Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

So I spent a lot of time today looking for my wallet and keys. Haven't needed them because I've been housebound, so I didn't realize they were missing sooner. After I couldn't find them it dawned on me that the last time I had them was Friday night. Friday night I had gone on a walk with the family when there was about 5 inches of snow. I remembered that during our walk I flopped on the ground and made a snow angel. So I'm thinking that's when my wallet and keys fell out of my pockets. Only trouble is that now about 20 more inches of snow have come down and I don't remember exactly where I did the snow angel. Anyway I grab the snow shovel and head over to where I made the snow angel. After digging through the snow for about 20 minutes...Eureka! Like finding a needle in a haystack. But I'm glad to have my wallet and keys back.

Wow, 20 minutes isn't bad!

So I spent a lot of time today looking for my wallet and keys. Haven't needed them because I've been housebound, so I didn't realize they were missing sooner. After I couldn't find them it dawned on me that the last time I had them was Friday night. Friday night I had gone on a walk with the family when there was about 5 inches of snow. I remembered that during our walk I flopped on the ground and made a snow angel. So I'm thinking that's when my wallet and keys fell out of my pockets. Only trouble is that now about 20 more inches of snow have come down and I don't remember exactly where I did the snow angel. Anyway I grab the snow shovel and head over to where I made the snow angel. After digging through the snow for about 20 minutes...Eureka! Like finding a needle in a haystack. But I'm glad to have my wallet and keys back.

Wow, 20 minutes isn't bad!

So I spent a lot of time today looking for my wallet and keys.  Haven't needed them because I've been housebound, so I didn't realize they were missing sooner.  After I couldn't find them it dawned on me that the last time I had them was Friday night.  Friday night I had gone on a walk with the family when there was about 5 inches of snow.  I remembered that during our walk I flopped on the ground and made a snow angel.  So I'm thinking that's when my wallet and keys fell out of my pockets.  Only trouble is that now about 20 more inches of snow have come down and I don't remember exactly where I did the snow angel.  Anyway I grab the snow shovel and head over to where I made the snow angel.  After digging through the snow for about 20 minutes...Eureka!  Like finding a needle in a haystack.  But I'm glad to have my wallet and keys back.

You've used up your luck for the year and it's not even February. 

Can't sleep.

Current temp here in Brookeville, MD (upper Montgomery) is 6.6 degrees F and dropping fast.

OPM is closed Monday 1/25/16

Some of my own observations from yesterday -

Primary roads are in somewhat decent shape.  Many still have an inch or two of broken and loose ice or packed snow but others are almost clean.  All primary roads are still narrow with no shoulders and most multiple lane roads are one lane.  Nobody is getting stuck that I've seen but that's because very few if any 2 wheel drive vehicles are on the road.  Driving can be hazardous. 

Secondary roads are still in horrible shape and not accessible without a snow capable vehicle of some kind.  All of them are filled with thick and at least ankle-deep or shin-deep crushed ice.  Driving on them with a 2-wheel drive is completely out of the question.

Residential type roads - I don't know.  I haven't been on one.  I suspect most are completely snowed in judging from what I see on the secondary roads.

NWS:  At least 27 dead from the storm

WP:

The updated measurement at National Airport is 17.8 inches and nobody seems to be quite sure why it's so low.   Most locations nearby have snow close to 2 feet.  At the White House, 22 inches were recorded.  National Zoo - 22 inches. 

Up to 27 inches were recorded inside the Beltway (Bethesda).  Hyattsville 25 inches.  College Park 22 inches. 

Reston 28 inches, Leesburg 34 inches, Ashburn 36 inches.  Centreville 31 inches.

Damascus 29 inches, Gaithersburg 27 inches

Waldorf 23.5 inches. La Plata 15.5 inches.  Prince Frederick 15.5 inches.

All local state, county, and city governments are closed Monday.  Virtually all schools and universities are closed.

It could still be days before plows reach some residential streets.

Metro opens Monday at 7 AM - 5 PM with limited underground service on the Red, Orange, and Green lines.  Trains will run 20-25 mins apart with no fee. 

