Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to the Linc this Saturday; any advice to make it out alive?

NewCliche21

My brother in law is an Eagles fan and offered to take me to the game this Saturday a few weeks back, and alcohol made me say yes.  I'm not a big guy, 5'7 at most and 150lb soaking wet, so intimidation isn't going to be on my side.

We're sitting in the 200's, but I'm just trying to see if anyone has any advice as to how to make it out of there since this is a super-important game.  I don't talk trash even at home, so I won't be doing it there, but I do get pissed off if we screw up.  Wearing my colors is up in the air (I'd rather not get into a fight if bad Kirk or bad Matt Jones show up), but anything else from those with experience?

Unless you instigate something I wouldn't expect anything to happen. Truth be told I think a lot of that stuff is overblown in terms of it being just a Philly thing. I don't expect you'd be less safe at FedEx.

I think you should cheer and get pissed all you want. Just a ignore anyone trying to give you a hard time

My brother in law is an Eagles fan and offered to take me to the game this Saturday a few weeks back, and alcohol made me say yes.  I'm not a big guy, 5'7 at most and 150lb soaking wet, so intimidation isn't going to be on my side.

We're sitting in the 200's, but I'm just trying to see if anyone has any advice as to how to make it out of there since this is a super-important game.  I don't talk trash even at home, so I won't be doing it there, but I do get pissed off if we screw up.  Wearing my colors is up in the air (I'd rather not get into a fight if bad Kirk or bad Matt Jones show up), but anything else from those with experience?

I've been to 1 game at the Vet and 1 at the Linc.  I survived.  

Generally, my theory on being an away team fan is to be a good guest.  I wore my 'Skins hat to each game, but it is black-on-black (Black hat with an embossed black insignia), so didn't really stand out.  I didn't say anything to anybody, and they generally left me alone. The game in the vet, we won (it was AGES ago when we were good), the game in the Linc we lost.

To my eye, most of the time, the away team fans that get in trouble are the loud-mouth SOBs who get drunk, run their yaps, and the combination of high emotion and alcohol ends in disaster.

I also don't drink when I go to games.  At FedEx or anywhere else.  It's just a thing for me. And the few times I've been accosted, and somebody wanted to try something, my sober self was able to get out of the situation without having to kick their ass. :P

Unless you instigate something I wouldn't expect anything to happen. Truth be told I think a lot of that stuff is overblown in terms of it being just a Philly thing. I don't expect you'd be less safe at FedEx.

I think you should cheer and get pissed all you want. Just a ignore anyone trying to give you a hard time

I get like 30% of the people saying this and 70% going the other way.  I know a lot of Eagles fans who're looking at me like I'm crazy, and I'm their therapist!, and I live in the Philly area so these aren't just randos who've never seen a game.

I also don't drink when I go to games.  At FedEx or anywhere else.  It's just a thing for me. And the few times I've been accosted, and somebody wanted to try something, my sober self was able to get out of the situation without having to kick their ass. :P

Funny to see this - it's a thing for me too. I generally don't drink at any sporting events because I don't want the distraction. After the game is another matter...

I can understand not wearing team colors as to not advertise and somewhat welcome drama. 

As long as you're not rubbing it in the faces of those near you, you should be okay.  Most anytime I've witnessed an altercation it starts with an opposing team fan being obnoxious and in particular, gloating when thier team has the upper hand.

I've been there twice,  I was dressed head to toe in burgundy and gold both times.  I got a lot of loud talk at me, which I ignored.  I had a couple of guys come up to me face to face and I just calmly talked about the teams and what to expect.  Each time, the conversations stayed there.  I told them I was there to root for my team.

Honestly, it reminded me of a middle school mentality.  Very juvenile up front, as if they think they've got a reputation to uphold.  Easily steered back to a football discussion with some level of respect for a fellow football fan. 

The fights I saw were between Eagles fans, and they were quickly taken out by cops.

Every single year this thread pops up, and i just enjoy reading the responses.

Here is what to expect - people saying rude things to you.

Here is what not to do - acknowledge or respond.

I go every year, since 1995 and i've never had an issue.  I've had extremely drunk fans try to do stupid things, but never allowed it to happen.  Walk away, etc.

Enjoy the game.  I'll be posting a tailgating thread soon - Unless Pez/Huly are running one for an away game.  Hope to see you there!

I've always found the best way to disarm opposing fans (the ones sitting next to you) is to ask them polite questions about their team.  Nothing rude, just complimentary type things.  For instance, 'did you guys sign Ertz to a long term deal?  He's a really good player.'  Or, 'I like the Ryan Mathews pick up for you guys.  Always liked him in San Diego.  He's good for what you guys like to do.'  Fans like to talk about their team.

After that, you can pull as hard for the Skins as you want.  They'll just know you as the nice Skins fan who showed class and they'll even shake your hand after they lose.  Keep your enemies closer kinda thing.

I know it sounds childish, but I don't wear team colors when I go to opposing stadiums.  I've just seen too much **** get started, and it's not worth the hassle for me.  Of course, the people around me will see me cheer for my team, but I don't get bothered when walking in/out of the stadium or in the parking lot where most fights take place.

I think the Linc is one of the safer stadiums I've been to. Most "tough" Eagles fans are guys playing a role. You should be able to spot those dudes and avoid them.

In all honesty, the most uncomfortable stadium has always been FedEx because of how stuffed with people it got at the height of capacity. 90,000 people crammed into a place designed for 60,000 people.

Dude, I've been too scared to go to the Linc in my 5 years of living here but I've gone to see my teams in every other sports visit Philly.

It really depends on how much verbal abuse you can take. You're going to get it and probably badly since this is a HUGE game. If being called foul words (possibly racial) doesn't get to you, you would be fine. But if you can't take that, be very careful and know where security is at all time especially if either side starts getting blown out.

My no. 1 rule is go plain clothes. I went to a Caps/Flyers PRESEASON game a few years back in a Caps hoodie and I had my life threatened lol. From then on, I don't wear my team's gear unless it's a Sixers game because they don't care about them. Wear black. Cheer lightly. DO NOT TALK **** and I would avoid getting wasted as well.

Realistically, you should be fine physically. Only real story I have of actual violence was a story my uncle told me where they threw rocks at him after we won there in 2005.

You need to HEAL thou brother, let him know its not too late to redeem and cleanse his soul of that nasty green evil virus that has plagued his soul.

The temptation is strong to fall into the hands of evil [ rhymes with eagle ] but he shall be sprinkled with the holy water which shall burn the green demons out of his body and mind, so show him the light, the passage way to a better way of living; living amongst the realm of Redskin Nation.

If that doesn't work, pepper spray and a battery catcher.

Archived