Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe this is a good thing?  Trump loses faith in Bannon to keep him out of trouble?  Thus minimizing Bannon's role?  I get it isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows but it seems like a silver lining on this huge storm cloud.

Superficially, sure.

Ultimately though, the problem is that Trump isn't deciding this because he thinks Bannon is not fit for the position. He's deciding it because there has been a loud and intense backlash against his administration from day one because of the way things are going.

It's been labeled incompetent across the board by democrats, republicans, and hundreds if not thousands of people working in various agencies. Fox News hosts have been blasting the administration for its incompetence.

He sees that, so now there's rumors he's not happy with Bannon.

Because he wants to be liked/loved, he wants the press to praise him.

Not exactly the driving force you want in a President...

• Like 3

Came across this as I was following my curiosity.  Info on international students studying in the US.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-study-abroad-students-20161124-story,amp.html?client=safari

I was actually trying to find out how many Iranian students were in the US.  Answer's over 12,000 as of a few months ago.  

so the ban(w/exceptions)  doesn't impact that many foreign students....relatively speaking.

They were probably the largest foreign college student group here before the revolution.....and still banned from some courses now.

One overlooked aspect is the impact financially to colleges and potentially to where these people were staying. Heck, even people that are choosing now not to leave the US impacts different places financially. If the average cost to coming to school here for these Iranian students is $10,000, that's $120,000,000 worth of tuition bills. While these costs may be small individually, costs do add up through the ripple effect of the ban. 

To say nothing of the reduction in tourist money coming into the country. 

I know, safety first since they were probably all really terrorists. 

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

To be fair, there was a plot for a Bowling Green massacre.

Link?

She's not even claiming that:

She's tweeted that she misspoke and meant terrorist, and links to this story:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qaeda-kentucky-us-dozens-terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

No mention of a plot for a Bowling Green massacre.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

Great blog post from a Christian pastor I have met several times.

http://joelrainey.blogspot.com/2017/02/straw-men-dead-children-and-syrian.html

Straw Men, Dead Children, and the Syrian Refugee Crisis

Over the past week, President Trump's Executive Order to indefinitely halt the Syrian Refugee program has caused quite a stir around the country.  "Fake News" on both sides of the political spectrum have added an annoying level of drama to the situation, and followers of Jesus in the midst have reached differing conclusions.

For me, this is an easy case to figure out.

My international work has involved spending time in refugee camps abroad, and I've also had the privilege of working closely with a number of organizations stateside that minister to this vulnerable segment of our global population.  Additionally, I've also had the good fortune to work with members of our intelligence community whose job it is to ensure the safety of American citizens by "vetting" potential refugees who seek resettlement in our country.  They tell me that our refugee vetting system is as tight as it gets.  I'm thankful.  This is as it should be.

My knowledge and experience with this issue brought me quickly to the conclusion that this order is unnecessary, harmful to Christian mission here and abroad, potentially deadly to those seeking safety from the worst humanitarian crisis in the last 200 years, and ineffective at truly keeping Americans safe.

More at link.

WARNING: the image in the title block may be disturbing to some.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It's semantics but we are talking about the same people / incident. Perhaps I'm misspeaking as well but they were terrorists who were trying to kill many people.

http://www.wave3.com/story/14756911/2-iraqi-nationalist-indicted-on-terrorism-charges-in-kentucky

It's not semantics in the way she brought it up, though...plus it's more than a little scary that pretty much anyway someone decides to characterize facts is more than OK as long as there's some level of truth in there somewhere. That's how the whole "Redskin = bloody indian scalp" hooey got passed on as fact for so long.

40 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It's semantics but we are talking about the same people / incident. Perhaps I'm misspeaking as well but they were terrorists who were trying to kill many people.

http://www.wave3.com/story/14756911/2-iraqi-nationalist-indicted-on-terrorism-charges-in-kentucky

The FBI figured out they were bad guys and set up a sting where they thought they were providing weapons to Al Qeada over seas.

It isn't semantics.

Nobody was killed in Bowling Green and there never was a plan to kill anybody in Bowling Green (at least as far as the public knows).

Edited by PeterMP