Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

Tires? Brakes? Suspension?

These are all things that still need maintenance and service. They need to be done by a person, in person.

anybody can do tires, no need to go to a tesla dealership for that. The tesla's have a power recovery breaking system which adds life to the brakes. It's not a disk or pad breaking system which requires replacing. They don't coast. The moment you take your foot off the gas/power the cars decelerate and the kenetic energy is recovered and used to recharge the battery.. So not sure they need break jobs as often either.

I've never had my suspension serviced on a car.

Edited by JMS

Battery does not have to be professionally installed at least for S and X models. At the rapid charging stations it's an automated procedure. But they are supposed to be pretty expensive like 10k ish. Basically you are talking about trying to keep an extra tank of gas around. Not practical or necessary. If you need more range than the 20 mile base package buy a larger package. The Sand X models could go rarther than 300 miles put charge

The battery on an Model S is huge. There's absolutely no way these battery exchange stations could exist where you simply take it out and put one in. I have two friends who are techs at Tesla.

anybody an do tires, no need to go to a tester dealership for that. The tesla's have a power recovery breaking system which adds life to the brakes. It's not a disk or pad breaking system which requires replacing. They don't coast. The moment you take your foot off the gas/power the cars decelerate and the kenetic energy is recovered and used to recharge the battery.. So not sure they need break jobs as often either.

I've never had my suspension serviced on a car.

Again, I have two friends who are mechanics at the tysons shop. Teslas are just like any other car and need regular service.

no, you must pay the difference in cost between the battery you have and the new one, or return to swap back your charged battery for a 60-$80 dollar fee(assuming of course you don't have the 60 battery instead of the 85, in which case they do no do swaps)

did I mention this is appointment only? :P

the swap stations are only to get more federal/state funding for Musk....just gimmick

So they're pretty much prorated the way most batteries used to be?

Battery does not have to be professionally installed at least for S and X models. At the rapid charging stations it's an automated procedure. But they are supposed to be pretty expensive like 10k ish. Basically you are talking about trying to keep an extra tank of gas around. Not practical or necessary. If you need more range than the 20 mile base package buy a larger package. The Sand X models could go rarther than 300 miles put charge

I thought your earlier post said instead of charging a person could pay roughly the cost of a tank of gas and swap out the batteries? That's why I asked my initial question but I'm clearly confused

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Put my deposit down. I have over 160,000 miles on my 07 Prius so it's time.

I need to learn more about the 3 series. Need to make sure I can fit in it.

Order today.. take delivery in 2 years. Not sure I can wait.

The S series I drove had better range and acceleration. Frankly had more acceleration than I'll use.. Still need to better understand the differences between the 3 series and the S and X series.

Edited by JMS

I thought your earlier post said instead of charging a person could pay roughly the cost of a tank of gas and swap out the batteries? That's why I asked my initial question but I'm clearly confused

he is probably a victim of sales speak. :P

from all I have seen the battery swap is not very available,nor as simple as sold.

certainly not at most charging stations

I don't think it's a good time to be in the filter business. Think about all the quick lube places that could theoretically disappear overnight like blockbuster video

As for tires, Costco. I don't think I've ever had suspension work done on a car before I guess that would be dealership

Brakes would still be an issue for many but I just don't see dedicated shops for just brakes

Not a good time to invest in the car repair biz the way the market is trending. It feels like the electric car is really gaining these past few years and will only accelerate. At some point it's going to hit critical mass and we will see the death of another industry that tech killed.

The electric car is a great idea. It's still just a niche though.

$35,000 for a car that you basically use for commuter driving? There is a large segment of society that either can't afford or has no use for these cars. $35,000 means a $600+ car payment for most. This is a car for the upper middle class.

There is definitely a give and take with the plug in electric. It isn't like it's all benefit and no compromise.

I had a thought to buy one of these though, basically for research. I want my shop to be able to handle the newest trends in the automotive field and what better way to research a Tesla than by using it as a daily driver?

The average person doesn't have a long commute and typically does not veer too far from the route to or from either place. 

200 miles per day is plenty for most drivers. 

Niche is not really it. It is becoming trendsetting at this point. Within the next 20 years, I would guess that most households will have one of these type of vehicles in their driveway. 

Not sure about that, but surely it has been addressed at some point, because I do recall it being a point made about 10 years ago. 

The average person has something-like a 40 mile commute round trip. I would hope that sitting in traffic wouldn't be too much of an issue as far as battery life. Pretty sure they figured out the cold weather thing a few years back also. 

Is it just me, but shouldn't there be a passive energy collection system on electric cars? Maybe not on the roofs, but you could put window shades that up that could collect energy passively throughout the day. 

They could also install regenerative braking to capture some of the energy during braking.

New business idea: Netlube or Jiffyflix?

I had a great idea for a franchise, it was combination of hooters and jiffy lube. Guys take their cars in to be serviced and can hang out in a lounge area eating and watch through a glass wall as women in booty shorts, bras, possibly string bikinis did basic stuff on their cars like oil changes etc.

