Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

Holtby looks quite fresh in the post game interview. All he really needed was exhibition level output tonight.

The defense and penalty kill are ridiculous and need to play this disciplined to win the Cup. It doesn't hurt that New Jersey is a poor offensive team but I think the rest of the league is appreciative that NJ showed some defensive strategies to make it a nail biter where one bad bounce can potentially beat the Caps in the playoffs.

This Capitals team is talented, no doubt. But can they out-skate a cup seeking Pittsburgh team in a seven game series? I'm not sure. Been following since the ultra exciting days when Maruk and Langway took us to the play-offs for the first time. Remember the battles with Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, and Nystrom. Now, it's time to give fans around the country something they will never forget in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Just have to get out of the east.

9 hours ago, wolfsire said:

This Capitals team is talented, no doubt. But can they out-skate a cup seeking Pittsburgh team in a seven game series? I'm not sure. Been following since the ultra exciting days when Maruk and Langway took us to the play-offs for the first time. Remember the battles with Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, and Nystrom. Now, it's time to give fans around the country something they will never forget in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Just have to get out of the east.

That Pens series was won due to the 3rd and 4th lines.  Caps have improved their weaknesses of their forwards.  Obviously, getting to the SCF isn't going to be a cakewalk...and history isn't on the Caps' side due to their past failures.  However, all signs point to this being the best Caps team in franchise history.  If there is ever a year for a long run and potential cup win, this is it.  The road to the SCF goes through Pittsburgh.  Exorcise that demon, and we're good. 

Also, since there is no NHL thread, I'm going to leave these vids here.  MTL fans LOVED (and still love) PK Subban.  This man should have retired a Hab and was more than deserving of wearing the "C" on his sweater.  He's everything you want out of an ambassador for the league.  It's too bad the Montreal front office and coaching staff are so stuck on stupid that they didn't realize these things while he was under contract with them. 

I think at this point, having seen the collapses to the Pens as a kid and following the caps the majority of my life another 2nd exit to the Pens this year would just destroy my soul and love for Capitals hockey. If they can't get out of the 2nd round this year I fear it will never happen and I'd prefer the Pens get eliminated by the blue jackets, rangers or get the WC1 and we wouldn't face them until the 3rd round. The second round is such an albatross that I feel once the caps get passed it they will destroy anyone in that 3rd round Pens included. Here's to hoping this is our year and we have puck luck but anything can happen in the NHL playoffs. I'm glad Ovie is in a funk now and I hope it's just that and he isn't playing through an injury. History says he will heat up at some point soon and we don't need him red hot at the moment. I'm back in the area and so happy to watch the caps, wizards and Nat's this year.

The Red Sox had to beat the Yankees to break their curse. Peyton Manning had to beat Tom  Brady. We'll have to beat the Penguins. Its just the way it works.

I too agree if we get past the Pens we cruise to a Cup. My prediction is we beat them in a tough 7 game series, then win the ECF in 5(dropping game 1 in a hangover), and then sweeping the Cup Finals. The first round we'll probably screw around some and it'll end up going 6 inexplicably.

To win the Cup, you need skill, calls, and luck.  Two bounces ended the Caps season last year at the hand of the Pens. 

From the NHL Gamecenter series highlights:

Game 1: 4-3 (OT) Caps

Game 2: 2-1 Pens (disallowed goal after Kuzy is checked onto Murray, Fehr one handed deflection for GW, Orpik suspended 3 games, Caps hit 2 posts)

Game 3: 3-2 Pens (2 crazy deflection goals - one off a players back, Caps hit post)

Game 4: 3-2 Pens (crazy deflection of Alzner, deflection of Weber right to Hornnqvist in OT)

Game 5: 3-1 Caps

Game 6: 4-3 (OT) Pens (Hagelin world class deflection, series winner literally on a tee for Bonino)

The Pens 3rd line, the HBK line (all 4 G in game 6), dominated the series.  H-3G, B-2G, K-2G.  But the Pens scored a goal off a players back, literally.  A shot deflected off Alzner and trickled through. Weber blocks a shot - right onto the tape a Hornqvist with an open net. The series winner is kicked out by Holtby and literally stops a foot from the goal line and sits down perfectly for Bonino. It was a series of inches, and the Pens got the benefit of the bounces. Did the Pens somehow create their own luck? Yes and no. the HBK line benefited from some lucky bounces, but some will argue that they created those bounces.  Orpik would not have blocked a shot to 72 like Weber did. Letang also got a HUGE assist from Mr Bettman when he was only sat for 1 game, when Orpik got 3. That's the call you need from the league. Letang gets 3 games and we win the series.

But let's not pretend like the Pens skated circles around the Caps in an easy series.  That was the roughest series of the playoffs for the Pens. And all this history garbage? It's for the fans and the media. The team as assembled has played zero series against the Pens. The core has played all of 2 - 7 games in 2010 and 6 in 2016.

Hockey is just a weird game. No sport is affected by luck more. Being dominant might only shed a % point or two off the other team's chances of beating you. Its pretty frustrating when you've been as consistently great in the regular season as we have. In any other sport it'd probably amount to a title or two.

Archived