Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

The roads are still awful, that's for sure. Disappearing lanes, no merge areas and the like.

If your walking, I suggest wearing appropriate footwear and walking more carefully. :)

Trust me, I'm wearing boots and it's still like an ice rink. My main concern is the refreeze that is already starting.

Yuck yuck yuck

Another 3 hour delay tomorrow, they made the right call.

11.5 degrees F in upper Montgomery. 

Good Morning!

Yep - OPM 3 hours late again today - Thursday.

My wife keeps wondering why they haven't made more plow runs on our main route number road in front of our house.  There is still some packed ice on the road.  The ice is piled high on each side to the very edge of the white line and the curb is buried several feet within the ice.  Rural mail boxes are mostly buried with very difficult access for USPS.  Postal carriers have to literally climb a mountain of ice to deliver mail if the box hasn't been dug out by the owner.  Where are the plows?, she asks.  "They busy!", I explain to her.

Some residential areas still have not yet seen a plow.  Some neighborhoods have gotten together and hired a private plowing service to plow their county streets. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2016/01/26/waiting-for-the-snowplow/

Others have ganged together and began manually shoveling their county streets by hand - one shovelful at a time. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/as-region-returns-to-life-some-still-snowbound-feel-abandoned/2016/01/27/ae44f710-c526-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_snowstorm-915pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Public schools closed:  Alexandria City, Arlington, Faquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Montgomery, Howard, PG, Prince William, Spotslvania, Stafford all closed again today - Thursday.  In addition, Loudoun and Prince William have announced they will remain closed through Friday. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/weather-closures-in-the-dc-area-for-monday-jan-25/2016/01/23/13cbf26c-c1ff-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_closings-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Trust me, I'm wearing boots and it's still like an ice rink. My main concern is the refreeze that is already starting.

Yuck yuck yuck

Do us northerners have to give you guys a snow/ice 101?

;)

Taking a break from shoveling the driveway to catch up on things. Didn't think there would still be so much snow/ice (I don't think any of it melted). We had to park the car down the street and walk uphill to the driveway to start shoveling. Starting to think we should have stayed in Delaware for a while longer.

I've decided to take the plunge and get a damn snowblower. By doing we will be guarandamnteed to not have another significant snow.

Piece of advice. If you don't use it until next winter, make sure that it starts and runs without problem a few days before the storm is scheduled to him.

Archived