Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Iconic Photo Representing the US.

Larry

I'm thinking that if I were to pick a musical icon for the US, it would be The Beach Boys.

Love them and I can't wait for the new film on Brian's life to be released in 10 days, and there are others you could say like Cash; but Springsteen just personifies 'proper' America to me more than anyone through his words. Shrugs. 

Hail. 

The problem with iconic is that they are the iconic! Everyone knows them... so, the D-Day kiss, the Apollo Moon Landing are gonna be snatched up really quick. I thought I'd go another way. The construction of Mt. Rushmore. Truly an incredible effort of engineering, artistry, and the sweat and skill of hundreds of Americans.

mount-rushmore-construction-face_64402_6

72.jpg

My comment about the Beach Boys has made me think some.

Do you pick an icon that "best represents the US"? Or which "represents the best of the US"?

The Beach Boys are who I WISH represented America.

But I wonder if the icon which ACTUALLY represents America is Donald Trump.

I wish there were some good pictures of the American Frontier.  I think that sums up the American spirit more than anything.

A willingness and an ability to explore, adapt, and overcome, often at great peril.  It wasn't the Spanish or the French who could make things work on the American continent.  It was the Americans.  That spirit continues to this day with the exploration of Space, the taming of rogue countries, etc.

So, in lieu of a good frontier picture, I'll go with this.  An American ready to fight.  

comanche_chief.jpg

Burg you ever been to mt. Rushmore? One of the few I've had the pleasure of visiting. The museum they have is nice. It tacky gets in to the process of the making of it

Never have actually. Want to. Just from photos or film images it always blows me away. Stirs patriotism, evokes pride, inspires me because of its skill and ingenuity. Just a masterwork in all ways.

I was thinking of the Hoover Dam (which I have been to also) I guess probably embedded in those stories is also the difficulties, injuries, and deaths that come with a great fete... which is also part of an iconic American story. All of them, include struggle and some tragedy mixed in with the triumph.

I was thinking of the Hoover Dam (which I have been to also) I guess probably embedded in those stories is also the difficulties, injuries, and deaths that come with a great fete... which is also part of an iconic American story. All of them, include struggle and some tragedy mixed in with the triumph.

Makes me think of Waylon Jennings' line from Highwayman.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide

Where steel and water did collide

A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado

I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below

They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound

But I am still around..I'll always be around..and around and around and

around and around

My comment about the Beach Boys has made me think some.

Do you pick an icon that "best represents the US"? Or which "represents the best of the US"?

The Beach Boys are who I WISH represented America.

But I wonder if the icon which ACTUALLY represents America is Donald Trump.

Did someone say Beach Boys?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have 15 paragraphs on Dennis Wilson that I'm sure everyone is very eager to read. Allow me to prepare myself emotionally.

I wish there were some good pictures of the American Frontier.  I think that sums up the American spirit more than anything.

Well, here's one (not what you were thinking of, I'm sure) I encountered on my recent trip to Colorado...men standing on and by a huge pile of buffalo bones resulting from the slaughter of millions of bison:

bufsk.jpg

John_D._Rockefeller_1885.jpg

This is not an iconic photo, but it is one that, I think, represents the US better than pretty much anything.  Every country has had wars where they raised flags over formerly enemy soil.  A lot of countries have had terrorist attacks.  

This is a portrait of John Rockefeller.  He started from nothing, his father was an alcoholic conman people called "Devil Bill."  John began his career as a bookkeeper at 16.  Because he worked really hard, had some luck, was pretty smart, and also somewhat ruthless, he eventually became the richest man in the history of humans (adjusted for inflation).  

The United States is pretty much the only country that that could happen in.  

I considered the picture of Nixon meets Elvis, just because I like it for being so strange and unlikely.  But not really an iconic photo representing the US.  And then I considered the picture of the firefighter carrying the dead or dying toddler following Oklahoma City.  Maybe the most powerful picture I've ever seen.  Still a punch to the gut every time I see it.  It works for this topic on a certain level, and maybe you can't really represent the US without allowing for pain.  But the tragedy of it overwhelms me too much.  The dominant feeling should be one of optimism and hope for the future.  So I picked this.  Immigrants arriving at Ellis Island in 1922.  Their faces say it all.

immigrants-arrive-ellis-island-1922.jpg

kkktoddrobertsonphoto.jpg

We are a country of racism.  Yet some still have the strength of character to stand in opposition to the prejudice that would define them.  The best do so defending the rights of those who would belittle them. 

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.:" -Evelyn Beatrice Hall (I know I am quoting a Brit, but Freedom of Speech is an American Ideal)

I have given this a lot of thought, and it's a little tricky to find something that exemplifies America..

So i went with this.

man-on-the-moon.jpg

this is the best of us.

All of us,, humanity as a whole, and if we believe that the ideal of America is exceptional, than I feel a photo that represents not just us, but the pinnacle of human achievement is what sums us up.

~Bang

Archived