Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to the Linc this Saturday; any advice to make it out alive?

NewCliche21

Take it from a dude that lives here too: It ain't that bad.  If you have a thick skin and can deal with your standard drunk football fan cursing and swearing BS without taking it personally, you'll be fine and that's the worst you'll have to endure.  If you act right and don't escalate things yourself you'll be fine.  The stories of the days of old don't hold up anymore.  Comparatively they're kittens since leaving the Vet.

And you can rep the B&G too.  I go to games up here in 'skins gear most years and I've never had a serious problem.  Nothing has ever gotten physical.

Last time I was at Philly (years ago at old stadium), all I had on was my Skins hat. The guy behind me asked me to take it off because the guy BEHIND HIM was pissed and threatening to come across 2 rows to get to me. I took it off because I was with my wife.

Philly fans are bad, but just passionate. They want a winner and are pissed when a team like the Skins come to town who has bested them in all things over the years (especially trophies, aka coach Ryan years when Coach Gibbs tore them a new ass).

Leaving the stadium we saw a bus with the banner stating: "Welcome to Philadelphia, city of Brotherly Love, EXCEPT on Game day!"

That should tell you a lot.

Just be cool, be nice and remember someone was stabbed at FedEx after the Dallas game, on club level. If it can happen in our house, it can happen anywhere.

Philly is fine as a visiting fan. Dallas and the Giants always take big numbers, unfortunately we don't seem to, not sure why. All the idiots can't afford tickets and stay in the parking lot shouting things. Philly is very safety in numbers mentality, they can't fight they're too drunk. Use smarts in the parking lot and don't talk trash. I was at the last two games and had a great time with the Eagles fans in our section. I was with my girlfriend last time though and when Desean scored I couldn't help but celebrate. No real problems. If you remember the game last year there was also that fight in the 4th quarter after Baker crushed Foles, even though Foles was technically a defender.

Saturday night with the division on the line might be a little more hostile but theeir police are superb and the security are generally pretty good as well.If you have time, make sure you explore the city, say what you want about their sports fans, center city is one of the best downtown's in the country with fantastic restaurants and bars.

Ive been to games at both the Vet and the Linc. You are going to get ****ed with going in and out of the stadium if you wear your Skins gear. But that is to be expected. Dont retaliate and you will be fine. They are definitely more aggressive in the parking lot than Skins fans are at Fedex. Once your in your seat you wont have any issues. 

I went to the Stink last September when the Skins lost to the Eagles by 3. 

I was called asshole, ****, faggot, queer, racist, jerk, idiot, **** head, nazi, **** eater, pig ****er, etc. 

IT WAS ****ING AWESOME

I'm a bigger dude so no one stepped to me, they just hurled verbal insults in large groups. Very rarely will you get engaged one on one by one of their fans. 

After the game I was walking out of the stadium to the SEPTA when a group of 12 malnourished Caucasian males were calling me and Mrs. Boss_Hogg racists for wearing the team colors. Funny thing was the elf looking Eagles fan was wearing a #14 Riley Cooper jersey. Anyways, I walked over to them to the chants of "Asshole, Asshole, Asshole" and asked where the trophy case was located? One of them told me to go **** my self while the others booed and told me to go back to DC. Then this morbidly obese Eagles fan waddled over and said he would like to shove a trophy up my ass. To which I replied "I bet it won't be an Eagles trophy" The obese fan told me to **** off and waddled away. 

There were some cool Eagles fans too. Not all of them are jerks. 

Don't be afraid, it's not that bad. In fact, the most vitriol I ever got in another team's stadium was the Baltimore Ravens. The Baltimorons have the weird penis complex with DC and they took it out on us. 

Alls you need is thick skin and you'll be fine. 

Ive never been to the Linc or the Vet but have a Skins friend who has.  They basically told me that Philly has a bigger reputation than it warrants for being a dangerous place for opposing fans.  As others have said be ready for some verbal abuse and do your best to ignore the majority of it.

