Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

a Prius runs about 24K with it's own rebates ect

I didn't realize they were that cheap..

I would just say, based upon driving the S series, Tesler electric vehicles aren't compromise cars. They are very nice no compromise cars.

There really isn't a comparison between them and a Prius.

I'm a tall guy, 6'6"... I couldn't possible fit in a Prius.. I did fit in the model S.. although it was tight and kinda awkward before I fully adjusted the seat.. Heard the model X was roomier, plan to test drive that in the coming weeks. Heard the model 3 is for 5 people, not sure about the leg room there yet.

It's an excellent reasoning.

For this to work, on a large scale basis, we need the gas stations and other aftermarket on board.

Right now, Tesla is going the Apple route in that it's all done in house. That is a business model that will only work for a niche.

Yeah not really... They do have the battery exchange program so if you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for the charge you can pay about the same price you would pay for a tank of gas and get new charged batteries.

Tester does have rapid charging stations they've built all over the country... 3 in the DC area, about 30 between DC and Boston, eye balling it. The map and directions to these centers is built into the car mapping system. But really this car is supposed to be charged at your home. You can buy an automated charge system which will auto plug your car in when you park it. else you plug it in yourself.. and unless you commute more than 200-300 miles a day... you never have to worry about gas or charge again...

You rely on the rapid charging stations if you are taking a road trip, generally.

Here is a map of all the charging stations Tesla has today... They've got a boat load of them.

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=destination%20charger&name=usa

Edited by JMS

I didn't realize they were that cheap..

I would just say, based upon driving the S series, Tesler electric vehicles aren't compromise cars. They are very nice no compromise cars.

There really isn't a comparison between them and a Prius.

I'm a tall guy, 6'6"... I couldn't possible fit in a Prius.. I did fit in the model S.. although it was tight and kinda awkward before I fully adjusted the seat.. Heard the model X was roomier, plan to test drive that in the coming weeks. Heard the model 3 is for 5 people, not sure about the leg room there yet.

Yeah not really... They do have the battery exchange program so if you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for the charge you can pay about the same price you would pay for a tank of gas and get new charged batteries.

Tester does have rapid charging stations they've built all over the country... 3 in the DC area, about 30 between DC and Boston, eye balling it. The map and directions to these centers is built into the car mapping system. But really this car is supposed to be charged at your home. You can buy an automated charge system which will auto plug your car in when you park it. else you plug it in yourself.. and unless you commute more than 200-300 miles a day... you never have to worry about gas or charge again...

You rely on the rapid charging stations if you are taking a road trip, generally.

Here is a map of all the charging stations Tesla has today... They've got a boat load of them.

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=destination%20charger&name=usa

You don't really get what I'm saying.

Tesla controls everything. That's the problem.

There is more to a car than filling the tank (or charging the battery) and driving it.

Does the battery have to be professionally installed or swapped?

Couldn't you just buy one and keep it in the car as a backup or is it too large and cumbersome for that?

they are extremely heavy (1200 lbs for the S model) and bulky, as well as dangerous for the unskilled

tesla-battery-factory-570x370.jpg

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

Does the battery have to be professionally installed or swapped?

Couldn't you just buy one and keep it in the car as a backup or is it too large and cumbersome for that?

Battery does not have to be professionally installed at least for S and X models. At the rapid charging stations it's an automated procedure. But they are supposed to be pretty expensive like 10k ish. Basically you are talking about trying to keep an extra tank of gas around. Not practical or necessary. If you need more range than the 200 miles base package buy a larger package. The S and X models could go rarther than 300 miles put charge Edited by JMS
  • Like 1

You don't really get what I'm saying.

Tesla controls everything. That's the problem.

There is more to a car than filling the tank (or charging the battery) and driving it.

I hear what you are saying but I don't think you are getting it. These cars don't get oil changes or brought to the dealer for a routine tune up. When you need a tune up or something isn't working right or even when they installed the auto driving function; all that is done remotely. You call up tesla and while your on the phone the tech logs into your car and can fix adjust many of the cars routine maintenance.

