Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

I just don't see why driving a gas powered car is a negative.

I think electric cars are better if they are better cars.. And at least according to road and track; Tesla's cars are the best cars they've ever reviewed.. not the best electric cars.. the best cars. That doesn't necessarily make it so for every consumer.. but I do think today, unlike yesterday, every consumer should take a hard look and consider the electric option before deciding on the best solution for themselves.

I think having that option along with all the innovation occurring in the auto industry largely due to electric and hybrid cars is something everybody can appreciate even folks who decide gasoline for whatever reason still makes the most sense for them.

Edited by JMS
  • Like 1

So gasoline a few years back was what 4.50 - 5.00 a gallon nearly. Today it's what 1.50 - 2.00 a gallon.

Doesn't $0.10 for the electrical equivalence of a gallon sound better?

sure sounds better to me, smells funny though.....is that methane generated electricity or BS I smell?

Electric rates must necessarily rise....and taxes  ;)

sure sounds better to me, smells funny though.....is that methane generated electricity or BS I smell?

Electric rates must necessarily rise....and taxes  ;)

And yet we still come out significantly on top.

In particular when we are all taking advantage of the big nuclear reactor floating in the sky ;) 

And yet we still come out significantly on top.

In particular when we are all taking advantage of the big nuclear reactor floating in the sky ;)

the one solar companies are going bankrupt exploiting....despite guaranteed rates and funding?

I look forward to Musk's next excuse/delay

Not all people. In my experience, there is a large number of people who own luxury cars but can't afford to fix or maintain them. I see these cars when they are 5-10 years old, sometimes 2nd owner. Those are the ones who buy them as a status symbol because they can't buy them new. I regularly talk to people who bought a 3 series BMW 2nd hand and can't pay the $500 it costs to get their drivers door to open correctly.

I see this at my work all the time wih corvette owners lol

I have a 3.5 ecoboost that I use to tow quite a bit, usually around 7000 lbs or so.

I was thinking today about towing with an electric motor and how awesome that would be. Obviously there are too many limitations currently, but the amount of torque generated by an electric motor makes even the biggest diesels look like toys.

I could see an entire transportation system switching to electric nevermind guys like me who tow for recreation

And think how much better a country this would be without diesels belching soot and sulfur into the atmosphere

if they mate fuel cells and supercapacitors ya might, otherwise ya need a leap in battery tech

many transport and heavy machinery are switching to NG,

Edited by twa

A leap in battery tech might not be too far away. Graphene seems to be promising in this regard.

still limited by slow charge rate and life cycle, super capacitor is more feasible

still limited by slow charge rate and life cycle, super capacitor is more feasible

Man, you must have been real fun in 1903

"Flying, puuhleeze. No way a human can get above 1000 feet in the air"

Or 1945

"Splitting atoms? What are we God?"

The '60s

"Go to the moon?!? The moon doesn't even exist!" 

• Like 2

I'm the one been telling ya about abiotic oil  ;)

Graphene certainly seems a game changer in fuel cells so far.

let go of the battery bro, bigger and better things are out there

I'm the one been telling ya about abiotic oil ;)

Graphene certainly seems a game changer in fuel cells so far.

let go of the battery bro, bigger and better things are out there

Don't you have a personal stake in the gas auto industry?

After reading this thread, I test drove a Chevy Volt this weekend. Nice ride. I've been wanting to put off buying a new car for another 3 years or so, but I don't want to miss out on the 7500 tax credit. There was still a 2015 model the salesman offered me 25% off, but I'm not sure how much I would miss the extra range of the 2016/7 models. Like SHF, there's a charging outlet in the parking lot where I work, so I might only have to plug in on weekends. Hmmmmmmm.

Some of you remind me of the CEO of SAP back in the 90s, who was convinced the internet was just an American fad....

Don't you have a personal stake in the gas auto industry?

Nope, I work on vehicles including electric now. :lol:

I'd rather do something else though....snake oil still seems to sell well

as a matter of fact I hate oil and my family branch divested from it long ago....if we hadn't I could drive a Telsa  :P

Nope, I work on vehicles including electric now. :lol:

I'd rather do something else though....snake oil still seems to sell well

as a matter of fact I hate oil and my family branch divested from it long ago....if we hadn't I could drive a Telsa :P

Yah but there would be a ton less business for you with an electric vehicle correct? Especially a tesla.

I just kind of figured that's why you are so sour on the idea, makes sense

Yah but there would be a ton less business for you with an electric vehicle correct? Especially a tesla.

I just kind of figured that's why you are so sour on the idea, makes sense

Why would there be less business?

The auto driving maybe, but I'm confident my customers or Telsa can screw that feature up  :P

I figured it had to do more with his entire state's economy being tied to oil. Can you imagine the financial impact to the gulf coast states if petroleum usage was drastically eliminated?

my state is rather diverse.....besides I'm about ready to move to escape the Yankee migration 

add 

Cali is as tied to oil as Texas, we make the plastic and such electric vehicles require...as well as electronics

Edited by twa

Why would there be less business?

The auto driving maybe, but I'm confident my customers or Telsa can screw that feature up :P

my state is rather diverse.....besides I'm about ready to move to escape the Yankee migration

add

Cali is as tied to oil as Texas, we make the plastic and such electric vehicles require...as well as electronics

Where are you moving?

The Yankee migration is real