Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Drug compounder offers cheap version of costly Turing drug

Dan T.

Remember the guy who bought the drug company that was the only source of Daraprim, a drug on the market for 62 years used by cancer patients, AIDS patients, and pregnant women, so that he could jack up the price from $13.50  to $750 a tablet?  His name is Martin Shkreli.  The 32 year old former hedge fund manager bought Turing Pharmeceuticals for $55 million with the intent to rake in big bucks by obscenely raising the price of the sole-source drug.

After a huge public relations backlash, Shkreli said he would lower the price - but he hasn't.

Now another pharmaceutical company out of San Diego has announced they will also produce the drug and sell it - for ONE DOLLAR a dose.  San Diego-based Imprimis Pharmaceuticals mixes approved drug ingredients to fill individual patient prescriptions.  They announced they will sell a 100 pill bottle of Daraprim for $99.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c1264e78de574d869519f169d5a1a878/drug-company-offers-cheap-version-costly-turing-drug

The $1 drug has to jump through some hoops to circumvent the FDA, since it's not going through the usual approval process.  Hopefully not too many, and it can be distributed widely enough to help (while also being safe), so it's not quite a total solution, but hopefully everyone can work together, and shove a big fat screw you right up Shkreli's smug ass.

Right, if he had raised the price incrementally then maybe no one would have noticed. But he killed his golden goose right away. Who knows still may be the golden goose, since this is real life and dirt ball bad guys get to win more than we like. 

I assume no one had gotten into the game of making that specific drug because it sold for so little. Getting INTO manufacturing a drug from the cold can't be cheap.

All he did was invite competition into a weak monopoly. 

So, to focus on a different aspect:

Why didn't they offer this drug for $1/dose before?

It sounds good, but in reality drug companies spend billions of dollars on R&D.  More to get drugs through FDA.  If they get one that is very popular, they are going to charge for it to get that money back.  Also, the mix of insurance and Medicare means that most folks pay a portion of the cost with the rest coming from insurance - hence the ability to charge large sums of money for them.

Also, the mix of insurance and Medicare

which means We The People end up footing part of that cost, and we should be even more outraged at this price gouging. It's not capitalism, it's fleecing the American taxpayers. Maybe I'm drawing a distinction where there isn't any. 

Good.

Now all we need is him to have a snorkeling accident.

~Bang

Nah...more of a public takedown like illegal trading, or money laundering, or illegal hunting of an animal...something g else that the public can rally behind and embarrass this asshole

which means We The People end up footing part of that cost, and we should be even more outraged at this price gouging. It's not capitalism, it's fleecing the American taxpayers. Maybe I'm drawing a distinction where there isn't any. 

Not to get too far away from the original premise, but like other areas, if there is money that can only be spent in that area (medicare, student loans, etc), the prices will always go up to consume that money.

As for this guy, I can't get too upset with him as he didn't do anything illegal.  Was it a dick-head move, certainly, but not like the blatant thievery that goes on at many places.  I also get a great laugh when another company got back over on him and cut the price, making his investment worthless.

Karma babe, it's a ****.

It sounds good, but in reality drug companies spend billions of dollars on R&D.  More to get drugs through FDA.  If they get one that is very popular, they are going to charge for it to get that money back.  Also, the mix of insurance and Medicare means that most folks pay a portion of the cost with the rest coming from insurance - hence the ability to charge large sums of money for them.

Right.

It took this jackass to get someone to do it, but obviously it could be done.

Which tells me it could be done in more cases, but isn't... because no one's made a big stink over the prices? or, as others have suggested, they've just slowly increased prices over time as to not outrage anyone?

ie: other people are price gouging us but not enough, or not fast enough, to cause internet outrage.

At the end of the day this jackass everyone hates has essentially caused a $13/dose medication to be reduced to $1/dose. Maybe we need more people like him?

Right.

It took this jackass to get someone to do it, but obviously it could be done.

Which tells me it could be done in more cases, but isn't... because no one's made a big stink over the prices? or, as others have suggested, they've just slowly increased prices over time as to not outrage anyone?

ie: other people are price gouging us but not enough, or not fast enough, to cause internet outrage.

At the end of the day this jackass everyone hates has essentially caused a $13/dose medication to be reduced to $1/dose. Maybe we need more people like him?

It should be pointed out that since this is a special formulation company and not a (larger) mass producing company, they don't have the same FDA regulations so they don't have the same associated costs and as a result have lower over head.

I don't know if the difference is $13 vs. $1 difference.

The other thing is in general prices are set by supply and demand.  Not by production costs.  There is clearly a sweet spot in terms of pricing generics with respect to the company that is making them is making good money, but they aren't charging so much that it is going to encourage the competition to go through the FDA approval process.  For various reasons (partly associated with the fact that this guy was going to control supply, which would make it harder for companies get their drug through the FDA approval process), this guy thought that sweet spot was much higher than most companies in similar situations.

The curious question is how long is the FDA going to allow this company to do this.  In most cases, these things aren't allowed to continue indefinitely making the same medicine.

This sort of thing is generally reserved for one off cases where there might be a need for a few months because the company that normally produces the drug can't keep up with demand or you have some sort very small population that for medical reasons can't take the thing that has actually passes FDA regulations.

I don't think there is a case where the FDA has allowed this to happen where there was enough of an FDA regulated drug and the people using the non-approved drug/process didn't have a medical reason they couldn't use the FDA regulated drug.

I'd rather see this spark a review of the FDA approval process with respect to generic, the associated costs, and hurdles rather than create this odd situation of having a special formulations company circumvent the normal (legal) process because of this guys actions.

I could not figure out how that dude was able to do that for a generic. Once a patent has run out, anybody can produce a drug - only the marketing name stays protected. It was only a matter of time before somebody stepped in.

As I understand it, it has to do with a flaw in the safety process.  If you are going to produce a generic drug you have to prove that it is chemically identical to the original drug so that you don't have to jump through the same hoops as a new drug does.  

To prove that you need access to the chemical process for the original drug.  That mean Shkreli had to give you access.   He wouldn't do that.   Because he's scum. 

You can also say dickpit.

Clearly, they are over sensitive about the 9/11 attacks here. Can't have anyone talking about the piloting area of airplanes.

And don't forget the grudge they hold against poor Steve A****er. I mean sure, maybe being called the "Smiling Assassin" is asking for some hate, but it seems a bit much, ya know?

If there really is a God He'd see to it that this doiuchebag gets AIDS or the form of cancer that this drug can treat.

He's one rich SOB, so he'll be able to afford it.

How about a form it WON'T treat?  That's karma.  You get what you give. 

(I'm usually not that dark, but damn...this is one of the "topics" that brings out the worst in many folks I've spoken to.)

This drug has been out a looong time. That's part of why it was so cheap before the takeover. I wonder if a lot of generic companies had the recipe, but it just wasn't worth the bang to their buck to produce it. That may be why they were able to produce it so quickly (and cheaply.)

Mind you, this pricing certainly seems to be a great PR move for the generic maker as well a big ole f you to the hedge hole.

Archived