Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Panthers Prediction thread: Battle of Wills

skins island connection

Oh leave it out.

Xs and Os were all where they needed to be today.

Execution was not.

I am all for walking it off, next game is the be all and end all.   Though one thing directed at Joe Barry, we can talk personnel, lack of talent and i am all for that argument -- but Joe has just about the same D Line (if anything upgraded) from last year but the defense gives up more than 5 yards a carry per game -- that's historically bad.   They give up about 25 yards a game more on the ground than last year and about a yard more a carry -- that's a big regression.  They can't even stop the run when they know the run is coming on obvious run downs.  When a defender looks like they have a grip on the running back and are about to take him down -- too many times the running back bounces off the defender like he's Spiderman and scurries for another 5 yards.    To me that's the hard thing for me to watch.  

I remain feeling OK to good about the passing game and good for the moment with the overall direction of the team but its hard for me to brush aside something which I don't attribute to personnel and that is stopping the run -- its basically the same personnel in play unless Pot Roast is some major downgrade at NT for stopping the run?

1-12 on the road under Gruden. The coach is very much a part of it.

This team sucks.

If we were much better at home I'd agree.

If we finish the season 7-1 at home and 0-8 on the road, you'll be onto something.  If we don't, you're not. 

As of now, we've beat **** at home and lost to first place teams and another playoff team on the road.

Two of which are still undefeated.  Relax.

After today its hard to dispute the statement "the team sucks," but I also think the Redskins are a work in progress and are in a better state than they were the past two years.  I still think we are going to have to suffer through a couple of "Norv"-like years (this season and probably next season) before the team really starts to hit its stride.

Away losses -

Giants (1st place)

Falcons (Wild Card)

Jets (.500)

Pats (1st place/undefeated)

Panthers (1st place/undefeated)

Home loss -

Miami

Every team we've lost to is in a playoff spot right now except Miami and NYJ.  And the Jets are half a game out for that wild card.

So spare me the "we suck on the road" crap.

After today its hard to dispute the statement "the team sucks," but I also think the Redskins are a work in progress and are in a better state than they were the past two years.  I still think we are going to have to suffer through a couple of "Norv"-like years (this season and probably next season) before the team really starts to hit its stride.

I agree with this, too.  Been saying it all year.  Just a little sour today because every time we got something going we'd be fumbling the ball.

Yeah but to be fair DC9, aside from the Falcons game (and they aren't even looking very good now), we've also gotten pretty much smoked on the road.

But its pretty much semantics right now. The Skins are very much a work in progress........seemingly not as bad as 2013-14, but not ready for prime time yet.

Away losses -

Giants (1st place)

Falcons (Wild Card)

Jets (.500)

Home loss -

Miami

Every team we've lost to is in a playoff spot right now except Miami and NYJ. And the Jets are half a game out for that wild card.

I agree with this, too. Been saying it all year. Just a little sour today because every time we got something going we'd be fumbling the ball.

Yeah this team's bad overall, but the 1-12 road record under Gruden with 0-5 this year is mainly on the coach. You pointed out the quality of the road opponents, but you didn't point out they were all blow out loses with exception of Atlanta. They follow up a good performance with a stinker. They've only won back to back games once going back to last year. You can't just say it's poor execution by the players. Something adverse happens and the players all have the same "deer in head lights" look on there face that Gruden does. They've taken on his personality.

Yeah this team's bad overall, but the 1-12 road record under Gruden with 0-5 this year is mainly on the coach. You pointed out the quality of the road opponents, but you didn't point out they were all blow out loses with exception of Atlanta. They follow up a good performance with a stinker. They've only won back to back games once going back to last year. You can't just say it's poor execution by the players. Something adverse happens and the players all have the same "deer in head lights" look on there face that Gruden does. They've taken on his personality.

It is semantics, as was said above.

If we get a team on the same level as us on the road, we give them a good game, hopefully.  Maybe snatch a win.  But we're talking about the best teams in the league and a match up nightmare (the Jets).  The Giants, we could've and should've done better, but it got out of hand early.

Right now, the only team on the road that we have that matches that description would be Philly and Dallas.

The Bears will be interesting, but they also just started humming.  Hopefully by the time we get to that game we're on a 2 gamer.

We're just not that good yet.  We're improving in areas, but like today, if **** gets out of hand early, we just don't have an answer.  Tampa Bay is a different story, they're blah to begin with...

I'm just not sure how you put that on the coach unless you don't like him.

Yeah but to be fair DC9, aside from the Falcons game (and they aren't even looking very good now), we've also gotten pretty much smoked on the road.

