Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Drug compounder offers cheap version of costly Turing drug

Dan T.

Dickwad Price Gouger Reneges on Promise to Lower Drug Price

November 27, 2015 - After weeks of criticism from patients, doctors and other drugmakers for hiking a life-saving medicine's price more than fifty-fold, Turing Pharmaceuticals is reneging on its pledge to cut the $750-per-pill price.

Instead, the small biotech company is reducing what it charges hospitals, by up to 50 percent, for its parasitic infection treatment, Daraprim. Most patients' copayments will be capped at $10 or less a month. But insurers will be stuck with the bulk of the $750 tab. That drives up future treatment and insurance costs.

Daraprim is a 62-year-old pill whose patent expired decades ago. It's the preferred treatment for a rare parasitic infection, toxoplasmosis, which mainly threatens people with weak immune systems, such as HIV and organ transplant patients, and pregnant women, because it can kill their baby.

Dr. Carlos del Rio, chairman of the HIV Medicine Association, called Turing's changes "just window dressing."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c5e5c023b9f248ae8e6af014e02fc54d/turing-reneges-drug-price-cut-rivals-version-sells-well

• 3 weeks later...

Shkreli set himself up as a target.  And now he's been targeted. 

----

So we can say "dickwad" but we can't say "****pit"?

I'm pretty sure you can say slutpit.

clearly the staff here are sexist.

You can also say dickpit.

Clearly, they are over sensitive about the 9/11 attacks here. Can't have anyone talking about the piloting area of airplanes.

If you start a petition to change this, I'll sign my John Han**** to it.   - D'OH.

This guy is a scumbag.  He got rich by bashing biotech stocks and then shorting them.  I had a small position in HZNP, which he shorted, and it went in the tank after their drug was approved.  It has rebounded nicely, but it still made me furious.

He bought another company KBIO and the stock price went up to almost 30.00 per share.  It was a massive pump and dump, and last I saw it was halted today and expected to open at 3-4 dollars per share.

I also just read that his lawyer is increasing his lawyer fee by 5000% just for this piece of ****.  Nice touch by the lawyer.

Archived