Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade for Russell Wilson?

ThomasRoane

Trade for Russell Wilson  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade RG III + Kirk Cousins for Russell Wilson?

You'd take a good/maybe eventually great safety over a HOF QB?

Or do you mean that without the benefit of hindsight?

Woah woah woah, time out. When did Ben turn into a Hall of Fame quarterback? Was it before or after he was suspended for rape accusations?

Rex Grossman part Deux and a QB who is looking more and more like Vince Young everyday for a QB who has been in back to back SBs within his first 3 years. How is this even a question?

Back in 2005 there was a similar poll asking whether we should have taken Ben Roethlisberger with the #5 pick in 2004 instead of Sean Taylor. I replied that anyone who wasn't a complete homer would say yes because a franchise QB is always gonna be worth more than a probowl safety. I was castigated by fans on this site making all the same claims I see here - Big Ben was just a system QB benefitting from Jerome Bettis and the Steeler D...he's so overrated and will never be more than a game manager...and so on.

Maybe RG3 will come around, or maybe he'll be out of football in a few years. Wilson will be around and be at least a 2nd tier QB (probowl but not elite) for another decade. That said, he's not worth Aaron Rodgers money.

So you don't understand how it's even a question to do that trade, even though you don't want to pay the player we'd acquiring even close to what we'd have to?

That's curious.

Woah woah woah, time out. When did Ben turn into a Hall of Fame quarterback? Was it before or after he was suspended for rape accusations?

I'd say "potential" HOFer. He's won 2 SBs, been to three and is moving up the charts on the all time passing lists. I don't like what he did and my opinion is he should have been punished more, but he's gotten married, had a kid and seemed to have settled down. And he's been better in his 10 years than anything we've had behind center.

I don't deny he's good or great on the field, but HOF is a reeeeally big stretch, especially this early on. When I hear people talk about Hall of Fame quarterbacks that are still playing, I think of Manning, Brady, and possibly Aaron Rodgers if he's still on a roll a few years down the road. At this point in his career, Ben hasn't reached their levels yet.

Between Sean and Ben, I don't know who I'd pick. Sean died before I could even claim to know what a safety was, so I'm not in a place to judge.

I don't deny he's good or great on the field, but HOF is a reeeeally big stretch, especially this early on. When I hear people talk about Hall of Fame quarterbacks that are still playing, I think of Manning, Brady, and possibly Aaron Rodgers if he's still on a roll a few years down the road. At this point in his career, Ben hasn't reached their levels yet.

Between Sean and Ben, I don't know who I'd pick. Sean died before I could even claim to know what a safety was, so I'm not in a place to judge.

This early on?

He's been in the league for over a decade and has two rings.

Also, no one is picking a great safety over a great QB.

Again, I know ST is a god to us but he was only REALLY good for half a season before he was senseless murdered. I'm sure he was on his way to a hell of a career but we'll never know

He'd have to accomplish a lot to be thought of as more valuable than a QB like Ben. It's the nature of his position.

But I respect your opinion

I'm a fan of Big Ben but I'm of the opinion that Sean was a better player from the get go. Big Ben wasn't incredible his first few years, the steelers did a magnificent job of protecting him.

My opinion is you can find QBs like Ben but Taylor was a once in a lifetime talent. There was never anything like him before and most likely we'll never see anything like him again. It might sound crazy but that's how I feel.

Big Ben is a cert for the HOF. If he retired today he'd still get in I think. 

It's players like Eli who divide opinion. He has a case to make it in but his inconsistencies in the regular season may well keep him out. 

Ben is pretty much a no-doubter.

My opinion is you can find QBs like Ben but Taylor was a once in a lifetime talent. There was never anything like him before and most likely we'll never see anything like him again. It might sound crazy but that's how I feel.

Adam Vinatieri is a once in a lifetime K, but I wouldn't take him over Trent Williams, who isn't even the best player at his position.

Positional value matters. Taylor could have been the best S ever, but any legit Hall of Fame candidate QB is worth more. There's not an NFL GM who would think otherwise. 

Adam Vinatieri is a once in a lifetime K, but I wouldn't take him over Trent Williams, who isn't even the best player at his position.

Positional value matters. Taylor could have been the best S ever, but any legit Hall of Fame candidate QB is worth more. There's not an NFL GM who would think otherwise.

I certainly understand the other side of the argument but that's why I said it's how I feel. It's simply my opinion.

So some want to trade an good system QB who plays in a great system that works for a good system QB that plays in average system that doesn't?

You seriously think RG3 is currently a good system QB?  I would agree if we were having this discussion in December 2012. However, at this moment he hasn't shown that he can be a good system QB or even a good gimmick QB.  Right now he has potential but also a lot of questions and concerns...not to mention two straight seasons of bad QB play.  I hope I'm wrong and call me out later this season if I am, but RG3 ain't making a comeback.