Ive been to several other stadiums and would repeat what others have said here.  Also agree with someone above who mentioned being friendly (if possible) to those sitting around you.  If they are football fans first (not Assholes first) some football discussion will be welcomed - even some gentle ribbing.  I was in Denver a few years ago.  Covered in Redskins gear.  Had a Redskins blanket which we draped over the edge of the stands (we were in the front row).  When we got there we friendly to those sitting around us and by the time the game started it was just a fun time.  I was even doing the standard Denver crowd chant "IN COM PLETE" when they missed a pass play and those sitting next to me just laughed.  

Did similar things in San Fran.

Bottom line ignore the drunken idiots or those who are looking for a fight and be friendly to fellow football fans.  Should be a great game.  Im jealous - wish I could go.

Edit:  Do one thing though.. from the time you get to the stadium till the time you leave.. count how many times you hear the very tired line of "foreskins suck"... Its funny how many opposing fans really like to use that one.

Ive never been to the Linc or the Vet but have a Skins friend who has.  They basically told me that Philly has a bigger reputation than it warrants for being a dangerous place for opposing fans.  As others have said be ready for some verbal abuse and do your best to ignore the majority of it.

Ive been to several other stadiums and would repeat what others have said here.  Also agree with someone above who mentioned being friendly (if possible) to those sitting around you.  If they are football fans first (not Assholes first) some football discussion will be welcomed - even some gentle ribbing.  I was in Denver a few years ago.  Covered in Redskins gear.  Had a Redskins blanket which we draped over the edge of the stands (we were in the front row).  When we got there we friendly to those sitting around us and by the time the game started it was just a fun time.  I was even doing the standard Denver crowd chant "IN COM PLETE" when they missed a pass play and those sitting next to me just laughed.  

Did similar things in San Fran.

Bottom line ignore the drunken idiots or those who are looking for a fight and be friendly to fellow football fans.  Should be a great game.  Im jealous - wish I could go.

Edit:  Do one thing though.. from the time you get to the stadium till the time you leave.. count how many times you hear the very tired line of "foreskins suck"... Its funny how many opposing fans really like to use that one.

Interestingly some Bears fan threw Nacho's at me the end of the game two weeks ago it went over my jacket. The other Bears fans around me were generally fine all game apart from the odd "take a seat" stuff, when I celebrated our TDs. I wasn't was talking trash or anything, so I guess it can happen anywhere. Most of the Bears fans were nice though and some quickly apologized. 

I went to the Stink last September when the Skins lost to the Eagles by 3. 

I was called asshole, ****, faggot, queer, racist, jerk, idiot, **** head, nazi, **** eater, pig ****er, etc. 

IT WAS ****ING AWESOME

I'm a bigger dude so no one stepped to me, they just hurled verbal insults in large groups. Very rarely will you get engaged one on one by one of their fans. 

After the game I was walking out of the stadium to the SEPTA when a group of 12 malnourished Caucasian males were calling me and Mrs. Boss_Hogg racists for wearing the team colors. Funny thing was the elf looking Eagles fan was wearing a #14 Riley Cooper jersey. Anyways, I walked over to them to the chants of "Asshole, Asshole, Asshole" and asked where the trophy case was located? One of them told me to go **** my self while the others booed and told me to go back to DC. Then this morbidly obese Eagles fan waddled over and said he would like to shove a trophy up my ass. To which I replied "I bet it won't be an Eagles trophy" The obese fan told me to **** off and waddled away. 

There were some cool Eagles fans too. Not all of them are jerks. 

Don't be afraid, it's not that bad. In fact, the most vitriol I ever got in another team's stadium was the Baltimore Ravens. The Baltimorons have the weird penis complex with DC and they took it out on us. 

Alls you need is thick skin and you'll be fine. 

That game was a little more heated, I think the Desean factor and the player fight didn't help too much

My no. 1 rule is go plain clothes.