If it has to go into the shop, like a wreck. They come and pick up the car. So yes tesla does everything and your right that's an issue, it's also true there is less to do, and much of that can be done remotely.

Battery changes for the x and s can be done automated at the rapid charging stations tesla stated over a year ago. Don't know about the model 3 yet.

what about in union states like NJ that don't let you pump your own gas, will you be allowed to swap your own battery?

My understanding is at the automated rapid charging stations battery swaps were also automated. These batteries are very expensive. you aren't going to have a spare set in your garage. Besides there is no need.

Also the testa sales guy told me the power plant for these cars is only rated for 1000 full charges. Partial charge isn't the same as a full charge he said. But that still sounds pretty limiting.

My understanding is at the automated rapid charging stations battery swaps were also automated. These batteries are very expensive. you aren't going to have a spare set in your garage. Besides there is no need.

Also the testa sales guy told me the power plant for these cars is only rated for 1000 full charges. Partial charge isn't the same as a full charge he said. But that still sounds pretty limiting.

So once every 3+ years you have to pay $30-50 for a new battery at a charging station?

Doesn't sound THAT limiting...

So once every 3+ years you have to pay $30-50 for a new battery at a charging station?

Yeah in theory. Home full charge is 4 hours. Full charge at rapid charge station is 1 hour. That's going from dead battery to 300 miles. Charge at tesla rapid charge station is free. Now if you don't have an hour to hang around you can have the dead bateries swapped out for the cost of a tank of gas. 30 - 40$. 2-4 minutes. That's what tesla was saying over a year ago.

Now don't know how that effects the 1000 full charge limitation which would give you 4 years if your commute were like mine near the top range of the car. Most people the salesman said would not use 1 full charge cycle a day but only part of one. Still limiting though.

Edited by JMS

no, you must pay the difference in cost between the battery you have and the new one, or return to swap back your charged battery for a 60-$80 dollar fee(assuming of course you don't have the 60 battery instead of the 85, in which case they do no do swaps)

did I mention this is appointment only?  :P

the swap stations are only to get more federal/state funding for Musk....just gimmick

Fancy gearhead stuff aside, the exterior styling does nothing for me.

Yeah but they've kind of changed the entire metaphor of driving..

There are so many cool useful features. Like using your phone to tell your car to heat itself up or cool itself down so you're comfortable when you get into it. Like telling your care to pull out of the parking spot so you don't have to ding the car next to you when you get into it, that's in there now... you know cadalac's auto parallel parks.. this thing has that, and back in park, and normal park.. The Tesla sales guy said the next package they were working on was to have the car self valet itself. you would still have to pull up near the parking spot, let's say at a restaurant.. But when it's time to leave you could have the car pick you up at the front of the restaurant all by itself.. That's supposed to be a future online patch just like the auto driving was. That would come in handy at the Skins game..

Today they have an ap which you can tell the car to heat itself up, open the garage door, pull out onto your driveway and wait for you... Which was pretty cool to see..

Oh and the integration with your phone is cool as hell too... coarse you have access to all your songs, and hands free phone, and contacts browsing.. and your calendar, streaming music. The car has a large built in tablet on the dash which gives you full access to a lot of your phone's features as well as it's own built in features.

Like being able to change your car's performance from commuting mode, to performance mode, to ludicrous performance mode..

Edited by JMS

Like telling your care to pull out of the parking spot so you don't have to ding the car next to you when you get into it, that's in there now... you know cadalac's auto parallel parks.. this thing has that, and back in park, and normal park.. The Tesla sales guy said the next package they were working on was to have the car self valet itself. you would still have to pull up near the parking spot, let's say at a restaurant.. But when it's time to leave you could have the car pick you up at the front of the restaurant all by itself.. That's supposed to be a future online patch just like the auto driving was. That would come in handy at the Skins game..

Yeah but how accurate and precise is all that?  What if your car hits another car?  Is Tesla going to pick up the charges? 

I'm very skeptical at a car driving itself.  There is no way to determine if it will mess up and hit something.

Yeah but how accurate and precise is all that?  What if your car hits another car?  Is Tesla going to pick up the charges? 

