Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

sure sounds better to me, smells funny though.....is that methane generated electricity or BS I smell?

Electric rates must necessarily rise....and taxes  ;)

Yeah that's not really the case. the peaks on the electric grid is during the day when folks are using their aircondistionaers and going about their business. There is huge spare capacity in the evening when an electric car would be charging.. The other cool thing about this when you buy an electric car, or you sell 200,000 of them; you are creating huge storage capacity on the power grid which didn't exist before and will really help potentially with brown outs.

Also gasoline prices are at like 10 year lows right now. It's what roughly $2. a gallon roughly. That's still about 1/20th the cost of the electrical energy equivalent of a gallon of gas. IT's just way more efficient to create electricity than gasoline and always has been. The problem was we didn't have efficient ways to store electricity before, nor convert electricity to genetic energy.

Edited by JMS

Yeah that's not really the case. the peaks on the electric grid is during the day when folks are using their aircondistionaers and going about their business. There is huge spare capacity in the evening when an electric car would be charging.. The other cool thing about this when you buy an electric car, or you sell 200,000 of them; you are creating huge storage capacity on the power grid which didn't exist before and will really help potentially with brown outs.

Also gasoline prices are at like 10 year lows right now. It's what roughly $2. a gallon roughly. That's still about 1/20th the cost of the electrical energy equivalent of a gallon of gas. IT's just way more efficient to create electricity than gasoline and always has been. The problem was we didn't have efficient ways to store electricity before, nor convert electricity to genetic energy.

spare capacity from coal,NG,hydro and nuclear.....solar and wind no 

gas so far provides the best mobile energy cost (all costs included)

Many EV cost comparisons neglect the vampire losses as well as the peripherals needed

I do like the spare capacity bit for brownouts and such, but that is addressed better thru sensible energy policy that avoids the need.

fuel cell vehicles and home/community fuel cell electric generation is much more efficient,feasible and reliable

It's interesting to me that the "battle" right now is between Chevy Volt and Model 3. To me it's no contest. Model 3 is a sleek, sexy car that happens to be an EV. No offense to Volt owners, 'cause I totally respect being early adopters. 

• 2 months later...

Tesla Driver Killed in Crash While Using Car's 'Autopilot'

The U.S. announced Thursday the first fatality in a wreck involving a car in self-driving mode, the 40-year-old owner of a technology company who nicknamed his vehicle "Tessy" and had praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system just one month earlier for preventing a collision on an interstate. The government said it is investigating the design and performance of the system aboard the Tesla Model S sedan.

Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the accident May 7 in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records obtained Thursday.

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi told The Associated Press in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen. There was no reference to the movie in initial police reports.

Brown's published obituary described him as a member of the Navy SEALs for 11 years and founder of Nexu Innovations Inc., working on wireless Internet networks and camera systems. In Washington, the Pentagon confirmed Brown's work with the SEALs and said he left the service in 2008.

Brown was an enthusiastic booster of his 2015 Tesla Model S and in April credited its sophisticated Autopilot system for avoiding a crash when a commercial truck swerved into his lane on an interstate. He published a video of the incident online. "Hands down the best car I have ever owned and use it to its full extent," Brown wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

elon musk is a douche bag 2nd rate engineer that has no respect for the technology he claims to be at the forefront of creating.

his ****ing rockets blow up regularly.

did you know amazon is doing the same thing, but they're actually successful at it? no, you probably didn't, because amazon doesn't spend all their time advertising that htey send **** into space, they just send **** into space reliably. Space X? they spend all their time marketing and advertising, so their **** blows up.

his cars are gigantically over priced pieces of **** that leave you stranded places because they're over engineered to look cool, but not actually work on any reliable level (KIND OF LIKE HIS ROCKETS), and now his piss poor leadership on implementing 'auto pilot' has finally cost someone their life.

he's going to ruin driver-less cars for the rest of us. and it's weird because my boss and i (both with backgrounds in AI from academia, me more so than him but he has a much stronger background than most BSCS people) were discussing how much of a 2nd rate engineer, with no respect for what makes someone a great engineer, he is and how he was going to cause the government to shut down the program.