Hate to admit it, but the only night game I've been to up there was in 2007. I've been to a good number of Skins-Eagles games before and since and have usually worn my gear and never had any issues (have always gone with my mother, who lives in the Philly area) but being that it was going to be a night game, decided I didn't want to deal with any crap and just went plain clothes. So we get to the stadium early (ran into Phil Daniels' wife on the walk there), go to our seats, and I decide to take a walk around the concourse to look at the food offerings.  While on my walk I get approached by a dude in a midnight green Eagles jersey, who says "You're a Redskins fan, aren't you?"  I just laughed and he went on his way, but still!  Unlike at FedEx, where a large majority of Skins fans have gear, EVERYONE at the Linc is decked out.

No issues with the game last year.  I even got into a conversation with a fan about how I couldn't understand why Buddy Ryan was held in higher regard than Andy Reid, and he went off on how awesome Buddy was, and I reminded him about the playoff contest after the Body Bag Game where the Skins smacked that around and got Buddy fired. He had no response.

But it should be interesting. This is probably the biggest Skins-Eagles game ever (aside from aforementioned playoff game).  I do remember a story related by someone who went to that game at the Vet, and said that as he was leaving, some dude said "Hey Redskins fan" and he turns to see a thermos coming straight for his head!

Over the last couple decades I have traveled to Philthy a dozen or so times while wearing my 'Skins garb. Many times I traveled alone. I have never had an issue nor have I been intimidated. The average intellect is overwhelming however. Last year I had a middle aged man approach me insisting that I was a racist for wearing a Redskins jersey. The ultimate irony was that he was wearing a Riley Cooper jersey. You can't make this crap up. I simply laughed and walked away.

I can understand not wearing team colors as to not advertise and somewhat welcome drama. 

As long as you're not rubbing it in the faces of those near you, you should be okay.  Most anytime I've witnessed an altercation it starts with an opposing team fan being obnoxious and in particular, gloating when thier team has the upper hand.

If they're gonna do anything beyond some minor heckling or jeering just for wearing the opposing team colors than he's screwed anyway, no matter what he does. Forget that too worried to rep your own colors mentality

I've been to 1 game at the Vet and 1 at the Linc.  I survived.  

Generally, my theory on being an away team fan is to be a good guest.  I wore my 'Skins hat to each game, but it is black-on-black (Black hat with an embossed black insignia), so didn't really stand out.  I didn't say anything to anybody, and they generally left me alone. The game in the vet, we won (it was AGES ago when we were good), the game in the Linc we lost.

To my eye, most of the time, the away team fans that get in trouble are the loud-mouth SOBs who get drunk, run their yaps, and the combination of high emotion and alcohol ends in disaster.

I also don't drink when I go to games.  At FedEx or anywhere else.  It's just a thing for me. And the few times I've been accosted, and somebody wanted to try something, my sober self was able to get out of the situation without having to kick their ass. :P

I always go full garb at away games but like you said, be a good guest. I always try to be overly polite and congenial to everyone around me prior to the game starting, try to get them in a joking mood. During the game, basically, don't be an ass and I am sure you will be fine. Philly fans are only slightly worse than any other contingency of fans. 

My experience in 2009 was easy peasy.  I went with all the in-laws - they're unfortunately all Eagle fans.  Maybe it was just having their presence which made it easy.

The only thing they started with me, was that I was wearing my Sean Taylor Jersey.  Many drunks would "ever so politely" remind me he's dead.  Weirdest thing ever, but wasn't surprising coming from Eagles fans.

We were also 3-7 going into the game.  That's a huge difference for you.  Skins lost by a FG when I went to fall to 3-8.  Much different for you all around this weekend.  A win and we're in.  Cher loud and cheer proud, but just keep the personal insults to a......JUST DON'T DO IT!

You'll be fine, enjoy the game, keep the memory of clinching with you forever.

HTTR

Archived