I'm very skeptical at a car driving itself.  There is no way to determine if it will mess up and hit something.

So right now the only time the car can auto drive ( without a driver onboard ) is when it's on private property... like your property.. pulling out of your drive way.. That's the car driving itself without anybody in it or watching it. ideally responding to your telephone command. Tesla is trying to get that "private property" ability to be expanded to shopping malls, restaurants etc in various areas..

Now as for a different example of pulling out of tight parking spaces, again when you aren't in the car.. In this case you are directly controlling that with the car fob. you hit a button and the car drives forward. The car is smart enough not to hit anything, or anybody; but you should wait until no other car is oncoming so no other car hit's your car... In this example, I was standing in front and to the side of the parked car.. Waited until no oncoming car there.. I hit the button.. The car immediately slides forward slowly out of the parking space. There is no engine to start, it's effectively instant power, no sound.. The tesla employee steps in front of the moving car, blocking it.. without my doing anything the car stops in front of him.

As for the auto driving capability while commuting, etc when you are riding on board... That's not the same as self driving.. It's more like a sophisticated cruze control than an auto pilot. The car is driving itself but you are the responsible driver as far as the law is concerned.. meaning you are monitoring everything the car is doing. Like cruze control if you touch the gas or the brake your commands override the cars.. That's also true when you move the steering wheel.

Now having said that I drove about 20 minutes on the beltway in heavy traffic without overruling the car once. The car slowed down, speed up, and even changed lanes all by itself. When the speed limit changed the car informed me by changing a display which holds the current speed limit, but I would have had to adjust the default speed myself if I wanted it to go slower or faster; the car did not do that automatically. I drove it.. or had the auto drive drive it off the beltway too.. Did great.. although it doesn't do traffic lights. You have to do those all by yourself.. So the auto drive feature is best used on the highway, not on roads with traffic lights etc.. although it did a serviceable job on the secondary roads. Didn't hit anybody, and when folks cut me off, the car slowed to keep good spacing between it and the car in front. When people turned in front of me the car slowed and than accelerated all by itself back up to it's default speed.

You aren't going to be texting or reading the newspaper when you auto drive.. you have to be fully alert.. So it's not exactly an auto pilot.. more like a sophisticated cruze control with steering.

Edited by JMS

I hear what you are saying but I don't think you are getting it. These cars don't get oil changes or brought to the dealer for a routine tune up. When you need a tune up or something isn't working right or even when they installed the auto driving function; all that is done remotely. You call up tesla and while your on the phone the tech logs into your car and can fix adjust many of the cars routine maintenance.

If it has to go into the shop, like a wreck. They come and pick up the car. So yes tesla does everything and your right that's an issue, it's also true there is less to do, and much of that can be done remotely.

Battery changes for the x and s can be done automated at the rapid charging stations tesla stated over a year ago. Don't know about the model 3 yet.

Tires? Brakes? Suspension?

These are all things that still need maintenance and service. They need to be done by a person, in person.

Tires? Brakes? Suspension?

These are all things that still need maintenance and service. They need to be done by a person, in person.

I don't think it's a good time to be in the filter business. Think about all the quick lube places that could theoretically disappear overnight like blockbuster video

As for tires, Costco. I don't think I've ever had suspension work done on a car before I guess that would be dealership

Brakes would still be an issue for many but I just don't see dedicated shops for just brakes

Not a good time to invest in the car repair biz the way the market is trending. It feels like the electric car is really gaining these past few years and will only accelerate. At some point it's going to hit critical mass and we will see the death of another industry that tech killed.

As for tires, Costco. I don't think I've ever had suspension work done on a car before I guess that would be dealership

Brakes would still be an issue for many but I just don't see dedicated shops for just brakes

Not a good time to invest in the car repair biz the way the market is trending. It feels like the electric car is really gaining these past few years and will only accelerate. At some point it's going to hit critical mass and we will see the death of another industry that tech killed.

Well there are shops that focus on tires, brakes, suspension, but muffler shops will definitely go out of business.

Body shops might actually have an increase in business, what with the quicker acceleration people aren't used to plus the low noise, so people won't hear the cars coming.