But its pretty much semantics right now. The Skins are very much a work in progress........seemingly not as bad as 2013-14, but not ready for prime time yet.

Looking back, I think we'd agree that the 2010-2011 Seahawks were a team on the cusp of becoming one the best in the league. 2010 was the season that they won the West at 7-9 (oddly, we could be tied for first in the East at 5-6 next week). That year, they lost their 9 games by margins of: 17, 17, 30, 34, 15, 18, 19, 16, and 23. The following year they lost 3 of their games by 16, 24, and 22. As they were being built my McCloughan/coached by Carroll and becoming who they've been since 2012, they had some ugly detours. It happens.

I'm not saying that we're destined to follow in their footsteps, but we are being built by the same guy. We've also won two games under Gruden (by 31 last year vs. Jacksonville and by 33 this year vs. New Orleans) in ways I haven't seen since mid-Norv. We are on the right track, but still have enough holes where we can spiral out of control. 

All 4 of our real ugly losses have the same formula. We make a bunch of mistakes or have a few things go against us and then it all snowballs. The Giants game was 9-0 in a blink and we never were able to sustain that one drive to make them uncomfortable. The Jets game was tight for 2 quarters and then an avalanche of turnovers killed us. The Pats game became a laugher due to a frachise-high number of drops over the past 10 years. This game turned on another ridiculous number of fumbles and a couple of game-swinging penalties. 

I understand the concern over a coach who's 4-12 and now 4-6 with only 1 road win, but I think we have to give him more time. To look at it another way, we've complained for 2 decades how we have nothing resembling a homefield advantage. At least Gruden is winning a nice number of home games. 

Away losses -

Giants (1st place)

Falcons (Wild Card)

Jets (.500)

Home loss -

Miami

Every team we've lost to is in a playoff spot right now except Miami and NYJ.  And the Jets are half a game out for that wild card.

We're 1-12 under Gruden on the road. We do suck on the road.

Battle for first place next week.

Walk it off.

This upcoming game vs the Giants is essentially a playoff game, IMO. I just don't see this team coming back to make any noise if they lose this one at home.

I am really disheartened how little fight this team showed after getting jobbed by tge officials on the Culliver TD penalty. It's like they crawled into a shell and never came out

I am really disheartened how little fight this team showed after getting jobbed by tge officials on the Culliver TD penalty. It's like they crawled into a shell and never came out

This.

It was pretty sad, the sideline looked a lot like me watching the game. Just lifelessly waiting for it to be over.

The broadcast team took note and made mention of it several times. Then Hatcher had to go on his tangent about how they work hard every week like the other teams and get screwed because of the team name. As if the team has a belief they can't beat the refs so just take the day off. Another *near national showing of embarrassment.

I'll also say this... in 2012 we lost to the Panthers... then we went on a bit of a run.

No sweat.  We just need to be professional at practice this week and put in a professional effort on Sunday.

Eli is going to look a lot easier this week because you don't have to prepare for his ability to run.  That's no disrespect to him, but it's true.

All 4 of our real ugly losses have the same formula. We make a bunch of mistakes or have a few things go against us and then it all snowballs. The Giants game was 9-0 in a blink and we never were able to sustain that one drive to make them uncomfortable. The Jets game was tight for 2 quarters and then an avalanche of turnovers killed us. The Pats game became a laugher due to a frachise-high number of drops over the past 10 years. This game turned on another ridiculous number of fumbles and a couple of game-swinging penalties. 

I understand the concern over a coach who's 4-12 and now 4-6 with only 1 road win, but I think we have to give him more time. To look at it another way, we've complained for 2 decades how we have nothing resembling a homefield advantage. At least Gruden is winning a nice number of home games. 

Not a big Jay guy (don't hate him either) but I am ok with letting things play out -- see more of the movie.  I am unimpressed so far with Joe Barry.  Impressed more than most with Kirk.   As for the heck we play better teams on the road so there isn't anything more to it than that -- I am somewhere in the middle on this.  Yes, the opponents have been tougher on the road.   But I do think there is something to why they are they sloppier on the road and one snowball leads to an avalanche versus them bouncing back -- what that something is, you got me.  But 1-12 on the road under Jay -- that's a sizable sample and that's the worst in the NFL in that department and no the Redskins for their faults are not the worst team in the NFL.  Seems like there might be a little more to it than pure coincidence.

Having said that, they have time to bounce back with some winnable games on the road coming up.  Next game is a great test -- can they bounce back mentally from this rout in a high stakes division game with first place on the line against a team that has recently from some odd reason owned them.

Archived