Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Boehner resigning from congress

Springfield

This is going to be very, very interesting. The GOP looks to be in utter chaos now but I know some of them wanted him out. Did Kevin McCarthy expect this and does he have a contingency plan?

just the most no votes for a speaker in a century....some ?

punishing his opposition sealed his fate....as he was warned

Do I have this right? The Speaker, who is very conservative on abortion, had to resign because some GOP members won't support a budget that doesn't defund Planned Parenthood. This is despite the fact that federal funding can't be used for abortions and that Obama will veto any budget that defunds PP. 

This seems insane even by GOP standards.

i honestly don;t understand how the current GOP hasn't disappeared to be replaced by a Bull Moose third party ... 

.... although i guess it is possible that IS what the Donald represents?

Bull Moose Party in 2015 would be a lot closer to Dems. 

Here was their platform from other 100 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Party_(United_States,_1912)

The platform's main theme was reversing the domination of politics by business interests, which allegedly controlled the Republicans' and Democrats' parties, alike. The platform asserted that: To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.[11]
To that end, the platform called for
Strict limits and disclosure requirements on political campaign contributions
Registration of lobbyists
Recording and publication of Congressional committee proceedings
In the social sphere the platform called for
A National Health Service to include all existing government medical agencies.
Social insurance, to provide for the elderly, the unemployed, and the disabled
Limited injunctions in strikes
A minimum wage law for women
An eight hour workday
A federal securities commission
Farm relief
Workers' compensation for work-related injuries
An inheritance tax
A Constitutional amendment to allow a Federal income tax
The political reforms proposed included
Women's suffrage
Direct election of Senators
Primary elections for state and federal nominations
The platform also urged states to adopt measures for "direct democracy", including:
The recall election (citizens may remove an elected official before the end of his term)
The referendum (citizens may decide on a law by popular vote)
The initiative (citizens may propose a law by petition and enact it by popular vote)
Judicial recall (when a court declares a law unconstitutional, the citizens may override that ruling by popular vote)

They'd be called dirty commies today. 

I can't wait to hear his honest opinion after he leaves office. I hope he trashes the Tea Party faction for their unwillingness to govern as I think that is the reason he is really leaving. He knows nothing got accomplished because of that group.

I can't wait to hear his honest opinion after he leaves office. I hope he trashes the Tea Party faction for their unwillingness to govern as I think that is the reason he is really leaving. He knows nothing got accomplished because of that group.

He won't say anything. Seriously doubt it. He'll still be loyal enough as a party member to not trash the tea party GOP congressmen, even after everything they did to him during his tenure.

He won't say anything. Seriously doubt it. He'll still be loyal enough as a party member to not trash the tea party GOP congressmen, even after everything they did to him during his tenure.

A lot of politician get honest about things after they leave office. It will be interesting to see.

There's been continuously bigger and bigger threats to take him out as speaker, and it looks like the resignation makes it easier to plan for the next speaker rather than split the party over people trying to save him versus get rid of him.  And given that he's Catholic, I can see why he wouldn't want that political turmoil to overshadow the Pope's visit to Congress.  I would never claim this would be expected, but given the context, I guess the timing makes a ton of sense.

But the tea party/GOP are making the party unattractive for the centrist. 

I feel bad for Boehner frankly.  Guy is a conservative and Republican, and was not overly towards the far right or middle when he rose through the ranks, but the party has shifted around him.

Add to that that unlike many in his party he's willing to at least examine potential bipartisan avenues, and this was pretty much an inevitability.  Boehner wanted to actually govern, and his party was having none of it.

Archived