast offs that will only play on the 4th line in the event of injury.

It is unrealistic, until the trade deadline, where teams looking to make a run find "experienced" players to either take a spot on their roster, relegating someone who was already a starter to the bench, or they are the healthy scratch themselves.. But they are NHL "ready" players. They are rarely around longer than that half season..

BTW, I like Vrana too! He's just inexperienced..

1 hour ago, GoDeep81 said:

It is unrealistic, until the trade deadline, where teams looking to make a run find "experienced" players to either take a spot on their roster, relegating someone who was already a starter to the bench, or they are the healthy scratch themselves.. But they are NHL "ready" players. They are rarely around longer than that half season..

BTW, I like Vrana too! He's just inexperienced..

Didn't the Caps do exactly that on defense? 

1 hour ago, GoDeep81 said:

So were DEEP! Until someone gets injured.. Got it! lol

Any team that suffers multiple injuries will have to rely on youth. I haven't been in here a ton so maybe you are making positive comments when the Caps are playing great, but otherwise you sure are constantly a doom and gloom guy the moment something is perceived to be wrong. 

43+ year cheer leader here! lol I drink the koolaid when Im thirsty, but also call it as I see it. Since the bye week, they've looked just like they did last year around this time. Winning (mostly) while playing poorly..

They did good great adding "depth" on defense! Chorney is a bonified starter, 100+ NHL games under his belt and there if needed.. Unfortunately they gave away their forward depth, with Sanford, who was really their only 2 way power forward "prospect" they had.. Would of liked to seen a veteran (shutdown type) forward acquired at the deadline. Im not really high on the skills/speedy types, we seem to have plenty of those..

So a team that is a little banged up and still winning is a problem? Sanford will not be missed by the Caps. This is the deepest, best balanced team the Caps have had in years. Doesn't mean they will get past the second round but it kinda amazes me that people want more than what is on the ice now. 

As usually happens in these discussions, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.. We're 5-4 since the bye and a lucky slapshot from the blue line from being 4-5. The were beat to every puck and lost every board battle for the 1st 30 minutes of their last game vs Dallas. So yea, I want more than what's being put on the ice "now". 

They'll not miss Sanford, unless they have a forward injury in the post season.

19 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

As usually happens in these discussions, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.. We're 5-4 since the bye and a lucky slapshot from the blue line from being 4-5. The were beat to every puck and lost every board battle for the 1st 30 minutes of their last game vs Dallas. So yea, I want more than what's being put on the ice "now". 

You can't pull this bull****. Vrana is a rookie and "can't be trusted" in the playoffs, but Sanford (who is ALSO a rookie) all of a sudden can be trusted in the playoffs? If there is no injury, the playoff lineup is:

8-19-77

90-19-14

10-20-65

43-83-26

Vrana is only playing if there is an injury. Sanford would have been playing only if there was an injury. You are complaining about lack of depth by pointing at a rookie and lamenting trading away the depth, WHICH WAS A ROOKIE.

This team is the best 5 on 5 team in the league. It has the best tender in the league. It allows the fewest goals in the league (by 10) with 139. It is top 4 in scoring in the league with 212. That is a +73 differential.  All of this without anyone being in the top 10 in goals scored. 

3rd in G/game

1st in GA/game

7th on the PP

5th in PK

4 players with 20+ G (soon to be 5, and might get 6). The only regular skater with a minus rating is the guy we traded for and has played 4 games (-2). All of our defensemen are +13 or better, four are +22 or better. Our starting tender, over 50 games played, has a GAA of 1.93.  Our backup tender, over 18 games played, has a GAA of 2.04 (if qualified, would be 3rd in the league in GAA).

The team I just described is somehow lacking? This is, without question, the best overall team in the league. This team, without question, is the most complete team in Capitals history. Yet here you are complaining about lack of depth...

EDIT: Here's an idea: Sit back an enjoy the ride. If the Caps don't win the Cup, it won't be from lack of depth. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in sports to win.

40 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Since coming out of the break and losing two, the team is 5-2. Almost every team in the league has struggled out of the break and the Caps had to play two road games within 24 hours. Not start 24 hours apart, but actually play 2 within 24 hours while being on the road. So they lose in a shootout then lose 2-1 to the Rangers. 10 days after that the Caps thumped the Rangers. You want to agree to disagree so you can keep complaining but it's what you do. 

I'm gonna get this out of the way now and this can be used for the next 10 years at least: Damn, Dallas just owns the Caps for some unknown reason. 

All I want is a healthy Burakovsky.  He was lethal this season.

Also, in the playoffs you tend to ride your stars a little more.  You tend to match up a little more.  Everything is amplified.

We NEED to figure out our defense.  This problem of having too many defensemen is really going to be a problem in the playoffs when the top pair plays 30 minutes a game and the second pair plays 25 and the third pair plays 5.  Why bring in Shattenkirk for 5 minutes of playoff hockey.

7 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

You can't pull this bull****. Vrana is a rookie and "can't be trusted" in the playoffs, but Sanford (who is ALSO a rookie) all of a sudden can be trusted in the playoffs?

You get that the two are completely different "style" of prospects, right? One is a speedy skills guy and the other a 2 way power forward? Which would you feel better filling in (on this team) during the playoffs? 

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

Since coming out of the break and losing two, the team is 5-2.

Correct, were 5-4, since the bye.. :blink:

Careful Springfield!! Your bringing up a subject that's outside of "We the best, we can do no wrong" narraive they like to see in here.. Watch yo self brah! :rofl89:

16 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

You get that the two are completely different "style" of prospects, right? One is a speedy skills guy and the other a 2 way power forward? Which would you feel better filling in (on this team) during the playoffs? 

Correct, were 5-4, since the bye.. :blink:

Careful Springfield!! Your bringing up a subject that's outside of "We the best, we can do no wrong" narraive they like to see in here.. Watch yo self brah! :rofl89:

That's a laughable narrative. We all complain about lots of stuff throughout the year. We are just calling you out as you only seem to come in here if they lose to post something negative. There is always something wrong with the team according to you. It has nothing to do with "We the best" nonsense. 

Archived