Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Panthers Prediction thread: Battle of Wills

skins island connection

When: 1:00p.m.

Where: Bank of America stadium

Sunday, the Redskins travel to Carolina to take on the Panthers, which happens to be the 5th undefeated team the Redskins have played this season. Pretty brutal when you look at it that way.

Sunday, Carolina had little trouble with a struggling Titans team, winning 24-10, Cam Newton & co. tightened up their defense and got a win.

The Redskins however, opened a lot of eyes. After matching scores the first few series, the Redskins own defense tightened down and cruised, in all facets of the game, to a blow-out win; something we've not been used to in a long time. Cousins threw for 300+ yds & 4 TDs, the screen plays were working to perfection, and the defense got some turnovers and tightened the vise on a Saints team who can and has put up some high scoring games of their own.

This week will most likely be different, but right now I'd believe anything; this has been an unusual year to me, most of the dominant teams are falling apart, Carolina is undefeated this season, Cam is a big physical QB who will not go down with a simple shoulder tackle, it will take a physical defense to contain him and his scrambling ability.

Their defense isn't bad either; they play a physical game, and are playing very well. This will be the biggest challenge thus far for Cousins & co., who last week put up 47 points on a Saints team whose defense has fallen apart, but that's how you play them.

Look for a very physical battle this sunday; the Panthers have never gotten this unbeaten record before, and its quite possible it could be getting in their heads and possibly overlook things here and there, which is why the Redskins need to be opportunistic at every chance, and play their most physical and smart game of the year, and an upset could be in the works.

In the end, its difficult to call, but I smell upset.

When the final whistle blows and the cat fur flies,

Redskins 19

Panthers 16

1st correct score prediction wins a new Redskins cap or beanie !!

23 Redskins 20 Panthers

I think we will be able to out speed the Panthers on Offense, while still matching up fairly well physically.

Inserting Compton into the line up, seems to be paying off for the middle of our defense and having all 3 of our top corners in, JJ playing well, should really be able to frustrate Cam (who I think is excellent and I'm excited to watch him play) into a few mistakes or having to run too often. There were a couple times Brees was able to slip under some of our larger D linemen and that won't happen this week.

I'm sure we're going to see some head scratchers from our defense, especially our ILBs and Safeties, but over all, I don't think they can out muscle our defense. 

If we come out tight and balling? We win. If we make mistakes/penalties and are too high from the Saints/unfocused? We lose.

Im calling for an upset, but my gut says we lose a close one. This aint NE or Brady. But we have to be very sharp and focused.

Grudes needs to pull up all of our losses on video this week for the team to remember that ugly taste in their mouths. Wash out the Saints and get ready to punch the Panthers in the mouth, on the road. This is a statement game. It's a critical win for the NFCE, not to mention the Giants game at home right behind it. Win those two? And we are really turning the corner.

I wish this was a home game, we haven't played nearly as good on the road, but sooner or later that has to change, right? I think this Redskins team is growing up faster than many expected, and if they can limit the mistakes on the road, they can pull off this upset. The Redskins have to win this game and next week if they want to stay in the race and take over 1st place in the division, the Panthers don't, they are well ahead. This should be enough to make the Redskins rise to the occasion, but until they do I have to go with the Panthers :(

Redskins 13

Panthers  24

As long as it is not to anybody in the division we do have a game to give and would still be in control of our own destiny. However, winning this game would be the "steal" that makes you think that this team might really be good and not just a bad team getting lucky. Had we not committed so many unforced errors against the Pats that game would have at least been close if not a win. For instance had two of the dropped passes been caught, we could have seen a 21 point swing (of course, had those passes not been dropped, you never know how the Pats would have responded). If we don't do that, we can win this game.

Carolina is a soft 9-0 team. More like a wildcard team that was lucky to play all of the league's worst teams. Carolina has played 1 team with a winning record which was Green Bay, but Green Bay hasn't been themselves in the last month. At least we played against teams with a lot of momentum.

Redskins 31

Carolina 23

Carolina is sneaky good.  They are hard to move the ball on.

I'm not sure what to expect in this one because the last two times we've played them we had two QBs who hated getting the ball out quickly.

They don't score a ton, but they also don't give up a ton of points. 

I'd like to think if it's close at the end, and we have the ball last, we win.  I have the same feeling for Carolina, though.

I think as long as the offensive weapons bring their hands with them, we have a shot. 

I don't have a score, but I see us winning this one in an ugly throwback.

I'm really not qualified to post in these threads, and I'm still floating from yesterday.  but my joke post is . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

I think we've got a legit shot.  (Which probably sounds like hubris, considering we're discussing a 4-5 team playing a 9-0 team, in their house.)  But I think what probably happens is, we lose by 7-10. 

Nothing better than posting in prediction threads after a day like yesterday!!!

Skins - 41

Panthers - 17

Ok, I just re-read what I posted....back to reality

Us - 22

Them - 25

Unless we learn how to tackle (I'm talking to you Goldson) could be a long day with Cam and Stewart. The Panthers unlike the Saints will not bail on the run game.

Unless we learn how to tackle (I'm talking to you Goldson) could be a long day with Cam and Stewart. The Panthers unlike the Saints will not bail on the run game.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that we've been getting run over, lately, because our LBs have been having to help out the secondary. Hopefully, now that they're more healthy, the run D toughens up to more like the begining of the season.

Carolina is not particularly amazing on either side of the ball except for one super key area: Turnovers.  When you have an average offense, and average defense yardage wise, but you dont turn the ball over and you force lots of turnovers, that creates a recipe for being very good.

They are very good, and very disciplined.  While we are improved from last year, we are not yet.  Also, this game is on the road, where we are terrible, rather than at home, where we are unbeatable.

Panthers 24-9

While I am so very excited about the win against the Saints, I have to temper my emotions and come back to Earth. The Panthers are an incredibly talented 9-0 team and I just think the Redskins still have a ways to go before they can play a team like the Panthers on the road and expect to win. Therefore...

Panthers  38

Skins 23

Archived