Maybe even have a second side where woman could go and have shirtless hunky men doing the same.

Called it the Boob & Lube or Lube Job or something.

Would have made a killing

The battery on an Model S is huge. There's absolutely no way these battery exchange stations could exist where you simply take it out and put one in. I have two friends who are techs at Tesla.

I heard musk talking about that a year ago or so. Just googled it. Looks like they were toying with the idea but decided against it. No battery exchanges.

Tesla's battery swap program is pretty much dead

http://fortune.com/2015/06/10/teslas-battery-swap-is-dead/

Again, I have two friends who are mechanics at the tysons shop. Teslas are just like any other car and need regular service.

So they don't need oil changes, air filter changes, bass filter changes, tune ups ( no spark plugs).. The breaks have some sort of genetic energy recapture utility which assists in breaking... There are a couple of dozen routine procedures which can be performed as well as diagnoses online..

What occurs in the routine matenance and where are they performed.. Does Tyson's even have a "shop"... the store is in the middle of the shopping mall? Where is the "shop", I'd like to check it out.

So they're pretty much prorated the way most batteries used to be?

The battery life seems to be a weakness.. guaranteed or rated or however they said it, for only 1000 fully cycle charges and a 200 mile range limit. The batteries are only going to last for what 4 years... A nice Gasoline car I can put 200k on them over more than a decade.

They could also install regenerative braking to capture some of the energy during braking.

Tesla's have that. IT's very noticeable too... take your foot off the power and they begin to slow down pretty fast without applying any breaks, and the breaks do recapture the genetic energy and charge the battery with it.

I'm out of this Tesla circle jerk.

These aren't magical things that just roll down from the cloud accompanied by unicorns and pigs with rainbows shooting our of their asses. These are cars, they drive in rain, snow, 100 degrees, 10 degrees. Stuff will break, stuff will need service. To pretend that everything gets fixed over the Internet is insanely ignorant.

These aren't magical things that just roll down from the cloud accompanied by unicorns and pigs with rainbows shooting our of their asses. These are cars, they drive in rain, snow, 100 degrees, 10 degrees. Stuff will break, stuff will need service. To pretend that everything gets fixed over the Internet is insanely ignorant.

Shun the nonbeliever.
  • Like 1

science denier  :)

yes it is a niche and we could not afford the subsidies if it wasn't

it might make sense for the affluent commuter that never keeps a car for a decade though

science denier  :)

yes it is a niche and we could not afford the subsidies if it wasn't

it might make sense for the affluent commuter that never keeps a car for a decade though

It's another interim stage..  I read somewhere that it costs Tesla more money today to build the model 3 than he's proposing selling it for.    Why would he do this..    Musk is counting on what has become about 150,000 orders for this new car.    He's counting on being able to scale up and significantly reduce the costs of building these cars....    His stated goal is to create a no compromise electric car for everyday people.    The model 3 is his first go at it and 35k with a 10 k rebate is his just the third price point.     Musk has been aiming at this ever since he introduced his first $120k car.

As for the service complaint.   Look do you think when the model T first was introduced that there were enough service stations?    It's true that these cars don't require the same or as significant maintenance as gasoline cars,   It's also true that diagnoses and some procedures can be done online.    If the car needs to go into the shop, and their are tens of thousands or a 100 thousand on the road,   folks will step up to service them.    Just because that infrastructure isn't their today doesn't mean it won't be there.    That's not an argument to not entertain this new car, which is a pretty exciting.

Edited by JMS
  • Like 1

Loving that the Chevy and Bolt and Model 3 will competing over the next few years. Hoping more pure electrics enter the market which will improve the infrastructure

By the end of the 20s I would love it if half the cars on our roads were electric

Heard an interview on the BBC with Musk maybe six months ago. Musk was saying that in the next six or seven years most cars on the road will be self driving. The BBC's car critic was incredulous. He was openly mocking Musk. How can that be, not one major auto manufactures is even planning for that option today... Never going to happen, he says.. GM just purchased a company which specializes in self driving, and of coarse Musk's model 3 with 150,000 orders is also auto driving. It's pretty cool.

Friday we have Saudi Arabi talking about the end of the oil industry and their plans for such.. it's amazing.

Edited by JMS

It's another interim stage..  I read somewhere that it costs Tesla more money today to build the model 3 than he's proposing selling it for.    Why would he do this..

because the govt and funding, same reason they put out a few battery swap locations.....$$$$$

By the end of the 20s I would love it if half the cars on our roads were electric

if so we would need to reduce subsidies and change road use taxes.....no free lunch

because the govt and funding, same reason they put out a few battery swap locations.....$$$$$

if so we would need to reduce subsidies and change road use taxes.....no free lunch

does the oil industry get subsidies? did the government give the auto industry a ton of money to help keep it afloat during a tough time? should the government invest in an industry to promote overall scientific/technological progress?

which industries are you okay with receiving free lunches?