Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

@AsburySkinsFan

@TryTheBeal!

@BornaSkinsFan83

dumping this here: guys, I don't want to hamper your passion or disarm you of all edginess, and in one case, certainly not your wit, but you are all on a different kind of bubble than a political one and need to mind your tone...not offering any tutorials to anyone these days, so figure it out...find the ways to be edgy and passionate when the need is there and still avoid trouble

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, visionary said:

It can certainly sound really evil and ominous and things, if that's what you want to do with the news.  But I suspect that it at least can be the way they should have done things, before they implemented it.  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

It can certainly sound really evil and ominous and things, if that's what you want to do with the news.  But I suspect that it at least can be the way they should have done things, before they implemented it.  

I guess the question is, are they being told to be honest and accurate about the EO or are they being told to mislead and imply things that do not match the reality on the ground.

4 minutes ago, visionary said:

I guess the question is, are they being told to be honest and accurate about the EO or are they being told to mislead and imply things that do not match the reality on the ground.

Which is why somebody should leak the document.  Problem solved. :)

50 minutes ago, visionary said:

This playbook doesn't appear to address the issue of legal permanent residents. If you hold a passport from one of the seven countries your history and the background checks you have already been through seems irrelevant to the new EO.

I'd love to know what the rationale for this is? Why target legal permanent residents?

Edited by Corcaigh

there's reasonable multiple sources reporting that drafts of EA going farther in these matters are being circulated through the admin/some gop...i.e. they are wanting to put a permanent cap on immigration to not go beyond a certain percentage point in the general pop...a metric we've never endorses as it's been long considered a fundamental policy for racist/nationalist interests/govs...

on the over 900 career diplomats under the state dept who have signed the protest petition to his order as written/executed, i wonder how many will be fired...spicer makes it clear that they going to try to steamroll the civil service people in DC to be more like partisans on their side or "get out"..

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

there's reasonable multiple sources reporting that drafts of EA going farther in these matters are being circulated through the admin/some gop...i.e. they are wanting to put a permanent cap on immigration to not go beyond a certain percentage point in the general pop...a metric we've never endorses as it's been long considered a fundamental policy for racist/nationalist interests/govs...

There are immigrant caps per country for certain types of immigration.

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/reports-studies/immigration-forms-data

I'm OK with that as a principle - maybe offer waivers for valuable skills. I think our friends to the north do express immigration based on certain skills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

There are immigrant caps per country for certain types of immigration.

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/reports-studies/immigration-forms-data

I'm OK with that as a principle - maybe offer waivers for valuable skills. I think our friends to the north do express immigration based on certain skills.

TY--that does inform me more.

I suppose it's a good thing President Bannon is getting all his hyper racist stuff out the door early.

If they waited a while, Trump might be able to stack enough Federal Courts with judges who would support him; so doing this early improves chances of avoiding Constitutional crises.

50 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I suppose it's a good thing President Bannon is getting all his hyper racist stuff out the door early.

If they waited a while, Trump might be able to stack enough Federal Courts with judges who would support him; so doing this early improves chances of avoiding Constitutional crises.

I suspect there will be serious push back on this considering we just had a ruling on Dylan Roof.