Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

Just landed at BWI

What's everyone whining about lol. Every paved road as far as the eye can see on our approach was cleared. Airport looks to have a few inches on the medians. Guess it is melting quickly

I do think it's melting fairly fast today, and the more pavement you expose the faster it melts.

That said, "the major roads by the airport and hotels are clear" is not anywhere near the same as "all the little one-way streets in the city with no room to move cars out of the way are clear".  I haven't even bothered to venture out, but I would bet the city is still a god awful mess.  There are plenty of neighborhoods where there just isn't room for a plow on a good day, let alone when dummies find creative ways to block the streets.

Ok...serious question.. does your areas have snow emergency parking rules?

I know up here that if it's 3 inches of snow, the parking rules go into effect. If youre not parked on the proper side of the street, you're car is towed. Doesn't matter how bad the roads are...tow trucks find a way

That's not really what I mean.  In some spots the streets are so narrow that parking any car on the side of the road means there's just enough room for a second car to squeeze by.  It's almost European.  So with the street covered in snow and ice and a vehicle as large as a plow trying to get through, forget it.  The cars would have to be parked somewhere else entirely, and I don't think there's any real accommodation for that.

It's not like that everywhere, just in certain spots.

I do think it's melting fairly fast today, and the more pavement you expose the faster it melts.

That said, "the major roads by the airport and hotels are clear" is not anywhere near the same as "all the little one-way streets in the city with no room to move cars out of the way are clear". I haven't even bothered to venture out, but I would bet the city is still a god awful mess. There are plenty of neighborhoods where there just isn't room for a plow on a good day, let alone when dummies find creative ways to block the streets.

Here, let's clean that up a little. Too wordy.

I'm a huge wuss

There that's better ;)

Must have been really bad in McLean...last Wednesday my mom talked to our lawn service and they said they'd come plow our driveway over the weekend once they were finished with the people they have contracts with. Today, still no sign of lawn service. We share a driveway with neighbors, and these guys came down our driveway apparently today offering to shovel the whole driveway (a third of a mile long), for money. Our neighbor paid $400, and the guys talked my mom into paying an extra 100, making it $500 from her.

Long story short, how does it take this long for our lawn service people to arrive to plow the driveway?? If not for the random guys walking around offering to shovel driveways, my driveway would still be completely buried in snow.

Must have been really bad in McLean...last Wednesday my mom talked to our lawn service and they said they'd come plow our driveway over the weekend once they were finished with the people they have contracts with. Today, still no sign of lawn service. We share a driveway with neighbors, and these guys came down our driveway apparently today offering to shovel the whole driveway (a third of a mile long), for money. Our neighbor paid $400, and the guys talked my mom into paying an extra 100, making it $500 from her.

Long story short, how does it take this long for our lawn service people to arrive to plow the driveway?? If not for the random guys walking around offering to shovel driveways, my driveway would still be completely buried in snow.

Bigger question is why your mom is paying to have hey driveway shoveled when she has a 23 year old son.

really hoping u don't have polio or are otherwise physically unable

3 hour late arrival per OPM

Yep. 

School closings can be found here and include Montgomery, PG, and Howard closed to name a few Maryland school systems:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/weather-closures-in-the-dc-area-for-monday-jan-25/2016/01/23/13cbf26c-c1ff-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html?hpid=hp_local-topic-chain_closings-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Temp this morning was 37.0 F in upper Montgomery which surprised me.  The temp is falling and is supposed to fall to about 34 by around mid morning.  Then it will rise back up to about 37 early in the afternoon before dropping again in the evening.  Tonight it will drop to around 16 by dawn. 

DC, of course, will be a few degrees warmer. 

Bigger question is why your mom is paying to have hey driveway shoveled when she has a 23 year old son.

really hoping u don't have polio or are otherwise physically unable

Haha nope none of the above. I'm at college in CT, which is like an 8 hour drive/6 hour train ride/1 hour flight away from home. So it was physically impossible for me to help out from that far away.

my kids school's are shut down for the rest of the week.

god willing, they'll keep them in school further into the summer. Then i can spend less on summer camp.

What will probably happen is since the State Emergency was declared, the schools will ask the states to forgive these dates. So they will not have to make them up.

"BOOYAKASHA"

Kinda why I am laughing at this thread. Even in Albany, the amount of snow you are saying would be a slight headache at best.

If it happened in Syracuse or Buffalo...4 feet is a dusting. Last year, they had 9 feet in certain areas by this time.

which..obviously means that they SHOULD invest in the equipment needed to clear that snow, and individuals should all have cars/tires/chains to deal with that snow.   Should SanDiego invest in the same amount of Snow removal equipment as Bufalo?  Should DC?   

... if not... should anybody expect those places to be as equipped to deal with an onslaught of snow.... ?

on the other hand, both SanDiego and DC have thousands of rooms of hotel space, to deal with onslaughts of visitors ... would Buffalo be able to deal with THAT onslaught...??    

(don't worry ..... Buffalo is safe... nobody is coming)

Archived