Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

You're area has been getting snow now for many years. Don't give me that ****.

It's called planning ahead. If this was the first time this had happened fine. But it's not. Seems every year now your area gets hit with a good storm. Then you all cry and whine about it.

As for Buffalo...yeah you're right no one's going there....at least no sane person.

Oh and I'm actually sure Buffalo could handle whatever onslaught of people you're talking about.

no, you don;t plan to make outlier storms have no impact.   YOu plan to handle the usual storms, and you plan to be able to minimize the damage and maximize the recovery from outlier storms.

if you are a cop, and you are about to storm a drug cartel... you wear a bullet proof vest.    If you are a cop walking into the station to start your shift you don;t wear the vest, even though police have been shot outside of stations before.  you take sensible precautions.... calibrated to the a-priori level of risk 

no, you don;t plan to make outlier storms have no impact. YOu plan to handle the usual storms, and you plan to be able to minimize the damage and maximize the recovery from outlier storms.

if you are a cop, and you are about to storm a drug cartel... you wear a bullet proof vest. If you are a cop walking into the station to start your shift you don;t wear the vest, even though police have been shot outside of stations before. you take sensible precautions.... calibrated to the a-priori level of risk

Lol every cop I know wears a bullet proof vest regularly. So yeah that argument holds no water.

And from I can tell...these storms have not been outliers for that area for years. You have at least 1 a year. That's not an outlier...it's an annual event.

Also, it's not like it's a HUGE expense. You already have the trucks...just put a plow on it. Or...is that too complicated? Maybe ya'll can watch a youtube video on it.

Lol every cop I know wears a bullet proof vest regularly. So yeah that argument holds no water.

And from I can tell...these storms have not been outliers for that area for years. You have at least 1 a year. That's not an outlier...it's an annual event.

Also, it's not like it's a HUGE expense. You already have the trucks...just put a plow on it. Or...is that too complicated? Maybe ya'll can watch a youtube video on it.

the least storm anywhere near this magnitude was in 2010. So it's been 6 years. So yeah...it's an outlier. Certainly not an annual event. We get snow every year. not usually multiple feet in 1 storm.

from what i understand DC has NEVER had a storm like this.    ... but yeah... there was a similiar enough one in 2012 (ish) and another in 2004 (ish) and 1997 (ish)

....and I'm sorry  the POINT of cop example/analogy wizzed by your head, while you were dancing with the snowflakes...  :)

the least storm anywhere near this magnitude was in 2010. So it's been 6 years. So yeah...it's an outlier. Certainly not an annual event. We get snow every year. not usually multiple feet in 1 storm.

Ah well ya'll sure do **** about it yearly.

This was a bad 1 for ya, but still don't understand the ill preparedness. It's not like it came out of nowhere. It was like that scene from Austin Powers of the security guard screaming because of the steam roller that was slowly making its way to you ;)

Mainly...just jealous...all the people I know are DYING for a storm like that. Crossing my finges for a huge February storm.

....and I'm sorry the POINT of cop example/analogy wizzed by your head, while you were dancing with the snowflakes... :)

Don't rub it in....I wish there were snowflakes here.

Ah well ya'll sure do **** about it yearly.

This was a bad 1 for ya, but still don't understand the ill preparedness. It's not like it came out of nowhere. It was like that scene from Austin Powers of the security guard screaming because of the steam roller that was slowly making its way to you ;)

It's not necessarilly being ill prepared. it's like a football team that plays once every 3 years being on the same field as their opponent who plays the game multiple times a year. No amount of preparation will suddenly make you better at it if you don't do it as often. Also, there's almost 3x the amount of people in the baltimore area as there are in the Buffalo area. So yeah. There will be more ****ing. Hell, watching the National news, they made more of a deal about it hitting NYC than anywhere else.

It's not necessarilly being ill prepared. it's like a football team that plays once every 3 years being on the same field as their opponent who plays the game multiple times a year. No amount of preparation will suddenly make you better at it if you don't do it as often. Also, there's almost 3x the amount of people in the baltimore area as there are in the Buffalo area. So yeah. There will be more ****ing. Hell, watching the National news, they made more of a deal about it hitting NYC than anywhere else.

Well Buffalo (besides sucking) is in a whole different category then anywhere. You say historic snowfall there, you're talking about 10 or more feet...

you guys had 8 feet of snow in one storm last November (of 2014) right?