2 days later his car kills someone.

if only the government could step in and tell tesla they can no longer work on this until they get their **** together.

google has put more effort in one week into developing this technology than musk's company has put in in its entirety. google doesn't just 'turn it on' for people and call it 'beta'.  driver-less cars goes back to the 80's when it was first done in academia, and has been a long work in progress since.

this guy show sup and just wham, here you go general public, for 80k you can have a car with this feature.

idiot.
----

here's another one from a while ago

http://jalopnik.com/man-claims-his-tesla-model-s-crashed-into-a-trailer-all-1776021675

please park yourself, tesla

park yourself right into that truck over there

thanks!

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

Your criteria that Elon Musk is second rate based on a rocket ship that blew up and that an auto-pilot car crashed is a bit over the top. Let me ask you a few questions cause I find all this interesting.

First, how many satellites has Jeff Bezos' space program actually put into orbit compared to Space X?

Second, do you think this will be the only autopilot malfunction in the next five years by any car company? Personally it doesn't surprise me and I anticipate more stories like this.

Third, how is a Tesla an over engineered vehicle?

Tesla has its owners sign an NDA not to report issues.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2016/06/09/is-tesla-trying-to-keep-owners-from-reporting-vehicle-safety-problems/#262edd3f3096

“NHTSA is examining the potential suspension issue on the Tesla Model S, and is seeking additional information from vehicle owners and the company. NHTSA learned of Tesla’s troublesome nondisclosure agreement last month. The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and NHTSA expects Tesla to eliminate any such language. Tesla representatives told NHTSA that it was not their intention to dissuade consumers from contacting the agency. NHTSA always encourages vehicle owners concerned about potential safety defects to contact the agency by filing a vehicle safety complaint at SaferCar.gov.”

- Bryan Thomas, NHTSA Spokesperson

You know who else operates like that?

Donald Trump.

Your criteria that Elon Musk is second rate based on a rocket ship that blew up and that an auto-pilot car crashed is a bit over the top.

It's more based on how he's handled driver-less cars.

Why do you think his company is the only one that's handled it this way?

Why do you think his company is the only one with a death on its record now?

I believe SpaceX's issues go beyond "a rocket ship that blew up"

Let me ask you a few questions cause I find all this interesting.

First, how many satellites has Jeff Bezos' space program actually put into orbit compared to Space X?

Unsure, if you know and are playing a game with me by all means let me know. It's ~4pm on a friday before 4th of july, i'm heading out the door for a long weekend. If you don't know I guess I'll look it up when I find time :)

Second, do you think this will be the only autopilot malfunction in the next five years by any car company? Personally it doesn't surprise me and I anticipate more stories like this.

Do you think this is the first time this sort of technology has been developed?

Do you understand that the first 'auto pilot' mode was created and tested on public road ways in the 1980's?

How many people have died from it?

1. 1 person. the one that drove the car engineered by the guy that decided what, a year ago?, that they were going to add this to their cars and then released it as a 'beta' to their consumers.

To be honest, I'm thoroughly surprised google, mercedes, infinity, and everyone else approaching the issue from many different angles (everything from braking, lane departure correction, parking, to actual driving like google) hasn't had more issues.

I'm thoroughly not surprised Tesla has a death on its record now.

Third, how is a Tesla an over engineered vehicle?

They designed handles to pop out to be used, but forgot to make sure *they always pop out* or that there's a second way to get into the car.

Ever met a tesla owner that's been stuck in a grocery store parking lot with bags of groceries and no way to get in their car?

I have.

There's a world of difference between the Blue Origins rockets and SpaceX.

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-the-reusable-rocket-competition-between-spacex-vs-blue-origin-isn-t-actually-a-competition

Rants are fun but uninformed rants are the worst.

I wasn't trying to say the two programs are exactly the same.

In fact, this sort of proves my point.

The company that's doing it right is taking a measured approach. Building up their program. NASA didn't start by trying to put a man on the moon, either.

You see the same mindset from Space X in the Tesla auto pilot program.

Edited by tshile

They just took sub orbital rocket and managed to land the booster on a drone ship in the ****ing ocean and have now successfully demonstrated a key component of reusable rocket technology. Sorry you don't see the absolute ground breaking nature of that accomplishment.

