Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

I thought that was limited to Austin?

Nope 

Where are you moving?

The Yankee migration is real

The Caribbean or Hawaii seem the best so far......maybe I can open a animal shelter

• Like 1

Most of the best selling cars in America, such as the Honda Accord or Nissan Altima, generally hit around 300,000 in sales every year. Tesla saw 276,000 people sign­up to buy its newest all­electric Model 3 sedan — in two days.

That massive number, which far exceeded optimistic forecasts, upends traditional thinking about how to sell cars and is expected to spur the auto industry to shift more dramatically to market electric technology to consumers, analysts said. “We’ve never seen anything quite like this in the auto industry,” said Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst at Edmunds.com.

“It is unprecedented.” Mainstream car manufacturers have long dabbled in electric technology and some have made a bit of headway in getting such vehicles on the road. But the category was a niche, measured in thousands — not hundreds of thousands — of cars sold. Tesla now appears to be doing what no other has so far been able to accomplish — sell electric cars to big crowds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/04/04/the-car-industry-has-never-witnessed-what-tesla-is-about-to-go-through/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_tesla-729pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

This is a good thing for the auto industry. 

Most of the best selling cars in America, such as the Honda Accord or Nissan Altima, generally hit around 300,000 in sales every year. Tesla saw 276,000 people sign­up to buy its newest all­electric Model 3 sedan — in two days.

That massive number, which far exceeded optimistic forecasts, upends traditional thinking about how to sell cars and is expected to spur the auto industry to shift more dramatically to market electric technology to consumers, analysts said. “We’ve never seen anything quite like this in the auto industry,” said Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst at Edmunds.com.

“It is unprecedented.” Mainstream car manufacturers have long dabbled in electric technology and some have made a bit of headway in getting such vehicles on the road. But the category was a niche, measured in thousands — not hundreds of thousands — of cars sold. Tesla now appears to be doing what no other has so far been able to accomplish — sell electric cars to big crowds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/04/04/the-car-industry-has-never-witnessed-what-tesla-is-about-to-go-through/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_tesla-729pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

This is a good thing for the auto industry. 

I wonder how many of those people are going to cancel their pre-orders after buyers remorse sets in?

or figure out they are not all getting the rebate (the number is capped and limited to certain purchases)

but I think delays will be the biggest issue

American capitalism and ingenuity at its finest.

I settled on a Volt because of the price and the fact that 51-60 EV miles on a charge are plenty for me in my daily use. 

The cool car aspect is going to continue to change the industry, whether its Tesla who does it, Chevy, BMW or Ford.

or figure out they are not all getting the rebate (the number is capped and limited to certain purchases)

but I think delays will be the biggest issue

That and the cost of setting up a charging station at home (and whether or not they have the capability to add it their existing breakers). 

Edited by The Evil Genius

That and the cost of setting up a charging station at home (and whether or not they have the capability to add it their existing breakers). 

I am considering it, however work has charging stations (and the best spots) for free.

They range from 400 to 1000 now. The key is having the NEMA 240 outlet and as you said the breakers to support it

We are a long ways from widespread adoption of EV's, however at the ground level this is exciting. 

The Chevy Bolt and an updated Nissan Leaf will start to add more competition in this market. The Bolt already reduced its price in response to the Model 3.

Edited by SkinsHokieFan
  • Like 1

I am considering it, however work has charging stations (and the best spots) for free.

They range from 400 to 1000 now. The key is having the NEMA 240 outlet and as you said the breakers to support it

We are a long ways from widespread adoption of EV's, however at the ground level this is exciting. 

The Chevy Bolt and an updated Nissan Leaf will start to add more competition in this market. The Bolt already reduced its price in response to the Model 3.

My hope is that Tesla forces other companies to move the needle farther to catch up to them. That, and with the powerwall, we have a complete alternative source for transportation and energy storage.

If we could just get people to get into alt energy generation. But that's another story altogether.

Be interesting how the Bubba-set will react to electric pickup trucks.

I touched on it earlier but electric motors are far superior than any fossil fuel based power in terms of torque, the most important aspect of a truck power plant

The performance isn't even close actually. Just that runtime thingy that's a problem

how many flooded streets have you had to drive through in the past, say, 20 years?

This is bad news for all of the diesel electric cargo ships and heavy freighters that cross the worlds oceans.

Much easier to seal a battery than snorkel an intake manifold

• Like 1

I touched on it earlier but electric motors are far superior than any fossil fuel based power in terms of torque, the most important aspect of a truck power plant

The performance isn't even close actually. Just that runtime thingy that's a problem

This is bad news for all of the diesel electric cargo ships and heavy freighters that cross the worlds oceans.

Electric motors give instant torque. Gas/diesel need to rev in order to create torque.

how many flooded streets have you had to drive through in the past, say, 20 years?

It is a regular thing here, three ft in front of my house at least a dozen times a yr, seen 5 ft a few.....and I don't get rain days 

and I live on high ground for my area  :lol:

and those regenerative brakes and all them sensors?

When they put hulls and bilges on the trucks I'll consider it  :)

add

I sing that and Keep on rolling quite often

Edited by twa

There's a parable in the Bible that addresses your flood problem. 

Moses?.....oh wait, that one was real

Noah?....nope ,

can't be the building on sand one, this is gumbo ground  :P

add

otherwise known as Houston Black

http://www.soils4teachers.org/files/s4t/k12outreach/tx-state-soil-booklet.pdf

never realized this is the only state with this crap

Edited by twa