I'm not in Buffalo. I'm 5 hours from it. But they had 9 feet in some areas. A friend of mine who went to school there said he had about 4 feet and about a mile or two away they had 9 feet in 1 storm

I've seen alot of pics of fairly recent winters there where trucks are going down the interstate and there are walls of snow on either side of them...and when I say walls...I mean WALLS.

Normally we get at least 1 storm that will give us 2-4 feet of snow depending on where in the valley you are.

no, you don;t plan to make outlier storms have no impact. YOu plan to handle the usual storms, and you plan to be able to minimize the damage and maximize the recovery from outlier storms.

if you are a cop, and you are about to storm a drug cartel... you wear a bullet proof vest. If you are a cop walking into the station to start your shift you don;t wear the vest, even though police have been shot outside of stations before. you take sensible precautions.... calibrated to the a-priori level of risk

I'm with you. I really am.

Except they couldn't even handle the inch and a half of snow that fell last Wednesday. There's no excuse for that.

I'm not in Buffalo. I'm 5 hours from it. But they had 9 feet in some areas. A friend of mine who went to school there said he had about 4 feet and about a mile or two away they had 9 feet in 1 storm

and i remember that they had school 3 days after the 9 feet of snow. if DC got even 4 feet of snow, schools would be closed for the whole month. maye even until march.

and i remember that they had school 3 days after the 9 feet of snow. if DC got even 4 feet of snow, schools would be closed for the whole month. maye even until march.

Nothing stops up here for snow. Maybe half days, or snow days for school due to ice, but work? Forget it. You are expected to come in unless it is insanely bad

I'm with you. I really am.

Except they couldn't even handle the inch and a half of snow that fell last Wednesday. There's no excuse for that.

that one was certainly more of a fail than this one .... i assume it is because everyone had their eyes on THIS one last wednesday

me included.  I slipped and busted my shoulder on the small snow during the wednesday scrimmage, and was mostly on the bench for the big game :(

Nothing stops up here for snow. Maybe half days, or snow days for school due to ice, but work? Forget it. You are expected to come in unless it is insanely bad

this area was more like that in the past.... but the simple fact is that it is better for the common good to be more cautious now.   The road systems here are at capacity.  one fender bender is enough to cause hundreds of thousands of man-hours of delays.  schools and the US govt are the single biggest users of the roads during rush hour here.   keeping them off the roads is enough to keep the arteries unclogged enough to allow the smaller, less experienced fleets of snow removal dudes to do their job.   

(and that ignores the individuals that are more in danger, because NOBODY has snow tires or chains here)

I've seen alot of pics of fairly recent winters there where trucks are going down the interstate and there are walls of snow on either side of them...and when I say walls...I mean WALLS.

one of the most awe-inspiring things in the world... everybody should see that!

the drive up to Tahoe during a bumper snow year is an incredible thing.   driving through canyons of snow on the side of the road.  It is beautiful, and feels like a cartoon, both.  There are no plows... but rather the super sucker-blower trucks that shoot the snow up over the 20 foot banks (and build them higher).   its crazy!

(but i will note that the infrastructure to keep those roads moving is enormous, and chains or snowtires are required by law---  you will be forced to go back down the mountain if you don;t have them)

I use all weather tires and they work fine. As for the volume of cars, I can't speak for that, but volume doesn't matter if your DOT keeps the roads relatively clear.

When there is the slightest possibility of snow or ice, the roads are salted and the plows are out waiting

me included. I slipped and busted my shoulder on the small snow during the wednesday scrimmage, and was mostly on the bench for the big game :(

Spare me the pity party. Like zoony pointed out, you were handed a bottle of opiods the day before getting snowed in. That's like hitting the power ball.

You got two free days and now two three hour delays after that.

Cry me a river.

I'm not calling for them to close, but if you're going to open at least make sure the area around your building has clear sidewalks so people who walk won't risk fracturing themselves. BTW if everyone opens at regular times tomorrow the trip in should be real fun with!!

I'm not calling for them to close, but if you're going to open at least make sure the area around your building has clear sidewalks so people who walk won't risk fracturing themselves. BTW if everyone opens at regular times tomorrow the trip in should be real fun with!!

The roads are still awful, that's for sure. Disappearing lanes, no merge areas and the like.

If your walking, I suggest wearing appropriate footwear and walking more carefully. :)

Archived