Usually you are more sensible than this so I am going to assume you are having a bad day.

Edited by No Excuses

It's more based on how he's handled driver-less cars.

Why do you think his company is the only one that's handled it this way?

Why do you think his company is the only one with a death on its record now?

I believe SpaceX's issues go beyond "a rocket ship that blew up"

Unsure, if you know and are playing a game with me by all means let me know. It's ~4pm on a friday before 4th of july, i'm heading out the door for a long weekend. If you don't know I guess I'll look it up when I find time :)

I don't know why his company has had the only auto-pilot crash that resulted in a death, but I honestly didn't think there were many of those cars on the road. I assume more will happen as the market for them increases dramatically.

Per Space X, I found that Space X has been performing a lot of supply missions but I didn't find anything to say that Bevos' company has done that at all yet. I didn't spend a lot of time researching so it's always possible I missed something which is why I asked. It seems like a slightly unfair comparison at this point.

I would love to have a tesla but I wouldn't use the auto pilot feature. Not until 75% or so of cars driving around the roads are on it and it becomes a pretty routine feature. Sure as hell am not doing it as a first adopter type of scenario

They need to make a "network" of cars. Include it in the next OBD provisioning so that in 15-20 years, most of the cars on the road can communicate with each other when they're within a certain proximity. That will prevent accidents and improve traffic flow.

Only then will I allow a self driving car to take my life into its hands.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with Anazon having trouble posting a profit? Shareholders current or prospective would love to hear they are launching rockets when they're company isn't showing profits.

Maybe a day will come when musk will have functioning products. At the time; it's too late to do promotion.

I love that Tesla is taking over the solar market. Building monster facilities that produce batteries, panels and cars and now the largest installation company? Fantastic. Own the market, then start finding better, oilless ways to make everything.

Funny, it's a great example of the free market working correctly, but by the greenest lefties around. Ols

Self-Driving car software is made by people, and people are imperfect.  As long as that is the case, self-driving cars are going to get into accidents, too. 

Count me in the "should we be doing this unless we need to" category.  I would get behind a car where you could press a button and take you to the nearest hospital.  I'm not ready for self-driving cars that are actually going to be on the interstate with me.  Seems alien to me if it got to the point of being normal to do the majority of your driving commute everyday without your hand on the wheel, like cruise control or something.

Next we'll have robots washing our dishes because don't want to do that anymore either. 

I don't know why his company has had the only auto-pilot crash that resulted in a death, but I honestly didn't think there were many of those cars on the road. I assume more will happen as the market for them increases dramatically.

The reason is because they gave a feature that's not ready to consumers, and consumers are not mentally equipped to handle something like that. It's not an issue of intelligence or anything, it's an issue of not understanding that the technology isn't ready to be 'trusted' and while they sign all the paperwork, they just aren't trained, educated, etc to understand - hey, this thing has issues detecting objects x feet off the ground so it might run into tractor trailers.

He's more concerned with being first to market with the feature and this is the result. True engineers understand that there's a line between stuff you can push to consumers that way, and stuff you can't. If your iOS app has a corner case that results in a problem, that's one thing. When it's an auto-pilot system driving down the road at 60 mph with humans inside, and other humans around it, that's another.

And you see across the tech industry people blurring that line and stuff bleeding over across it. When you see someone that touts themself an elite engineer, with an elite engineering team, fail to respect that line then they need to be called out for it. It's inexcusable.

His companies are doing amazing things. These problems they're trying to solve are incredible hard. My rant is not to detract from that. It's to call out how he's let it go to his head and on something incredibly important he's let his ego, his desire to be first to market, etc over rule a critical part of being an elite engineer.

And someone is dead because of it now.

And above all, this is exactly the sort of thing that causes knee jerk reactions from politicians to ban something.

And the auto industry is very much against what tesla and Google are doing. They have, and will continue to, lobby against it. It's not good for their business, because the end state is people owning less cars (why own a car you only drive 5% of the time if it can be where you need it to be, when you need it, and go serve others the 95% of the time it would otherwise sit in your driveway/work parking lot.) This gives them more ammo to shut it down.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1