You seriously think RG3 is currently a good system QB?  I would agree if we were having this discussion in December 2012. However, at this moment he hasn't shown that he can be a good system QB or even a good gimmick QB.  Right now he has potential but also a lot of questions and concerns...not to mention two straight seasons of bad QB play.  I hope I'm wrong and call me out later this season if I am, but RG3 ain't making a comeback.

For the past two years he's been battling health issues, confidence issues, and not playing in the system best suited for his skills. In 2013, around mid-season he started to have good to very good performances and that is around the time Shanahan said Griffin came to him and admitted maybe they needed to incorporate more of the read option into the gameplan. 

I don't think Griffin playing in the system is really the issue for the 2015 season, it's Gruden's willingness to change his offense to suit Griffin's skillset. I don't think he's going to do that, and we'll likely be watching Colt under center by the time we're facing Atlanta. 

With that being said if he fails and Russel doesn't resign. If i were the Skins i would throw as much money needed to get this guy.

Proven winner and clutch when it counts the most.

Yes he threw a pick to end the SB, but hes been there twice.

1.  Throwing money to him in 2016, the type of money and contract he wants, would be a stupid move.  I do not think we need to pay him for his accomplishments in Seattle.  Especially when they had a championship defense and one of the top backs in the league that helped pave the way to the SB.  

2.  He had some clutch moments and made it count.  He also had that championship defense that kept him in the position to win.  Look at his stats per game.  At passing attempts, QB rating, etc.  He doesn't have to do that much.  His overall TD/INT is ok in the regular season (20/7) but look at the playoffs (6/5). 

3.  Team effort and top defense got them to the SB twice, RW did not get them there by himself.  Put just about any other starting QB in Seattle and they would have success.  

I'm not saying he is garbage or not a good QB.  I don't consider him a top QB in the league though.  He got sacked 42 times last season.  Everyone wants to talk about his dynamic scrambling, which he can definitely hurt you with his legs, but what that number tells me is that on passing plays, he got sacked 42 times.  

Their o-line was banged up and while they were a top line in run blocking, they were very poor on pass blocking.  The argument that he would extend plays and avoid sacks behind a poor line is moot.  He didn't do it in Seattle last year, what makes anyone think he would do it here?

Now of those 42 sacks, I don't know how many were on the line versus him holding on to the ball to long, or trying to scramble and getting blown up in the backfield.  My point, paying him all that money to do what our QB already does is not the answer to fixing this team.

I'm a fan of Big Ben but I'm of the opinion that Sean was a better player from the get go. Big Ben wasn't incredible his first few years, the steelers did a magnificent job of protecting him.

It's definitely crazy. Ronnie Lott, Darren Woodson, Jack Tatum, Ed Reed, Steve A****er, Troy Polamalu, Ken Houston. Just off the top of my head. I think all of these guys would disagree with your post.

I don't give a rat's patootie who plays QB here as long as the following occurs:

1.  WIN

2.  Not lose

3.  See above

That's it.

If Vinny Testeverde could come out of retirement and lead us to the superbowl, bring his ancient ass on.

Trade RW for RG3?  Today, right now?  Absolutely.  And that hurts to say.

i think that until recently Big Ben was a middle of the road QB with a good team and a system that played very well to his strengths, but never asked that much of him.  Lately he has been better than that, but the superbowls were won when HE wasn't better.   

he is basically terry bradshaw for a new day and age (not in playing style, but in over-rated-ness because his very good overall team won superbowls when he was QB-- he was good enough, but not that much was needed from him)

in a heartbeat, all day everyday you make that trade. Wilson is what we want RG3 to be by the end of the year. In the unlikely event Rg3 looks like Wilson next year guess what, we extend him for 20+ million anyway. So you lose nothing by getting Wilson now and paying him 20+ million. Wilson is a better QB than Tannehill and Cam, two guys who are already getting 20 mill. per year contracts so it's not like paying him over 20 mill. is a leap, thats just the market now.

Wilson has already proven for three straight years that he is a top talent. It's not like I'm delusional fanboy, which we have plenty here if they think RG3 is currently anywhere his level. All the top advanced metric sites like PFF, FO, and ESPN's QBR have him as a top 8 QB, and he is only going to get better. If he stays with Seattle his career will mimic Brady, game manager at first and over time he will come into his own and save the team when the defense starts falling apart.

Also it goes without saying but no way Seattle would ever go for it.

Man Id take Big Ben all day everyday over Taylor if we could do it over again. Think of how much better this team would have been over the past decade with Ben instead of Campbell, Collins, Beck, Grossman, McNabb, Griffin, Cousins McCoy. Damn that's sad

I would have loved to see Gibbs work with a talent like that during his 2nd run. Who knows how 07 would have turned out. We also would have had a lot more drsft picks without needing to trade them all to find a QB.

Big Ben with a prime Portis, and the GW defense?

Yikes.

Archived