Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Panthers Prediction thread: Battle of Wills

skins island connection

If--IF--the Skins do end up winning, it will be due to:

- Newton playing a sloppy game

- The Skins having no turnovers while the Panthers turn the ball over 2 or more times

- The Redskins' run game hitting on all cylinders

I'd say we have to hit DJax deep, fairly often. If we can't loosen up that defense early, we won't be able to do anything.

I think CT will be more of a player this week too, since he seems like the best shot to catch it out of the flat or the wheel routes.

Pretty sure our running game will be back to its woeful self this week also, especially if Morris plays a lot.

But who knows. It'll be on Kirks shoulders yet again and Garcon usually plays well in these games.

From what I've read about our practices this week. The team really seems driven to actually physically dominate this week. 

Panthers win in a relative squeaker. Like the Pat game, we make all sorts of mistakes and Carolina makes just 1 glaring one and we lose just 27-10. This board is full of doom and gloom until about Wednesday. Redskin fan posters who trashed the Redskins Sunday, Monday and Tuesday all of a sudden start trashing the Giant to their fans while refusing to here logical arguments from fellow Redskins fans who saw the game with clarity.

Redskins are going to have a hard time slowing down their running game and last weeks Redskins running game was a Saints defense thing, Imo.

Panthers 27 Redskins 16

I'm thinking that IF we slow down their running game, it will be because the return of our secondary starters caused a huge transformation in our run D. 

Not impossible.  But it would be shocking. 

I am enjoying the optimism here, I just hope it doesn't turn quickly to rage as unfulfilled hope often does (if we lose, of course, though I'm excited about us competing and think we've got a good shot).

It shouldn't, but yeah it probably will :)

If we lose we would be 4 - 6, and the Giants would still be 5 - 5.

We beat them next week, we're 5 - 6, the Giants are 5 - 6.

( Provided the Eagles don't win their next two, I think that would put us in first place with the head to head split with the Giants, and a better division record ).

- The Skins having no turnovers while the Panthers turn the ball over 2 or more times

you forgot the scenario where kirk balls the f out and you cry and say yes when he asks the world if they liked that.

See, I kinda disagree here, we're not gonna take this by being lucky and fallin' ass first into a win. We're going to have to take it from them.

Their D is going to come after Kirk, looking to bring out the earlier-int prone-version, but the line has been magnificent, Callahan has far exceeded expectations, but I don't see us running on them well. A big day for DeSean, opening up Garcon and Reed underneath? that's more likely IMO.

Gotta commit to contain, stuff their run game and keep Cam from getting lose, that will be the crux of this biscuit.

Greetings Redskins Nation,

I enjoyed reading through this prediction page and seeing everyone's thoughts on the outcome of today's game. I don't think the Panthers will fall for a trap game scenario by overlooking one opponent as a result of looking a week ahead. Coach RR did have to hold a special meeting Thursday to address the issue to maintain focus within the team and repeat his 'every week we shoot for 1-0" philosophy. We could lose any week, but it won't be due to that.

Some interesting trends to note: No team has scored more than 29 points against the Panthers this year, and the team that did was Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. However, you can look at the trend of the opponent's scoring and it has trended up quite a bit from Week 1. Outside of the Eagles game and Titans game each week the Panthers are allowing their opponents more points. Definitely something to watch.

We are also trending high in scoring. Apart from Week 1 where the Panthers have typically started slow, Cam Newton and company have scored at least 27 points in every single game. In other words, I don't predict this to be a low scoring game.

Injuries: We are missing our starting guard, our #1 receiver and our #2 CB. Andrew Norwell, the Panthers guard has been an absolute beast in the run game but has been sidelined for several weeks now with a hamstring injury. His replacement has been pretty good.

Charles Tilman has seemed slow at times and has been beat often at CB, but for the most part he's gotten the job done and has a knack for creating turnovers. His replacement, Bene Benwikere, actually has the ability to outperform him IMO, but Bene Benwikere is the only option decent at the nickel position this year. Moving Bene to CB #2 and a special teams player, Colin Jones, to the nickel, should be interesting to watch. Or perhaps they'll do something interesting with our first round pick Shaq Thompson instead. It should be interesting to watch how that plays out.

Philly Brown, our "#1" receiver has more snaps than any other receiver on the team. The problem is I don't feel the WR production will fall off much without him. He's been focused this year, but he's not been playing like you would expect of a team with a plethora of talented receivers, something the Panthers know nothing about. 

I think this ends up a decent game, but I have to pick my team on this one.    27-20, Panthers.

Greetings Redskins Nation,

Thanks for the kind of opposing-team research that I really value reading, here. Welcome.

What I note is that you didn't talk about what I think is the biggest matchup (or maybe the biggest mismatch. But I hope not) of the game.

Specifically, the NFLs #1 team in terms of rushing attempts per game, versus the NFLs worst defense in terms of yards given up per attempt.

Now, as a Redskins fan, there's things about our team that I can pick out, that give me some hope. We've been missing several starters in the secondary, for several weeks. I'm HOPING that our run D has sucked, because our LBs, and our play calling, has been focused on helping out the backups in our secondary.

HOPEFULLY, the return of our secondary means our run D improves.

Cause if it doesn't, you folks are gonna shove it down our throats.

I'd say we have to hit DJax deep, fairly often. If we can't loosen up that defense early, we won't be able to do anything.

I think CT will be more of a player this week too, since he seems like the best shot to catch it out of the flat or the wheel routes.

Pretty sure our running game will be back to its woeful self this week also, especially if Morris plays a lot.

But who knows. It'll be on Kirks shoulders yet again and Garcon usually plays well in these games.

From what I've read about our practices this week. The team really seems driven to actually physically dominate this week. 

If the Skins do win, I think it'll be more long, methodical drives than anything else...although in my scenario the defense could be giving the offense a short field a couple of times during the game.

I take it back...if the Skins do win, you may be right lol...

I am enjoying the optimism here, I just hope it doesn't turn quickly to rage as unfulfilled hope often does (if we lose, of course, though I'm excited about us competing and think we've got a good shot).

Sometimes I think the worst thing the team has done is give some of you emotional weirdos hope, and they get disproportionately punished for it. :P

You jinxed us with this post!  :)   For me losing on the road to Carolina is nothing to be ashamed of.   The refs killed us early but outside of that its disappointing that they playing so poorly.    They have been good to very good at home.  It's just odd how bad they've been on the road.  I still like Kirk and the potential of the passing game.   But the inability to run or stop the run is at time cringe worthy to watch.  Even during our long run of poor seasons -- running the ball and stopping the run has been average to good. 

I've been fairly patient with the coaching staff since the start of the season -- I'll stick to it -- but for the moment the arrow is pointing down for me when it comes to Joe Barry.  

I'd like to see some fight here in the last quarter.

I got it all backwards lol...

- Cousins played a sloppy game

- The Skins turned the ball over 2 or more times while the Panthers didn't turn it over at all (or did they?)

- The Panthers' run game hit on all cylinders (well, enough cylinders lol)

you forgot the scenario where kirk balls the f out and you cry and say yes when he asks the world if they liked that.

Yeah, how could I have forgotten that.

Archived