Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

By the way everyone should get the Caps Cookbook online or at the Verizon Center. Yes it's 25 dollars but it all goes to charity so it's for a good cause. Lot of good recipes in there t hat I'm looking over right now, excited to start cooking them in the kitchen. 

On 3/3/2017 at 2:54 PM, Popeman38 said:

But let's not pretend like the Pens skated circles around the Caps in an easy series.  That was the roughest series of the playoffs for the Pens. And all this history garbage? It's for the fans and the media. The team as assembled has played zero series against the Pens. The core has played all of 2 - 7 games in 2010 and 6 in 2016.

Just want to throw out there (because it never seems to get mentioned), a Caps team full of grinders beat a stacked Lemieux-Francis-Jagr Pens club in the '94 playoffs, and probably blocked them from the Cup that year (Rangers won).  It's easy to forget amid all the heartbreaks and chokejobs, but it did happen before.  No reason it can't happen again this spring.

Yeah Popeman you are correct, history is for the fans to worry about and not the team. But as a fan that just watched the Pens go down 3-0 in the first period to Buffalo and then get all the calls and puck luck to come back and win 4-3, I'd rather see them get eliminated round 1 or have them slip to the WC1 and not see them until the ECF :ols:. Watching their game today on NHL network and getting the Pens root sports home announcers was a crappy slice of hell too. Blue Jackets Pens round 1 is going to be a great series if that's the way it shakes out with the Rangers going to the Atlantic, I think the BJs can take them out.

If we reach round 3 I'm not really worried about anyone. All the pressure will be off our core players and I think we'd go on to dominate any teams that are left. Just have to get there. I know the team doesn't care one way or the other whom they face, but I'd really like to face the Blue Jackets round 2. Yeah, they won't be an easy out either but as a fan I'd rather take our chances with no Crosby or no King Henrik round 2. I think our best matchup round 1 is the Leafs. They are over achieving this year and have serious flaws on defense. Again, I know there are no easy outs but I think our best chance through to round 3 is the Leafs then the Blue Jackets. 

What a mistake, out of habit I had NBCSN on for caps coverage because that's how I had to watch games out in tahoe. Through my dads NoVA Xfinity account I could log into the NBC sports app through his online Xfinity account and it carried NoVas local CSN channel for caps games. Anyways some clown on NBCSN just said he can't see how the Pens aren't the favorite coming out of the East this year, especially the way they man handled the caps in the series last year. Not sure what series he was watching, but we were a couple bounces away from winning that series and were certainly weren't man handled. Man I really dislike their studio stooges and announcing crew, so much better getting local coverage. 

Ugh, that *should* be goalie interference, but Orpik did this earlier in the season and they called it a good goal.  Orpik needs to be smarter than that, if you're gonna push a guy near the goalie it better be AWAY or you better damn well make sure the goal comes off the moorings.

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Ugh, that *should* be goalie interference, but Orpik did this earlier in the season and they called it a good goal.  Orpik needs to be smarter than that, if you're gonna push a guy near the goalie it better be AWAY or you better damn well make sure the goal comes off the moorings.

Yeah that's on Orpik, you don't throw a player into your own goal crease nothing good can come from that.

There are plenty of games to get back into the swing of things but I'd be lying if I said there aren't little alarm bells starting to go off in the back of my head. The caps are playing just like last year after they had that long period of time off. They were still winning games but never got back to the level they were at before the snow and all star break. Hopefully they get back to that high level before the playoffs start this year. I guess part of it is the teams they are playing are getting into playoff scramble mode and fighting for their post season lives, but the caps just seem a little off the last couple weeks.

I think the whole bye week thing is ridiculous. What is the point of a bye if right after it's over you are scheduled back to back afternoon games?

44-22 in shots, and Dallas had puck luck. Lehtinen is 9-0-1 against the Caps in last 10 starts. Dallas has won 6 straight at Verizon Center. 9 of 10 overall against the Caps. All this with 8 road wins in the season coming into the game. They are not making the playoffs. Some teams are just matchup nightmares. Kings were that for a long time. So were the Sharks. 

And **** the NHL for not ruling that tender interference. No ****ng way that isn't the textbook definition of interference. Yes, Orpik caused the INITIAL contact, but the skater literally stood there and prevented Holtby from playing the puck. If what the NHL called for interference against the Rags, THAT is interference. 

If your going to check the guy into your own goal/crease, make sure the goal gets knocked off its posts.. Anyway, more complacent play for 30+ minutes caught up with em'.. Wouldn't be a big deal except were into March now and they've looked disjointed (for long stretches) since the bye week.. Shattenkirk's hurt the chemistry as well it seems. (thought the PP looked alot better). Vrana is our forward "depth"?? Hmmm... Have to see how it ends but beginning to feel like I've seen this movie.

59 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

If your going to check the guy into your own goal/crease, make sure the goal gets knocked off its posts.. Anyway, more complacent play for 30+ minutes caught up with em'.. Wouldn't be a big deal except were into March now and they've looked disjointed (for long stretches) since the bye week.. Shattenkirk's hurt the chemistry as well it seems. (thought the PP looked alot better). Vrana is our forward "depth"?? Hmmm... Have to see how it ends but beginning to feel like I've seen this movie.

Eller

Connolly 

burkie?

Vrana has been near the top of the team in CF since he's been called up 

that's plenty of depth.

also the team out scored its last 3 opponents 19-8. Where is this narrative that they don't look good coming from? Because they lost to the Pens last year? 

Not to pick on you in particular but it's crazy how the doom and gloom comes through even when they are winning lol. 

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not to pick on you in particular but it's crazy how the doom and gloom comes through even when they are winning lol. 

Yeah, I think the doom and gloom has nothing to do with this year, but as Caps fans we have battered fan syndrome.  It never seems to matter how good the team is in the regular season, they always seem to find a way to lose in the playoffs, often giving up 3-1 series leads (which they have done more than any other team in the league).  Seeing the game tonight just gives us flashbacks to the playoffs in which the Caps are the better team but run into a hot goalie or find some other way to lose.  The only way the doom and gloom will stop is if the team exorcises those demons and wins a Stanley Cup.

Doom and gloom comes from watching the games down the stretch.. It's similar to last year where they continued to win, even when playing poorly. I don't know where the crisp passing and winning board battles has gone, but they need to get it back here soon.  As was stated last year, there is no magic switch to be flipped when the playoffs start. I just hope this is (still) bye week hangover and adding Vrana and Shattenkirk to the lineup..

BTW, when Burt comes back, Vrana and Paul Carey (who) are the forward "depth", (let that sink in) the other guys are the starters.

If I remember correctly, last year, the metrics didn't favor the Caps as the season started to wind down.  There were some warning signs.  Not sure if this is the case now, but games like last night, where the team looks disinterested/flat, surely doesn't give me a good feeling.  I know they have pressure to win the cup this year, so if there is ever a time for the team to refocus, it's now. 

Archived