Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Boehner resigning from congress

Springfield

Because the Party itself no longer drives the agenda.   It has lost control to Rush Limbaugh, Roger Ailes, the Koch brothers, Wayne LaPierre, James Dobson, Tim LaHaye, Kenneth Cribb, Grover Norquist and other hyper-partisan non-elected people, and they don't answer to voters.  

Every elected official in the GOP understands that if you compromise with the enemy, those people will destroy your career.     

This is a very interesting point.  Clearly it has validity, and clearly you would get laughed at if you pointed it out in public.

I wonder if Trump is in front because some people are tired of this influence.  Not here to debate Hillary, not here to defend her, but just to state that she is not 100 percent as bad as they say because these people are brainwashing a portion of the public into believing she is the devil.  I have met people that confirm my point.  I call them Manchurian Candidates to their face.  Boehner had his issues, but at least he was, at times, a voice of reason.  Have to see if some whacko gets the Speaker job.

Sequestration 2013 was a huge win for Boehner - it is like a GOP version of an "entitlement" program that cannot be discarded.

Yet GOP members don't give him any credit for that?

Otherwise, he was a leader that was not recognized as a leader in his own party - GOP/TEA party folks never really wanted to follow/trust him. Because of that he never trusted them. He should also get credit for the "cliff" crisis obstructionism with McConnell... that is about as rightwing as you can get.

Well, I was going to quote & respond to several posts, but the smart people covered everything (yesterday was a particularly busy day & I couldn't ES...I know, whipping post is mine, LOL)

When hubby heard the news, I was putting my face on & couldn't risk poking myself in the eye with a sharp object. But even HE said, "They're gonna want the drunk in place, they just don't know it"...the stock market was going through the roof at that moment.

And I'll say 3 words for Nancy...she could count. Knew who she had on every vote. Mr. Tears couldn't even do that.

~and he never wore the flag pin on his jacket after taking his position as Speaker. What a dick.

This is a very interesting point.  Clearly it has validity, and clearly you would get laughed at if you pointed it out in public.

I wonder if Trump is in front because some people are tired of this influence.  Not here to debate Hillary, not here to defend her, but just to state that she is not 100 percent as bad as they say because these people are brainwashing a portion of the public into believing she is the devil.  I have met people that confirm my point.  I call them Manchurian Candidates to their face.  Boehner had his issues, but at least he was, at times, a voice of reason.  Have to see if some whacko gets the Speaker job.

Agreed all around. Boehner is like...the bad guy from a bad 80s comedy. Yeah, he's stiff-necked and he's going to piss you off by how out of touch he seems to be, but at least there's some semblance of reason there.

The TEA Party caucus is something that is truly frightening. In a way, I can sympathize with them because I'm supporting a candidate for President who, while a long-time member of congress, is considered an outsider with fringe ideals, but at least he has a past of reaching across the aisle and doing business with "the other side." This batch of newer conservatives in both houses give no quarter and seem to constantly come from a place of fear and loathing for everyone who doesn't think and speak like they do.

I feel great for Boehner. He's leaving a dumpster fire and I'm sure he feels lighter than air. I am truly concerned for the Republican Party, whIch seems to be continuing their slide into complete madness.

Compromise is acceptable, but capitulation makes ya expendable....just as voting for Dems makes your opinion irrelevant in a Republican congressional majority leader issue.

go play in the minors  :P

I'm sure they want deserters opinions on the matter  :P

Keep announcing that anyone who has ever done anything with a Democrat is irrelevant. It's working great.

Go play in the echo chamber.

Keep announcing that anyone who has ever done anything with a Democrat is irrelevant. It's working great.

Go play in the echo chamber.

keep making things up

maybe ya can write the Dem ya elected a sternly worded letter......I just give mine what for when we meet.

add

of course he being a Dem is not to be bothered with Republican matters

Peter King: Boehner exit means 'the crazies have taken over the party'

House Speaker John Boehner's sudden resignation Friday "signals that the crazies have taken over the party," New York Republican Peter King said Friday.

“I think it signals the crazies have taken over the party, taken over to the party that you can remove a speaker of the House who’s second in line to be president, a constitutional officer in the middle of his term with no allegations of impropriety, a person who’s honest and doing his job. This has never happened before in our country," King said in an interview with CNN's Dana Bash on Friday afternoon. "He could have stayed on.”

Boehner has done "an outstanding job," King said, adding that he was "extremely disappointed" upon hearing the news of his resignation.

“There was actually, I thought, like a hush in the room for a few seconds where no one — people like looked at each other — they couldn’t believe it. And then he read the prayer of St. Francis, which was very moving," King said of the moment when Boehner told fellow lawmakers that he was leaving office.
"I’m not a psychologist but I think John probably pretty much decided that the more he did, the more friction would be caused, and that he probably thought it was best for him to leave soon anyway, which I think is wrong," he said. "But having the pope here yesterday just sort of put John in the frame of mind [that] it’s time to leave."

Boehner's decision to resign is "like throwing raw meat" to more extreme factions of the caucus who are trying to "hijack and blackmail the party," King said. "They’re not going to see it as a gesture of peace, they’re going to just look for more."

Peter King, who rationalized the IRA's actions in Northern Ireland during the 80s and 90s, is worried about the crazies taking over the party?

Rationalized? He provided direct political and financial support (through NORAID) for a violent murderous terrorist organization over many years.

Gainesville Sun: Yoho on Boehner resignation: Yahoo!

Boehner's announcement was excellent news for U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Gainesville.

After spending 2015 pushing for Boehner's ouster in an effort that saw Yoho himself running for House speaker in January and getting two votes, it was time to declare political victory, Yoho said. Boehner announced he was not only stepping down as the leader of the House Republicans but resigning from Congress

“I am really excited and ecstatic about this,” Yoho said. “It couldn't be a better day politically for us.”

Rationalized? He provided direct political and financial support (through NORAID) for a violent murderous terrorist organization over many years.

Wow, I stand corrected.  I was aware of the guy's affinity for the IRA but I never realized he was actually supporting them.

She's not the devil. She's just one of his favorite children.

Archived