In the District, police said they would ticket and tow the cars of drivers who venture out and get stuck.  “If you come out, you get yourself stuck on one of our streets, I have to tell you: We will aggressively ticket you, and tow your vehicle,” D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) said Sunday. “We want to have tomorrow to keep cars off the road so we can continue to clear those major arterials." Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the tickets could cost as much as $750, and she warned that people also could be fined for walking in the street.

Both National and Dulles runways have been reported to be clear as of late Sunday night and limited service will begin Monday, but it will take days before normal service resumes.

Note: The Wash Post is suspending its paywall on the Web until Monday morning to provide readers unlimited access to weather coverage and important safety information.:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/regional/

EDIT:  5.2 degrees F @ 7:25 am - coldest point of the season so far

Yep, the good news is we should see temps get above freezing just about every day but the not so good news is that we'll see a lot of refreezing at night, especially with this snowpack.

Latest GFS came in a little colder with the mid-week system. Rain to snow. The EURO is nearly all snow I think. Definitely something we need to keep an eye on.

Models keep flipping back and forth between a very cool long range and cool but with some bumps of mild air. Either way, no repeat of '96 where temps shot up after that second storm and we had massive flooding.

Here in Richmond, we will be in the mid-40s today, and then the mid-50s on Tuesday.

Once we get above freezing Tuesday morning, we won't go back below freezing until Thursday morning.

They are saying we might hit 60 by Sunday. Mid 60s by next week.

This snow won't hang around. :)

Last Winter I was traveling to Boston every week during their record snowfalls. I was actually a bit south of Boston in Quincy. We stayed at the Marriott in Quincy which is way up on the top of a huge hill. On the road leading to the hotel was an area where huge dump trucks filled with snow dumped snow from surrounding areas. It was an insane 24/7 row of dump trucks coming & going for weeks & weeks. That snow mountain lasted until early June. This was in addition to dumping snow in the bay/ocean around Boston.

I'm guessing it's going to take something similar in the DC area to get things back to ~normal. 

My neighborhood is still a mess. Main roads just outside are okay though.

Wonder if I can squeeze out one more day off tomorrow, although to be honest besides being able to sleep in I get pretty bored and would kinda prefer going to work. I miss being a kid. :(

Build a snow fort by your front door. Wait for people to approach your front door. When they get in range, stand up and proclaim yourself to be the blizzard king and peg em with snowballs

While a lot of roads are open, those with 2 lanes in each direction really only have one (or one and a half) because of the snow.  Some side roads still haven't been plowed.  Traffic is going to be a mess when everyone has to go back to work because of all the missing travel lanes.

Still no plow. Word around the neighborhood is that the main roads are just fine but none of the residential areas yet....

Re Reagan's snow total, they lost their snow board - what they use to measure snow - somehow. The 17.8" is not correct at all. NWS is going to do some analysis and hopefully come up with a more accurate number. Crystal City (less than a mile away) measured 19.4". The correct total should be around that.

The DC government is open tomorrow and so is GWU. These people have to be smoking crack if they think conditions are good enough to reopen as normal. 

If the federal government opens tomorrow, it's going to be a traffic nightmare. There are several major roads that are still only single lane access and you are bound to get accidents tomorrow.

Storm that's threatening for Wednesday looks like it's going to head out to sea. A bit of rain looks like it'll still clip DC on Tuesday night. Again, tuesday looks like a strong day for melting, even though it'll practically make a tiny dent in what yall have.

Looking ahead, this weekend and in to next week looks like a spell of mild temps. Several days and nights in a row where it may not even dip to freezing. A lot of melting should take place starting Saturday and well in to next week. Looks like some rain will help contribute to that effort.

Now the issue of flooding has to be addressed.

Main roads are still a mess.  I went out tonight to work out and there are no turning lanes anywhere.  On top of it all, many two lane roads eventually turn into one due to how the snow was plowed.  You REALLY need to pay attention when driving because your lane may end abruptly. 

Archived